New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.43.03 – 022 (10/8/2013​)

Just a note to say that my MBL updated its firmware successfully automatically on Oct 8, 2013 without issue.

WilliamH wrote:

anotherpaul wrote:

Haven’t seen any references to the actual file & the WD “update page” don’t have any references to the file.  I still think that it is safer to have the file on MBL for update because of windows’ bugs especially when the MBL reboots (a couple of times?) for updating.

I also like updating the firmware from file.

Try this link:

http://download.wdc.com/nas/apnc-024303-022-20130916.deb

Guys, this link is a good one.  However, please be careful about what links you are downloading from.  We cannot be responsible if you get a bad link and brick your device.

In addition, please keep in mind that we always recommend doing the update over the network from the drive itself. 

1 Like

I have had problems with this firmware update for weeks but stupidly persisted with updating it - especially after positive review from a few on this topic. After trying it on different computers on my network, the most recent attempt have completely ruined the drive. Firstly, the update failed as the drive gave me an error asing it wasnt sure if it completely updated or not. After rebooting,  it will allow me to view the listing of the files on the drive, but the time taken to view the files are so slow, most if not all operations times out. TheWD quick view no longer recognise the status of the drive and I cant get into it via the dash board. I have tried manual reboot as well as reset multiple times with success. I have sent an email to support. Please help.

I have problems with this firmware update too, that I applied from dashboard. It was written, that update is succesfull, waiting for reboot… Unfortunately the page failed after long waiting on timeout. Since then the device is unaccessible. The netwok indicator is green (1GB link is up). As well, the LED on front panel is solid green. But the device is not accesible anymore. Also by setup :frowning:

The device was working good before.

WB, this is very very bad, that you are putting firmware, which was not tested enough. What should I do now? I have a lot of private multimedia on it.

Have you tried accessing it by IP?

It is not accessible by IP.

Few more observations:

1. After power cycle the blue light apprears for ~10 seconds and then is changing to solid green, that looks like too fast.

2. It does not react on reset button

3. The device is always “On”, i.e. disk is rotating

Bill, I have updated my Firmware on my MBL-3TB but still not able to connect my TIMEMACHINE app on my MAC with the MBL … the error says -"the operation could not be compeleted (OSStatus error2). I was able to use the MBL for my TIMEMACHINE back up disk once it took 3 days to map the drive with 86 GB data. I need some urgent help to resolve this problem…please Thanks.

Maplewood wrote:

Bill, I have updated my Firmware on my MBL-3TB but still not able to connect my TIMEMACHINE app on my MAC with the MBL … the error says -"the operation could not be compeleted (OSStatus error2). I was able to use the MBL for my TIMEMACHINE back up disk once it took 3 days to map the drive with 86 GB data. I need some urgent help to resolve this problem…please Thanks.

Maplewood,

I’m not real knowledgeable about Mac networks, so I’m probably not the one to ask.  I do know that it should not take you three days to map a drive, whether on a Mac or Pc.  WD Support should be able to help you troubleshoot it better than me.  Below is the contact information for our tech support. You can contact them either by phone or email.  I recommend that you contact them by phone. 

Contact WD
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en

updated yesterday… now my book live 2tb wakes up after 2sec in standby everytime… last WD product for me…

My web interface (UI) is not working at all (not able to do anything with it: changing the password, selecting any option of the menu, etc).

Is there any way of reinstalling the firmware without using the web UI interface?

Thanks in advance.

(I am not able to connect with ssh neither)

One week passed, no real help from WD support. They just suggested to “reset” and power cycle device, that does not help. 

The device is not connectable…

I have just experienced the same problem as javifields.  After updating the firmware I cannot access any of the settings on the GUI. Also the GUI does not work at all on Safari and only partially using Firefox - I can see the headings (Settigs, Shares etc) but cannot drill into the menu anymore.  At least I can still ‘see’ and access the content of my MBL on my network - although I cannot re-scan the Media Server so my PS3 is ‘blind’.

Does anyone (WD?) have any ideas / tips / hints and whydid WD release software that screws its customers expensive hardware?

Do not switch off without making a backup of important documents!
I did it and now the MyBook does not start correctly. Yellow light, no possible access. I am afraid I will have to take off one of the disks and plug it to a PC and tray this procedure:
http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-607715

I know, I can take out the HDD, connect it to PC and try to make a recovery myself. But this will void the device guaranty.

By the way, looking around I found, that we are not alone and recently WD made very similar bad firmware for My Book Live successor, see  WD My Cloud Firmware Release 3.01.04 (11/5/2013 )

Before going to an extreme solution, it would be nice to hear an official word from WD on these bad firmware updates for different devices making them unreachable. Do they have new sw developers team? :wink:

Why are you still posting on this forum that WD ignores? Maybe if you write on the WD’s public facebook wall…

I can do that.  Stand by.

Do they really not monitor these forums?  Then why the heck do they even host them?

If only they weren’t the only game in town… 

Yes they do monitor them. I recieved help from them because of this thread…

solo69 wrote:

By the way, looking around I found, that we are not alone and recently WD made very similar bad firmware for My Book Live successor, see  WD My Cloud Firmware Release 3.01.04 (11/5/2013 )

Before going to an extreme solution, it would be nice to hear an official word from WD on these bad firmware updates for different devices making them unreachable. Do they have new sw developers team? :wink:

I’m not sure what official word you are looking for, but we do escalate any product issues you bring up, and WD is continuously working to support the products with continued updates.  However, it does take time to investigate the issues that are brought up, find a fix, and then test.  Many times the users won’t respond to us when we try to private message them, and so some of the escalated issues fall into inactivity.

Moreover, you should keep in mind that just because a user has an issue with the product doesn’t mean that it has a bug in its firmware.  We try to sort through those as best we can, but if you want to make sure that yours is a legitimate bug, you will need to contact support to let them take you through all the troubleshooting steps in order to confirm that it is in fact a bug.  Doing that helps us confirm it and get further information if necessary.

1 Like

Came home today to find that I could not access my Livebook after a update this morning :-((