New Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.06.34_V (9/24/12)

With the obvious failure of this firmware release, why is WD silent on the matter?  I thought that the purpose of these forums was for two-way communication. We’ve done our part, what about you, WD?

Can you imagine what the thousands of WDLIVE customers that haven’t thought to look for this forum are doing right now?  They are all phoning WD.  And I’m sure that they are all getting frustrated waiting to have someone explain to them on how to employ roll-back solutions to their apparently bricked or disabled media players.

…and why in Gods name, WD, are you still pushing this release?  Since it seems probable that everyone will suffer a negative user experience with this release, wouldn’t it make sense to STOP PUSHING it?

BeethovenLive wrote:

With the obvious failure of this firmware release, why is WD silent on the matter?  I thought that the purpose of these forums was for two-way communication. We’ve done our part, what about you, WD?

Most likely because this is the FINAL update and this device is now officially sunsetted. Never forgot that it’s been over a year since there was any activity at all for these devices.

But given the circumstances - the better question is - how could WD take over a year to review and code something as half-a$$ed as this and then actually feel like “it’s ready - let’s gte it out there!”.

It’s quite clear that it wasn’t tested on practically anyone’s “real world” hookups.

And nice to see Bill S head for the hills as soon as the *hit hit the fan. Quality “community manager” that he is…

VP

If you have a WD TV Live (gen2) then you should use the firmware that ends with a _V and if you have a WD TV Live Plus then you use the firmware which ends with a  _B.

The Live Plus firmware (_B) on the rollback page is only for the North American player Live Plus which has Netflix.

The Live firmware (_V) on the rollback page is for all Live (gen2) players.

Rollback Page. All the files on the page below have been modified by WD to allow rollback without modification.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

Note that after you have rolled back the player will still inform you that there is an update if you still have the usb drive connected, this can be ignored.

Amazing Update…

My WD TV Live is now slower than ever and the D-Link WiFi dongle simply sits there, dead…Great…

This is utterly appalling for a company of WDs standing. The WDTV live boxes once set the standard and I can understand no longer supplying firmware upgrades, but to release an upgrade that effectively disables the unit  is disgraceful. I have regularly used WDdishes in both a professional and personal capacity, but will do so no longer unless this is resolved. This is a sham logic display not worthy of a budget-end hardware supplier let alone a brand sas longstanding as WD…

hi, after updating WD TV LIVe seems to be slower BUT what I really need to solve is that I lost YOUTUBE Playback. When I try YOUTUBE leanback, the media player hang up or reset itself. thanks.

Wow, glad I saw this forum before taking part in this “planned obsolescence” update.

So does the normal method of downgrading still work, or did they kill these boxes good and proper this time?

So far I have noticed 2 upsides to this update.

-FLAC audio in files that would originally go silent after a few seconds are now playing perfectly.

-VORBIS audio in files that would originally make loud chirping sounds randomly are now playing perfectly.

Only downside I have so far noticed is that, like others, load time for mkv files have gotten ridiculously long. I would say that my box is slightly better off than it was before updating, because of the audio fixes, but the mkv load times are going to be a problem with concurrent file watching. I will have to play around with it some more later to see what’s broken. I did have a problem immediately after updating with getting it to connect to my computers, but that seems to be fixed after unplugging it and plugging it in again.

WD, a little advice; we all know that you want people to upgrade their old boxes to the newest versions, but releasing firmware that breaks the old devices isn’t the way to do it. It’s counterproductive and will cause people to not buy WD products in the future.

Rolled back to 1.06.15_V for all my boxes as soon as I found that .mkv takes forever to load.

In any case looking at the loading graphics, I am reminded of a view that one has when you are looking at the end of a srew that is turning. Does this meant to look that I am getting screwed?

This hunk of **bleep** can’tplay mkv files now!!! useless!!!

Chipteck2012, how did you roll back? I downloaded the file and put it on thumb drive and when I insert it and go to home and then settings I don’t see a file showing new firmware found? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Oh I forgot to add FO Western Digital you **bleep** **bleep**!!!

Apparenlty you also forgot to read the previous posts which explain which firmware to use.

Thrawn77 wrote:

Updated from 1.06.16_V

Now unable to connect to my wireless network (unbroadcast SSID, open) via AirLink 101.

It does see broadcasted SSIDs fine, 

So just broadcast your SSID, not doing it offers no security whatsoever.

SInce the 1.06.34 firmware is **bleep**, is there any way to prevent the annoying NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE from popping up every time I turn on my WDTV LIVE Plus?

Sad thing is the new firmware fixed a few things, like now my 50" plasma is recognized as 1080p without me having to force it in the settings. But when you can’t play MKV files over a network share because load times take 5 minutes (and then they stutter), and AVI files aren’t much better, well, it’s a no brainer that the firmware has to go, back to the old one (and forcing 1080p resolution for my TV).

I run Tomato on my Linksys router and was able to add an access restriction by MAC address (of my WD TV Live Plus) that blocks support.wdc.com. You should be able to do this on most routers.

just updated to Firmware Version 1.06.34_V (9/24/12)

it`s a disaster, if you have hdd connected (have a 2TB WD elements connected) it takes up to 1 (one) minute to

get the response, in other words it takes a minute if you push a button, to get it executed.

Come on WD,  you can do better than that. take it back and test it proberly before releasing a firmware that destroys

a not a perfect but fair firmware, now i have to disconnect the hdd to get it to work, and its still very slow to respond.

Hallo WD are you there ???

Hello,

i’m writing from Italy (sorry for my bad english) … i upgraded yesterday the new firmware and i agree with the others that the WD live HD now boots slowly than before.

I’ve the same problems of the previous version with the .mkv movies which consist in jerky playback … from this point of view i didn’t have any problem only with the firmware 1.04.31_V is this possible?

Yep what a looad of rubbish, rolled back to previous version.

Just put the iPlayer on and fix the actual issues

What is going on at WD???

Why did’nt they test it?

Why didn’t they fix some of the bugs from the last firmware?

This is ridiculous! I’ve waited for almost a year for WD to fix the auto framerate bug, and the random deletion of video files, and other major bugs.

Instead they bloat the firmware with new stuff , and now I can’t even use it as a simple video player (unless I wait for 1-10 minutes for the video to start). And when it start I will still have to look at stuttering video, because of the autoframerate does not work.

WD, Have you ever heard about QA?