New Release - Firmware Version 3.04.17 for WD TV Live Hub (5/7/12)

i also backup DeVicious conclusions… we can’t be expecting the average Joe to be switching fliters depending on which folder they go into… now if the Hub could be made to REMEMBER the filter being used on a folder that could be useful but still not what we want.

Also i dont understand why the Library mode can not just have an extra Filter Option to sort by filename, really that the only extra option they would need to add… and gets over the need for WD to change any (duff) code. 

All my files are correctly named, so what i see on my PC should be what i also see on the HUB. this is what i get when Library is turned off, but we loose out because the HUB now does read the XML data correctly on different views.

anyway… out of interest… is the PNG bug fixed…or should we just give up on that bug and praise WD that the GAMES bugs were fixed instead… yah!!

1 Like

yeah can anyone confirm if the PNG issue is fixed? If it’s not, then it’s just ridiculous.

I guess it was just a matter of time before WD broke this player as well. Updated and now constantly reboots after selecting any video. What is the testing procedure for firmware updates? Do you actually have one? How this firmware was released is beyond my comprehension.  A very speedy fix is needed here to avoid more disgruntled customers!

nuraf wrote:

yeah can anyone confirm if the PNG issue is fixed? If it’s not, then it’s just ridiculous.

What are you considering a png issue, because png’s are not formally supported?

littlemalcolm wrote:

I guess it was just a matter of time before WD broke this player as well. Updated and now constantly reboots after selecting any video. What is the testing procedure for firmware updates? Do you actually have one? How this firmware was released is beyond my comprehension.  A very speedy fix is needed here to avoid more disgruntled customers!

Two things: 1) if you are moving too fast through the menu, it can cause the device to reboot; and 2) if you are using unsupported codecs in the media files, that can cause it to reboot.  Check the file’s mediainfo and make sure it’s using supported codecs.  If it is, then please post as an issue in the issue exchange.  Make sure to put in all the information.

DeVicious wrote:

@Bill_S

Works fine for me, however and at this point I am getting really upset. No changes to the logic of the Media Library.

It is beyond me how this thing passes the quality standards of this established company. You simply cant sort TV shows with that library. Don’t the programmers get enough Co2 in their cubicles?

You know I am complaining since the last 6 updates that TV Shows are sorted by their episode name instead of the file name. The they added “sort by TV Shows” which simply does NOT work, it cannot find any TV shows “No Tv Shows in this folder” (what folder??? I am no longer sorting by folder)

It is literally no effort to add the sorting option “filename” If we can sort by folder/filename we can erase all sorting problems at once in all categories. For some reasons this is ignored since forever and it starts to become a serious problem for me now.

The library is a basic feature and it is broken because the device is dictating a sorting order that is out of order.

Someone who fancy’s TV shows can not turn on the library and loses good features because of that…

It cannot be so hard to fix this, your coders are welcome to download my theme and install the demo folders with the 2 Tv Seasons, they will immediately realize what is wrong.

I am a solution oriented person but this time the solution has to come from you guys because this incomptence must end here.

Has this been posted as an issue?

Like other users I’ve m also found that my network share no longer works after the update with the dreaded “invalid user or password” error message.  Having even rolled back the firmware to 3.03.16 the problem continues. This is after trying the suggested workarounds of…

Network specific issues:

1. Redo Network Setup: Setup/Network Settings/Network Setup.

2. Clear your Network Shares logins: Setup/Network Settings/ “Clear login info for

Network Share.” Then re-login.

All issues:

1. Restart your unit through the user interface: Setup/System/”Device Restart.”

Reset your unit through the user interface: Setup/System/Reset/”Reset all settings except

Online service accounts.”

Hard reset by momentarily pressing a pin in the “Reset” hole on the bottom of the WD

TV unit. (This will reset the unit back to defaults without eliminating any media or

personal files)

1. Clear the Content Media Library: Setup/System/Media Library/”Clear Media Library”

Can anyone let me know of an alternative fix and if this firmware release has been been a global killer in terms of the network share issue.

WD - hang your heads in shame, how on earth did this release pass UAT testing!!!

My problem is if a firmware ever screws up my system, I have no USB flash drive and I’m too broke to invest in one. I lost two already since the little keychain thing always breaks.

