New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.11.09-053 (4/23/12)

I’ve been putting of this upgrade after my less than happy experiences during the previous one.  But, I bit the bullet and I pulled it off without a hitch.  No time machine backups lost this time.  Everything appears to be working as it should, and the UI is now acceptable responsive as opposed to frustratingly slow.  

My compliments on this upgrade.

GeeBee

1 Like

Same here (putting off the upgrade after my experience with the last firmware upgrade).

Everything went without a hitch.

Thank you WD for the extensive tests/fixes you performed with this firmware!

did a update with SSH update successful but didn’t reboot well… always at yellow light… what can i do?

It is now a solid yellow LED after several times of ON and OFF the MBL.

During the reboot after the firmware upgrade with SSH, I closed the Putty. Is this the reason may be for this behaviour? Please help.

After installing this update (through the UI) my Dashboard is no longer working.

If i access http://name.local it redirects me to  http://name.local/UI/login, if i input my password (i know it is the correct password!) my browser hangs/loads for a few seconds and it just redirects me to the same page (no error message or anything). If i input another password (something wrong) i get the error that my password is invalid. I have tried to reset the device, using the small reset button on the back of it. Holding it in for 4-6 sec. and waiting. I have also tried rebooting the device using ssh or removing the ethernet cable and the power cable a few minutes after. No result. This is very frustrating.

I actually thought that this update was supposed to fix this issue and not create it?

I cannot even access the dashboard with my custom device name or even after the hardware reset (using the rest button) with http://mybooklive or http://mybooklive.local. Please can someone help… 

Moderators, if you know of a solution, please help. 

The LED glows blue (at startup) to white and stays white forever without any change… 

I passed your issue along.

1 Like

Hello,

Just bought a MBL 3 TB and upgraded it to the latest firmware. When I try to copy large files the MBL just freezes and restarts itself. I read something about modify a file called s90smbd placed in “etc\init.d” (a line wich contained something like “nice…”) but I can’t find it there. It always stops copying at 90 GB approx. I have a 2 TB MBL and I havent experienced this problem with it. Any idea of what’s wrong?

Thank you

Hi,

I have the same problem. Any solution?

engcong wrote:

It is now a solid yellow LED after several times of ON and OFF the MBL.

During the reboot after the firmware upgrade with SSH, I closed the Putty. Is this the reason may be for this behaviour? Please help.

Tks,

Filipe

The last firmware update I installed was Version 02.10.09-124.  Do I need to install Version 02.10.12-129 before I install this latest update?

Myron wrote:

LOL!!!  :smileyvery-happy:

Time to create another safe-point backup…

Myron: is there a way of running a safe-point back-up from the command line?  My dashboardUI is bricked again.

I’m not sure what exactly happened since when I originally set up remote access (direct port forwarded access) under this firmware it worked without a problem and I didn’t make any changes on the drive (in fact I never sshed in until I had this problem), but recently I disconnected the network cable from the drive and when I reconnected the cable, the drive would no longer access the drive remotely, only through a relay.

I tracked the problem down to an issue with the /usr/orion/communicationmanager/communicationmanager program not sending my external ip address along in the port forwarding test command to the wd2go.com web servers (I put a space between the .com and / to prevent the forum from clipping the link):

https://www.wd2go.com /api/1.0/rest/device_communication/######?format=xml&external_ip=&external_port=PORT&protocol=HTTP&device_auth=#######

The first ###### is the device id from the dynamicconfig.ini file.  The second ###### is the authorization code.  PORT is the 443 port forwarding port. 

Since the “external_ip” parameter is blank, the request is invalid and the server responds with a 400 HTTP error with a description of " The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect ()."   This causes the communicationmanager program to always switch over to relay mode since it thinks the port forwarding check failed, when in truth port forwarding is set up correctly and working fine. 

Since communicationmanager is a binary I can’t figure out why it’s leaving my external ip address out of the request, though when the communicationmanager is run, it outputs the following error a few times: “getaddrinfo() error : Name or service not known” so it’s possible the binary is failing to get my external ip address.  The external ip address does get logged though.

I’ve worked around this issue by setting up my router to send the port forwarding commands whenever my WAN connection comes up (in case my external ip address changes) and then killing the communicationmanager program to stop it from switching to relay mode.   That’s not an ideal work around though and I shouldn’t have to do it.   I’ve emailed support, but have yet to receive a response.

Really though the external ip address shouldn’t even be necessary.  The server should just try to connect to the ip address that the request comes from.   The whole port forwarding set up is overly complicated.  The only thing the server needs to know is the port numbers.  The internal ip address and port numbers aren’t needed to access the box remotely and as stated the external ip address can be pulled from the request itself.

Is there any other logging I can do other than what I’ve already done to figure out why this isn’t working correctly?

QuadraGuy wrote:

The last firmware update I installed was Version 02.10.09-124.  Do I need to install Version 02.10.12-129 before I install this latest update?

It should update to it on its own.  Just make sure to make a backup of your data.  Always make backups before doing any firmware update.

Just installed new firmware. 

Due to the release of the newer update this thread will be closed.