New Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.06.43 (1/17/13)

Thanks for your response. I’m using the same old version of Tversity that I know worked on my last PC, so it can’t be that. Unless, it is incompatible with Windows 8.

I will try updating TVersity and see if it fixes it.

I originally grabbed TVersity off a recommendation here since my Network Shares never seemed to work right after a WD update =/

Update: Yup, that did it. I’m back in action.

So now I have the option of trying to re-setup the Network Shares, or leave TVersity running. Which would you all recommend??? Any one better than the other ???

Rec0n wrote:

He didn’t minimalise the effect, just gave me advice to download the file from their site and drop it onto a USB stick instead of doing a live update over the wire as a means of minimising the chance of corrupting the FW itself.

How can there be *any* corruption when the downloaded firmware gets an CRC check prior to execution? I don’t see the difference to a local update.

Rec0n wrote:

some of which could, I guess, be the corruption of YOUR media files.

No need for caps, my harddrive hasn’t been compromised (yet) despite me being unable to completely stop the LIVE from writing to my USB media (.wdtv folder gets written even with media library turned off). File corruption is an absolute no-no for any HDD company.

Rec0n wrote:

You don’t need to attack every comment like that either - I get that you are upset about some outcome or another, but making negaitve comments about everyone else’s posts is hardly the way to try to get things fixed.

Who died and made you mod? I’m pretty sure I wont let you tell me what I can’t criticize (especially not when you pretend that’s all I’ve been doing).

Rec0n wrote:
Have YOU tried multiple reversions and re-updates of the FW at all?

Dude, being a beta-tester I’ve tried back and forth all ~30 firmwares and then some.

Rec0n wrote:
You have given me nothing of value, and that is what matters to me. 

I wasn’t aware this thread was about you, but oh well…

The file corruption issue with attached USB drives is independent on how the firmware is installed. Just to remove any confusion about this.

But it does start with firmwares > 1.06.15, right?

I can’t tell the exact starting point. All versions after 1.05.04 were dismissed because match frame rate didn’t work

HI,i did not understand if auto frame rate works or not !!!

i use the unit only with usb.

thanks in advace for yuors reply

donnie-darko wrote:

HI,i did not understand if auto frame rate works or not !!!

i use the unit only with usb.

thanks in advace for yuors reply

• *for me it doesnt. I cant recall when it did work. I am a videophile and I can notice some hiccups every now and then. I really want this feature to work (my PS3 plays 24hz movies like a champ).

i’ve tested new Fw.and until now it hasn’t remove any file but when i play a MPG Movie it hasn’t recognize Lenght of movie and when i press ff button it back to first.

same here mexiken. Updated to the latest version and now it wouldn’t recognise some MKVs. This appears random. Sometimes, it wouldn’t recognise any of the MKVs on a particular HDD. At other times, only some of the MKVs in that particular HDD. MKVs in another HDD that was recognised a week ago aren’t anymore today. Furthermore, it wouldn’t recognise HDD >3TB! WTH is going on WD?

Is there a way to know if WD intent to make a new FW? We, customers, should know that. If not, we could definetly move on for another brand. With no information we are stuck in the middle!

Perhaps this is exactly what WD want…

The 1.06.34 was planned to by the final firmware to fix the most prominent bugs but which turned out to be a colossal failure. Given the fact that the 1.06.43 still has major issues (as reported in this thread) it’s safe to say the final update’s still due.

Techflaws wrote:

The 1.06.34 was planned to by the final firmware to fix the most prominent bugs but which turned out to be a colossal failure. Given the fact that the 1.06.43 still has major issues (as reported in this thread) it’s safe to say the final update’s still due.

You may be right and there will be another, but honestly I doubt it.  Why after all these months would they release one?

You have said before that you are a beta tester and have tested all 30 something betas.  Do you have some alpha/beta that you are testing right now for these issues?  What makes you think it is safe to say that the final update is still due?

BTW:  Not trying to argue with you - I really want to know because nothing would make me happier than a new good update.

E_Demerzel

I can’t tell you anything about possible beta firmwares and maybe it’s simply projection on my part but I can’t imagine WD would end this model on a bad note like this after promising a final update that would fix the most prominent bugs. Still, I’m in no way involved in any decision making progress so if you’ve given up waiting (and I wouldn’t hold that against you)  you’d probably better move on.

So the model is ending and pending a possible actual “final” firmware…it is what it is and won’t receieve any further updates/support?

Is that correct?

I’m on 1.06.15.  I have a problem where the display resolution doesn’t hold my setting after I turn the player off.  (Sometimes it saves it, sometimes it doesn’t, not sure what makes the difference.)

Does the current firmware 1.06.43 fix this?

I have no other problems besides this.  I only use the player for watching movies off an external USB.   Don’t want to create a new problem by upgrading to 1.06.43.  

Any comments/suggestions you could provide regarding 1.06.43 fixing my resolution setting problem with out breaking any functionality would be much appreciated.

For a very long time, I had the same problem with my Live Plus not remembering video settings. I would set the video output to 1080i 60hz, however, after turning it off and on again, it would usually power up set at 720p. My older plasma TV does not support 720p.

I wrote about the problem here on this board for over a year, but it was never really fixed. However, 1.06.43 did have one change that helped: 1.06.43 had a change that would not allow the video output to be set at a resolution/frequency that the connected TV would not support. Although the Live Plus would still not remember the video settings, it would not set itself to 720p when it powered up. This helped with the problem that I was having. Now it always powers up set at 1080i, 60Hz. If you are having a similar problem, it may help you as well.

However, v1.06.43 has a very serious problem where it converts video files to folders. When this happens, it corrupts the video files and they are usually lost. I do not have an external USB drive connected to my Live Plus, so I do not see that probem. For me, 1.06.43 works the best; however, if you use a USB drive, you might want to read more about the files converted to folder problem before you ‘upgrade’ to the latest firmware.

@Scandy

Reading about the issue of file corruption with video files, you mention to be careful of running files from an attached USB drive. Does this mean in your opinion/experience that files on a network drive are not affected by this issue? I am running a Live Plus with no attached storage, and accessing all my media from another server on my network via Samba. Any thoughts, as you appear to be doing the same thing with either a fileserver or NAS?

Thanks for any input as file corruption certainly concerns me. I use a LiveHub as my main device, but my LivePlus is still in use much less frequently,  in another room.

-P

@pearl

In my experience, files on a network drive are not affected by this issue. I access files the same way you do (via Samba) and I have never had any file corruption, or files disappearing problems.

Well we are now over 6 months after the release of the last firmware and it looks like the ‘developers’ (I use the term lightly) have moved onto WDTV Play. So it’s probably safe to say “would the last person to leave this forum please turn off the lights” :wink: