New Release - WD Smartware Version 2.0.0 for Windows (4/16/13)

Buck73 wrote:

VulkanBros wrote:

I have 2 PC´s, one with Win 7 and one with Win 8 - both are able to hybernate (fall to sleep) and resume again.

I have not been using WD Smartware before version 2.0.0.x - but there is no problem in this version…

I’d given up on WD fixing Smartware, but if that is true, then I might have to try version 2.0.0; maybe other problems have been addressed too!!!

I wouldn’t count on it SmartWare (1.5,1.6, 2.0, and 2.1) never worked for me even after contacting customer support they were just as puzzled as me. They ended up just giving me a full refund, Bless there hearts is guess.

Continuous backup not working. My email files get updated everyday whenever I open Outlook, but guess what???  Smartware DOES NOT update the backup to the latest version.

I DO NOT TRUST THIS SOFTWARE AT ALL.

WD, give me a reason to believe in your solutions.

I also have noticed that continuous backup is no longer working for new data that is added. I checked something’s out and it seems if you put the file on the desktop and then put the file back to its original location it will then back up the new file. This is very inconvenient and needs to be fixed ASAP!!! 

edit: I suggest everyone that is set to continuous to check there backups.

Update: This issue only appears to happen when you have new file or have new data for a existing file while unplugged form mypassport. If your my passport is plugged in all new files will be backed up while mypassport is plugged in. But any new files or data that you get while the my passport is NOT plug in will not be backed up the next time you plug your my passport into your computer unless you do what I said in my orignal post. 

If you keep your mypassport plugged in most of the time you should be good but if you’re like myself who occasional do backups I highly suggest you check your backups and if you have this issue to please contact WDC immediately and let this issue be known.

P.S All my software is updated to latest version. And I have the mypassport 1TB newest model ( not ultra)

Why dont you fix it so i can use on my computer with windows 7 64bit  :angry:

erro

I am having the same or similar problems with this release.  The only files that get backed up are those that are modified.  If any new filed are added to existing folders in the backup schedule, or new folders are added, they are ignored.  Is WD aware of this error?  Any recommendations?

I found my backups stopped working after the latest windows 7 updates were applied, (another computer I had which had not applied the updates was working fine).  Removing the smartware software and reinstalling it solved the problem.

1 Like

MarkSheldon wrote:

I found my backups stopped working after the latest windows 7 updates were applied, (another computer I had which had not applied the updates was working fine).  Removing the smartware software and reinstalling it solved the problem.

This fixed the problem and the software is working like it should for now. Kudos for being a lot more help than the WDC support staff. All they offered as help was how to verify my back ups even though I found the problem in the first place by verifying the backup. Thank you for the help.

Dammmm which is great, with all the help you get on this forum. or not :manembarrassed:  why no one helps or respond to what you ask for ?

MaFIa wrote:

Dammmm which is great, with all the help you get on this forum. or not :manembarrassed:  why no one helps or respond to what you ask for ?

In these firmware update threads, we moderators do pass along consistent issues that show up.  This way the product people can see what may need to be worked on.  However, if an issue evolves out of a new firmware update, no one is going to be able to really help you.  Somethings can be recommended, but they’ll be limited in scope, and based on typical troubleshooting steps.  If it really is a problem with the firmware, then it will be up to engineering to fix it, and we will have to wait for a solution in the firmware itself.  In that case, it’s going to be hard to find help anywhere. However, reinstalling the software should have been one of the first recommendations tech support made.  Sorry.

MaFIa wrote:

Why dont you fix it so i can use on my computer with windows 7 64bit  :angry:

erro

Mafla,

My engineers are saying that the recent SmartWare update, 2.0.1 fixes that.  Can you uninstall your current SmartWare and try again with 2.0.1.  The link at the beginning of this thread actually takes you to it.

Bill_S

Bill_S.

The update does NOT fix this issue. Im also running Win7_64 bit and the drive arrived today. I have installed, uninstalled, updated firmware, reinstalled 2.0.0.11 and nothing works. Smartware isnt working. I will just return the drive if it cannot be fixed. It seems unimaginable that a piece of software wont work on an OS thats 5 years old.

I’m looking into this now.

[edit] Check your private messages.

Bill_S

I have also installed, uninstalled, updated firmware, reinstalled 2.0.0.11 and still nothing works, get same error

Description:My Book Live Firmware

Version:MyBookLive  02.42.02-012 : Core F/W

Last Update:Thu 18 Apr 2013 06:10:54 PM CEST

Plese tell me the username and password to create safepoints because I do not know it.

I am using MBL so this option does not apply to me unfortunately.

Interesting to note that WD tech support suggestion to solve the problem is “…use Windows backup…” to solve my PC sleep issue…interesting response since 7 Home Premium does not support NAS drives and wouldn’t WD want me to use their products?

Unistalled Smartware plus edited registry to remove all Smartware entries and reinstalled, all with no he to the problem.  MBL running latest firmware…

Any good third party continuous backup software people can recommend or MBL?  I give up on WD…

This describes MY problem (MY Book) exactly - except - HOW do I get back to a working release?

Yesterday - though smartware seemed to be working fine - I saw the update button and followed it to see that a firmware and software update were available. Followed all steps to the letter - But after the update - clicking on smartware yields the very quick error panel described in this post (though I did see the word exception).

uninstall and reinstall of .net and smartware have no effect.

I didn’t see availability of past releases on the download page - but I’ll check again.

The latest releases of Smartware 2.0.0.and 2.0.1 do not work on My Passport. It seems to have a mind of its own backing up some files but not all. I am using Windows 8 and have the latest firmware installed. I also have My Book Live but am currently overseas so am not sure how it is working on that device. Are you aware of the problem???

Just plugged in my passport and the same problem is back. It will not back up the files I acquired while the mypassport was plugged out. Im not going to keep uninstalling and reinstalling so Im going to look for alternatives for smartware.

Why carnt i get help, so it can work for me??  There is not much help to get here :frowning:

WD has released its next version of WD SmartWare. This thread is now closed.