New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.32.05-044 (9/5/12)

Just noticed the device green LED is Flashing constantly…now my network activity from my computer is nil, curious.  I did sign up for the WD2Go this morning before the upgrade, but I can’t imagine that being the cause…  

PROBLEM SOLVED.  

For some reason the Remote Access (WD2Go) was somehow causing the flashing green light,  I turned off the Remote Access, and I am back to normal @102MB/s read.  The writes avg around 35-40 MB/s.

I think my signing up for the WD2Go caused this issue as opposed to the firmware update.  They may be linked or poor timing on my part.

Jacko1, have you had timemachine backup successfully to MBL yet?  after the firmeware update, i can see the drive, but when timemachine tries to backup to it it complains about not being APL formatted.

Jawdet wrote:

Absolutely the same here with the only difference - at the moment of upgrading firmware my MBL was just a few hours old… Almost everything except System and Network settings starts with red error message “Internsl server error”. No new users, no new shares, no remote access, no password settings and so on. At the same time - no problems wit restarting, upgrading firmware and working as a simple network storage in my home LAN. Waiting for solution…

Same situation here too! :frowning:
New MBL 2 TB was delivered yesterday and immediately updated it’s firmware.
Any solutions, please?

102 MB/s read?  Seriously?   That’s astonishing, and actually a little hard to believe.  :)

You’re saying 102 megaBYTEs per second?

I have a 6-core AMD Phenom-based Linux workstation with 32 GB of RAM that can’t get over 30 MB reads…

Tony on 1GB files I get similar speeds FROM the MBL but when you go to like a 5GB file you get 100MB/s+ and it slowly drops down to about 70MB/sec after around 45 seconds. Running a Core i5 3570k with 8GB DDR3 ram @1333 I think. I was wondering why other peeps were reporting such low speeds.

5.46GB file

nfodiz wrote:

Tony on 1GB files I get similar speeds FROM the MBL but when you go to like a 5GB file you get 100MB/s+ and it slowly drops down to about 70MB/sec after around 45 seconds. Running a Core i5 3570k with 8GB DDR3 ram @1333 I think. I was wondering why other peeps were reporting such low speeds.

Well I’ll be danged.

I dug into the internals on the workstation and am finding that it’s dropping 30-70 packets per second (during peaks).  Given the TCP timeout delays, that can account for a lot of “damage.”

From my QNAP I can only get about 50-60 MByte / sec sustained.

I’ll go home later and see if I can fix it by using a different NIC.   Apparently, there may be issues with the GBE card I’m using – low buffer memory.

Tony, let me know how you make out :slight_smile:

Holy cow!

I just enabled Flow Control on my smartswitch and went from a VERY “choppy” 25 Mbyte/sec to a VERY smooth “Flat Line” 70 Mbyte second for huge files (20 Gbyte +).

Wow.  Now I can experiment with the NIC and if I can get it to run without flowcontrol – Banner day.  ;)

Good day indeed… Now if I could figure out why my network does not like the new SMB2 stack in this new firmware with the help of say a network engineer like yourself :wink: Hit me up if you have any thoughts

Time Machine backups are working fine from my iMac to MBL using Mountain Lion.  However, there are still a couple of  long standing anomalies for WD to sort out.  MBL will not sleep if used for TM backups as the drive must still be mounted in some way, even though the small vertical arrow above the share in finder sidebar is not present.  I say must still be mounted because if I remove MBL as the target backup drive from TM select disk option then the drive sleeps OK.

The other puzzle is now that the TM backup share is showing in the same section of the drive as my other shares why do we still need the seperate backup share in the finder window i.e. the one that always shows connection failed? 

Updated without any problems, but I noticed that Remote Access had been re-activated. That’s the only unexpected thing I’ve notived so far.

I have not experienced any of the problems mentionned in this thread, but I won’t be able to test the speeds just yet since I’m currently on wifi…

nfodiz wrote:
Good day indeed… Now if I could figure out why my network does not like the new SMB2 stack in this new firmware with the help of say a network engineer like yourself :wink: Hit me up if you have any thoughts

Well, it shapes up even better.   I swapped off the PCI D-Link GBE card that I installed years ago for a whole different reason back to the LOM (Realtek based) – Now it’s 93 Megabytes per second READ / 70 Mbytes WRITE…

jaggerfin wrote:

Argh. After upgrading (which had no problems) Twonky doesn’t seem to work properly. Every client either don’t see the Twonky server or report that no content is shared. On Dashboard page everything seems to be in order, Twonky is on and status ok.

I have tried to reset the My book live, reset the router … nothing helps. Is there a way to rollback to the previous 02.11.09 firmware?

I have/had the same problem…restart server didn’t help…perhaps something got messed?

BUT decided to do the rebuild the database…640+ gigs!!  Anyway it looks like twonky is finding stuff & the restart just does a rescan of the directories.

It looks like I forgot that I have to do a database rebuild after a firmware update IF I had installed a different version of Twonky as either twonky 7 ore twonky 6.x which I had installed.

So, try the rebuild of the database IF you had “upgraded” Twonky to a later version.

whew!!

TonyPh12345 wrote:

102 MB/s read?  Seriously?   That’s astonishing, and actually a little hard to believe.  :)

You’re saying 102 megaBYTEs per second?

I have a 6-core AMD Phenom-based Linux workstation with 32 GB of RAM that can’t get over 30 MB reads…

That is what the iStat network monitor was telling me on the computer.  Cat6 cable from Mac Pro (3.2quadcore/24GB RAM) tower to Airport Extreme to MBLive.

Mind you it wasn’t sustained, and it fluctuated from high 70’s to 100MB/s, but it was a 1.06 GB file.  Perhaps something larger would level it out.  

I find a 10MB/s or so fluctuation in write speeds.  Averaging around 36MB/s peaking at 41 or so.

hi all new around here.

just got my self the 3tb version and was wandering if i update to the latest firmware do i loose my files.

im guessing i dont but just gotta make sure.

regads

MICK

Just looked through the logs… I have always had the problem that the drive doesn’t want to stay asleep, but whilst it used to sleep for a few minutes but repetedly be woken up the logs now say that it only sleeps for about 70-80 seconds before being woken up.

So no real change, it just seems like something is being checked more often than before, and there have been no changes other than the firmware update.

anotherpaul wrote:

jaggerfin wrote:

Argh. After upgrading (which had no problems) Twonky doesn’t seem to work properly. Every client either don’t see the Twonky server or report that no content is shared. On Dashboard page everything seems to be in order, Twonky is on and status ok.

I have tried to reset the My book live, reset the router … nothing helps. Is there a way to rollback to the previous 02.11.09 firmware?

I have/had the same problem…restart server didn’t help…perhaps something got messed?

BUT decided to do the rebuild the database…640+ gigs!!  Anyway it looks like twonky is finding stuff & the restart just does a rescan of the directories.

It looks like I forgot that I have to do a database rebuild after a firmware update IF I had installed a different version of Twonky as either twonky 7 ore twonky 6.x which I had installed.

So, try the rebuild of the database IF you had “upgraded” Twonky to a later version.

whew!!

Does the rebuild take place with a simple restart of the Twonky through the UI?

Tried to rebuild the database, but that didn’t help. Only option was to do the factory reset - and then naturally copy all 2T of data back to the disk. A little too much work for the sake of a simple firmware update, IMHO. But now Twonky works again.

vertical wrote:

Does the rebuild take place with a simple restart of the Twonky through the UI?

No.  I had done the restart twice.  Then I selected the “Rebuild Database” option in the UI
 which got all my files recognized by Twonky; prior to that, Twonky only saw “0” in everything.   When the rebuild started, I began to see real numbers for audio & video in the Twonky status.