The PlayJam loading screen is nicer… whatever they did it seems to load faster. I haven’t had it freeze up or exit out yet, but the first time I played Nutjob I had no sound. Since then no issues. That Penguin game is mad laggy.

Bill_S wrote:

Has this been posted as an issue?

Yes sir but in the meantime there is new knowledge to the topic so i shall post a new issue and provide a solution.

Can you reference the other issue, and note that this is different in whatever way?  Thanks.

My media is the same media I’ve been using since I bought my unit without any problems for the last 9 months - 100% exclusively dvd video_ts folders. I’ve just read a posting on the smp thread saying that the problem’s been introduced in the “match frame rate” hdmi setting causing the constant rebooting and I’ve now switched that off with the result of no more reboots. I still find it unbelievable how WD could have got this through testing considering how long this has taken without anyone noticing this major problem. The streaming media player is a disaster please don’t release any more firmware that turns this great unit into one as well!

Tony I have tried it both ways and another thing I did notice is when movie is getting ready to play with this firmware it shows the cover in the lower left. My Blue rays show this all the time but that is something I noticed with this firmware that wasn’t there before

I had the same problem.  The following sorted out the problem for me.

After clearing the Network name cache, and all the network media links, clear media library and NOW restart the system using the menu option in the system section.  After the restart you can readd the network media links.

Now, here I ask the question…would a full reset prior to installing the new fiirmware have prevented all this?

I full reset before each update and then right after one and I only update from a USB thumb drive. Is that overkill?

I am finding this new FW to work quite well, so my biggest question is why it seems like so many people have different problems. Doesn’t make sense to me that the upgrade screws up some peoples HUBs and others works fine.

So far I have found this FW to be much faster browsing, showing my folder.jpgs, bringing up my movie xmls and even compiling the media library. My media is on multiple machines including drives on a liveplus and all seems smooth. No problems with file types, (VOB, MKV, MP4 etc)

Each time I am upgrade, I am well prepared to roll back, but have been prettty lucky so far and found each FW better than the previous one (I did not do the one just for MLB). I find it very strange going through this thread, and the ones for each previous FW that we always have people with major issues, and, and others including myself, that don’t see those problems at all.  BTW, that certainly doesn’t mean I wont come across an issue myslef after a week or so playing with 3.04.17…

Good luck to those here who are having issues, and thanks to Bill_S for your responses

-P

Well, Bill, a lot of “issues” seem to be “resolved” in this latest firmware update.  I am, however, disappointed with the inclusion of Skitter.tv and the absence of Amazon Prime–especially since Skitter.tv is unavailable outside of NYC and is being sued by the major networks.  All said, I remain committed to WD Live Hub and continue to enjoy my personal movie collection and preserving my BluRay disks.  I have also started using Vudu (Walmart’s new program) to backup my collection.  I am more than willing to pay $2 a disk to have my collection available on Vudu; all I have to do is turn on my Hub, go to Vudu and it’s all there for me in 1080P.

I thank you, WDC, and the forum users especially for being there for me during moments of confusion (and stress), always helping me find my way through a maize of electronic info.

Well, I just did the update and now have a brick!

It will not turn on either by the remote or the power button but I hear either the fan or the HD running…NOW WHAT?

EDIT:

Whew!! Pulled the plug and she booted up when I plugged her back in. correct version of firmware is showing (3.04.17). Did a full reset after she came all the way back up. I hope everything is OK. Going to check her out now…

EDIT 2: No fix for the spinning arrow of death :frowning: ahh well, guess i’ll keep hoping.

youtube stopped showing preview pictures on video list

Thank You WD!!  FInally We Can Shuffle Videos!  I Spent The Last 2 Months Fighting With WD To Fix The Issue And They Finally DID!  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Bill_S wrote:

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Hub Media Player.

If you experience any issues with this firmware, please report them in the WD TV Live Hub Issue Reporting exchange.

Also, please keep in mind that the What’s New option in Settings still isn’t working in this firmware update.

Feel free to post your questions or experiences in this thread.

1 Like

What about PNG files? I hope WD at least will reintroduce the trick that worked in fw 2.07.17: in that fw version you can display png files for backdrop just by changing the file extension from .png to .jpg. But they broke this feature in fw 2.08 and later.

1 Like