New Release - Firmware Version 1.12.14 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (10/29/12)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

schwurbel wrote:

And even if the HD is unmounted before putting the device into standby, the WD isn’t mounting it after waking it up. I have to unplug and plug it back into the hub. Ridiculous.

No, that is, of course, the way it should be.   Standby isn’t the same as OFF.   You’re only expected to use EJECT when you’re REMOVING the drive, or shutting the SMP off.   If you don’t remove it, it’s going to sit there indefinitely waiting for you to remove it.

I don’t want to remove the HD everytime I put the WDTV into standby. I want the files to be available after waking up, which is the reason I keep the drive connected to it. You know, the “It just works”-way.

If the device isn’t properly unmounting the USB-volumes before going into standby, what the heck is it doing for those five(!) seconds between me pressing the standby-button on the remote and the WDTV going into standby?!

I know that the original WDTV never worked with USB-hubs (except with modified firmwares), which I accepted, as it was the first device made by WD. But considering the SMP being the third generation now, it’s just embarassing that these problems still exist.

Five seconds?  I have no idea.  Standby takes less than a second for me.

Futher investigation: The bug also happens when the HD is connected directly to the WDTV, so it’s no problem of the hub.

I rembered that I’ve filed an issue ticket concerning a similar issue with usb-sticks four months ago: http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Malfunctioning-USB-filesystem-after-extended-period-of-idle/idi-p/468190

Also, I get this error upon trying to play any file from the HD after coming out of standby: http://i.imgur.com/pwcxb.jpg

So whatever the OS is doing with USB-volumes regarding going in and out of standby, it’s certainly not the proper way of handling things.

Oh my god this Device has its own life!

I almost have to restart my WD live every day or else it cant find all my series on my QNap NAS (Samba)

And please add support for meta source when using NFS (linux) thanks!

Hello WD support team.

Seems like the issue I’ve experienced with this firmware appears from version to version.

My WD TV Live doesn’t see the external WD HDDs. To be more correct, they were accessible a few times but in most cases when I restart player, the HDD becomes unavailable again. It just shows the message like “No HDD is connected”.

I can’t say for sure that it depends on this recent firmware upgrade since when I unpacked the newly bought player it had a firmware 1.08 (if I recall correctly). The HDD was connected successfully that time and then I’ve upgraded the firmware to 1.12.14 as it was proposed by player’s shell. After restart the HDD became not accessible. I’ve tried several HDDs and they work the same way. HDDs are formatted with NTFS filesystem. They are WD Elements Desktop 2 Tb and WD MyBook 1 Tb.

What is even worse is that I can’t downgrade the firmware since USB flash drive is also not accessible. After several eject/insert cycles it becomes visible and proposes the update but after restart (when the upgrade itself occurs) the USB flash becomes not visible and update fails.

Player model is WDBGXT0000NBK-EESN, Serial # [Deleted]

I’m not a novice in hardware but I can’t do anything with my player, sorry. Going to return it unless somebody helps to resolve this issue :frowning:

First of all have you tried a factory reset. Two ways of doing this -

1. Via the reset button next to the front Usb

2. Via the reset in setup

Sure I did the reset both ways.

Resetting is just a waste of time in barely fixes any problems. Especially those which cannot be changed by config-options. Just another way to silence those with problems.

Resetting may or may not cure all problems but its something that everybody should try in the first instance.

As a follow-up to http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Firmware/New-Release-Firmware-Version-1-12-14-for-WD-TV-Live-Streaming/m-p/528103#M2881 now this ghost-unmount is also happening after an extended period of idle.

I can get into the file browser and start a file for playback just fine, but then the error-message pops up after a couple of seconds.

Please, WD, fix this!

richUK wrote:
Resetting may or may not cure all problems but its something that everybody should try in the first instance.

If it’s such an universal cure for everything, why isn’t the reset being done after every firmware update?

Nobody said it was a universal cure, its just something that should be tried if you have problems. Its a fact that resetting and rebooting overcomes immediate problems with a lot of products. It may not work but its the first thing you should do if you have a problem and its about the only thing the average person can do on their own without any technical knowledge.

Just about a WDTVLS box and it’s currently on FW 1.09.10. Googled for the latest firmware before updating and it seems there are more issues than solutions. Should I keep at the current firmware or is there an interim firmware I can use instead?

I, and others on here are having good luck with the 1.11.14 firmware (most recent previous one since the flawed 1.12.14).  You can get all previous firmwares here http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/p/208,393/ , along with instructions on how to install them.  If you’re planning on connecting external USB devices, 1.11.14 is the ticket.  I’ve also got one that’s doing netflix streaming duty on 1.12.14 that’s not causing trouble yet, but I’d go with 1.11.14 anyway, just to be safe.

Had issues with this update… my WD was working fine before it did the auto update.

I have a 3TB WD external with movies/ videos… after the update I cannot fastforward or skip to a time interval.

If you try to do that the system freezes and then you get a message that the mediaraby has been disconnected. Then you cannot find the external drive… no matter how much your reboot. The only was was to disconnect the power on both (drive & Media player) then it will find the drive again.

With 1.11.xxyou can fast forward/backward… not a problem.

Hi can anyone help  have read this thread with interest thought I’d go with firmware  Firmware Ver. 1.11.14 

box is new and came with  Firmware Ver. 1.09.10 

downloaded and is showing on new firmware found as 2.11.14 is it safe to update?

Many thanks for your time

kaktai wrote:

Hi can anyone help  have read this thread with interest thought I’d go with firmware  Firmware Ver. 1.11.14 

box is new and came with  Firmware Ver. 1.09.10 

downloaded and is showing on new firmware found as 2.11.14 is it safe to update?

Many thanks for your time

That is designed as a rollback firmware and therefore the version number has to be greater than the firmware installed to fool the player into downgrading. The actual firmware is 1.11.14 and it is safe to use. Because of this fooling, at the end of the update it will say that there is new firmware again but you can ignore this and eject the USB drive.

Excellent News! Many thanks for prompt reply

Hi

My iso files from a newtwork share no longer works. : (

Pretty frusrating. 

Is there anything i can do to help you solve the problem 

Br

Rasmus Voss

Three months and no update. So, is this the end?

Sort of doubtful it is since they only just added  hauppauge tv tunner support and its hardly a finshed addon.

That and the share issues are not something you want to leave a product with.