New Release - My Book Live Duo Firmware Version 2.40.06-048 (12/17/2012)

After I updated my device, I can’t play FLAC files.

Mp3 and other music files is no problem…

This could be because the server is still indexing your media. Check out a post earlier in this thread on how to check. In the future we will provide better reporting through the interface, but for now you can use that method. We tested extensively with a number of media formats, and FLAC was certainly on that list.

You mentioned back to the Duo…are you using WD Smartware?

Do you have installed any other browser like Firefox or Google Chrome?

-if you do not, please start with downloading Chrome

-from the URL address field enter //devicename/UI or if you know the Duo’s IP address enter //ipaddress

(the device name is what you have named your Duo)

That error message leads me to believe that there is a problem with the IE.  By trying another browser we can try to narrow down why the dashboard does not open.

Also, when you setup the Duo, did you map a drive letter to the Public share…if so, can you still get to your data on the drive?

I just updated to the latest and so far it looks good. The dlna client in my tablet saw it right away. It used to be very unreliable. Even if it showed up, it would take few minutes.

The dlna database rescan is also complete now, atleast the dashboard Media page says so it is - in about 10 min. I do see the usage of dms_smm and mpe_server consuming about 40% each.

Ran the update for My Book Live Duo Firmware Version 2.40.06-048 and I won’t EVER do that again.

Can’t use IE9 to get to Dashboard at all! Java craps out with “R6016 - NOT ENOUGH SPACE FOR THREAD DATA”.

Firefox, Opera and Chrome can get in but functionality is SLOW as MOLASSES now.

The “Request Support” link doesn’t work AT ALL. Anything that has to query the unit now fails miserably.

Regaradless of what browser I use, it won’t EVER log out. Closing the browser locks up the process!

It’s bad enough that I can’t script a remote shutdown to protect the unit in the event of a power failure (since it apparently CAN’T talk directly to an APC UPS) but this update is totally jacked.

DID ANYONE RUN THIS UPDATE THROUGH QUALITY ASSURANCE BEFORE YOU RELEASED IT 5 DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS?? Who’s the GENIUS that approved this junk?

NOTE TO USERS: STAY AWAY FROM THIS UPDATE!

I didnt see any of that mentioned above. The update was a breeze. I am even able to access the dashboard from android device.

Like the previous posts mentioned, try updating the java.

Java is absolutely current. I’ve only been doing this 30 years.

And, you know, it worked just fine before the update. I don’t do DLNA, so I don’t care about that.

I suppose I should have gotten a clue when, brand  new, out of the box, it took 19 HOURS to change to RAID 1.

What do you mean you didn’t see any of that?

People are saying they can’t get into the Dashboard. I simply expanded on their complaints and included my observations.

I submit that most owners of this device won’t ever visit the WD Community pages.

Replying to cheytac01

Tried to open Dashboard 24 hours after update.

Fails to open with a message Data Execution Prevention - Change settings

From Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Data Execution Prevention. Selected are Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select. Checked are WD Drive Manager Service and WD Drive Manager > Status

Still Dashboard fails to open

Yes I am using WD Smartware

I have installed now Firefox and can open Dashboard, so thank you. I have not installed Chrome because I found previously it slowed this PC.

Your suggestion seems correct a problem with Internet explorer, any suggestion to what that may be and how to resolve it.

Whilst I am pleased that I have a working Dasboard, I have never seen the need for two browsers in my usage.

Thanks for your input

Update went well. Everything is much faster. DLNA is working well with Samsung BD-D8900 box over wifi. What a contrast to the previous version, thanks! 

Update went well for me too. Much faster now on upload and download.

I see two dlna issues:

1. Sorting on track number (upnp:originalTrackNumber ) which is one of the services it provides to clients. When the server provides this to client it sorts it wrongly. The order the server will present is: track 1, then track 10, then track 11, then track 2 (1, 10, 11, 2, 3) in case of a 11 track album. This existed before the upgrade, but I waited to post it since there were so many dlna fixes. This is of course important when one like to play an album in the right order.

2. I’ve noticed that after the upgrade (and index is complete), when adding new folders with music it does not index Artist name for all tracks. Well, it does it somewhat, but not on all songs. Many will have “unknown” though Album name seems to be correct. Here I’ve also waited over-night, but no change. If I do a complete Rebuild, then the information will be complete and correct (after a couple of hours). I did not have this issue prior to the upgrade.

Regards,

Surfin Swede

Thank you for trying the firefox.  That helped to narrow things down and at minimum you can get to your dashboard.

You mentioned earlier your PC is XP.  For the IE that you are using can you let me know what version of IE?

The error message you are getting is puzzling as I have not encountered it before.  Have you also regularly installed Java updates?

You also mentioned backups with WD Smartware, is it working for you now?

I upgraded the firmware yesterday. I made sure the DLNA server was off after reading what all was fixed I wanted to make sure the minimum amount of stress was being done to it. Anyway, I used Chrome to run the update while running top over ssh to watch it do it’s magic… after watching it install some debs, doing some work with dd(interested to know why), and doing what looks like decompressing some things, it finished the install and rebooted. After that it worked well and the web interface seemed to be a bit faster. I re-enabled DLNA and after it ran for a bit I tested it. It seemed to work faster and actually just worked. I have the WD TV Live Streaming box, the third gen I think. It accesses the ripped videos, in various formats, off the My Book device via SMB and it worked fine as well. I was a little nervous about it dying on me but so far so good.

Thanks for the reply,

An update and hopefully it may help others as your suggestion has helped me.

I am using IE 8.

When I used Firefox to open Dashboard a second time after installling, it asked me to install plug ins to have all features. The plug ins were Java runtime etc. The situation is now Dashboard can be opened in both IE and Firefox and opens more quickly too, than it did before the update using just IE then of course.

I am just about to start to “play” with WD Smartware, I am a newcomer to My book live duo.

Thanks for your assistance

tastymonkey wrote:

… doing some work with dd(interested to know why)…

dd is just another way of doing a bulk file copy.

If you expand “top” to see the command line, you can see exactly what it’s doing.  ;)

Regarding accessing the Dashboard after 2.40.06-048…

Ran the update AGAIN (via Opera) with the thought that perhaps something got screwed up by running the update via the QuickView utility.

Unfortunately, the Dashboard is still inaccessible via IE9 and the update is actually screwed up.

Firefox crashes.

Even Chrome locks up! Chrome NEVER locks up.

The ONLY browser that works Opera. I have an idea why but I’m not going there.

IE8 on an old XP box works, too, but that’s because security is nearly non-existent on that system.

Though I did NOT need to do this before, I just had a thought to run IE9 as ADMINISTRATOR. Well, guess what? That works.

But that means the updated Dashboard (via Java programming) is doing things that should NOT be allowed under normal circumstances.

If the Dashboard GUI is so horrible that it crashes browsers, I’m thinking I bought a $400 doorstop because it is apparent the programmers (and the managers thereof) have no idea how to properly design and satisfactorily TEST a generic across-all-browsers functional application.

And then release it 5 days before Christmas!

But this is the world we live in.

Good to hear that you can now go back to using just one browser. Will look into the java issue further here to see if I can somehow replicate the original error you saw.  Again, I appreciate your help in answering my earlier questions as it helps to provide me with a starting point.  I hope you enjoy your experience in using the Duo.

Is there any maximum of maps DLNA can use?

Both my PS3 slim and Samsung 6100 TV recognise the Duo now ( which is a step further since the may update ), but I cannot use my folder structure. 

It gives me this:

Video → Video → Artist

Music     Album

Photo     Genre

Public     Folder - > Video → *Nothing!*

Storage   *etc*         Music

Photo

Should give me this:

Video → Anime

Movies → *Subfolder with the movie’s name*

Series 

So right now, I have to select ‘Video’ a LOT without getting content.

The only way to get my content is to select ’ All video ', ’ All music ’ or ’ All photo’s ', which takes ages to load and is not sorted. The storage and public folder does work though!

Really, I think I’ll be switching it in for a non Duo product, but losing the RAID security functionality :frowning:

I’ve waited 4 months to get the NAS to work, I bought it especially for displaying content on my PS3 or VT. It doesn’t work!

Tried this: Updating WD firmware, updating x86 and x64 version of Java, Restarting the Duo, Powering off the Duo, Dis- and enabling DLNA, Rebuilding and rescanning DLNA.

I use a complete up to date Win 7 x64, and a uPNP enables Linksys (Cisco) router with 1Gb connection.

For normal storage over network the Duo works fine, btw.

Chess:

I’m not seeing that at all.

When I choose FOLDER, I am then presented with the list of shares that are “index,” followed by the folders that are in these shares.

So basically,  I pick Video

Then choose Folders

I then see all the "Share names, including “Public.”

And within each of the share nams, I see all the folders in the shares.