New Release - Firmware Version 1.12.14 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (10/29/12)

So I am having a problem witht he new firmware,  It will play stuff fine for a few episodes movies, then it will just hang when i try to play something else and then it will tell me i am having a fatal exception and the box needs to reset.  This will happen a few times and then it will play fine again for a little while and the circle starts over 

I don’t see anywhere that the issue with duplicates being displayed after a video file is deleted from the WD UI has been addressed in this update? Is this an actual WD issue, or is it happening to me alone? I’m connected to my NAS as video media library via SAMBA over LAN (unRaid box). This happens only when I delete from the WD menu. It does not actually create duplicates on the NAS, it only displays as such in the WD > Videos menus.

rob77 wrote:

Hope this helps Techflaws

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxtZUanRN-oASnE4M0ZZUWltMm8

Couldn’t reproduce it on CRT nor flat TV, no stutter at all. Gonna try another flat TV tomorrow.

Techflaws wrote:

rob77 wrote:

Couldn’t reproduce it on CRT nor flat TV, no stutter at all. Gonna try another flat TV tomorrow.

Did you try it at 24hz on the TV? If I have it at 60hz the film runs fine.

rob77 wrote:

Out of interest, I have also downloaded your movie clip and played the file. I have no stuttering at 1080p 50 / 60 or 24Hz.

I don’t know if its because I am in the UK or its my TV (LG full HD) or something else.

Heya,

Upgraded yesterday, but found that I could no longer connect to my OSX NFS Shares…

When I tried to select the Network share on the WD Live Streming, only ‘windows shares’ option showed up, not Lnux/NFS shares…

I then downgraded, back to 1.10.33, and the NFS shares worked again.

My OSX is @ version 10.7.5 (Snow Leopard) with all latest patches.

grillp wrote:

Heya,

Upgraded yesterday, but found that I could no longer connect to my OSX NFS Shares…

When I tried to select the Network share on the WD Live Streming, only ‘windows shares’ option showed up, not Lnux/NFS shares…

I then downgraded, back to 1.10.33, and the NFS shares worked again.

My OSX is @ version 10.7.5 (Snow Leopard) with all latest patches.

Starting with firmware 1.11.14 Linux shares is turned off by default. You can turn it on in Setup.

richUK wrote:

Out of interest, I have also downloaded your movie clip and played the file. I have no stuttering at 1080p 50 / 60 or 24Hz.

I don’t know if its because I am in the UK or its my TV (LG full HD) or something else.

Hi Rich

I am in the UK also but see the stutter/double frame every 40 seconds. I wonder if it’s to do with my TV then and how it processes 24.00fps material? It’s not that bigger deal really as most of my collection is 23.976fps. It would be just nice to be able to play the few 24fps titles I have smoothly.

Someone has so kindly uploaded these which show the problem really well  Motionbars

Try both the 1080p23.976 and 1080p24.000 and see if you can see the stutter

Sotje wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

Sotje wrote:

(who wants to look at juddering VC-1 streams in MKV containers?)

Noone, which is why I ripped mine properly and I can watch VC-1 in MKV without any judder.

Whatever “properly” means in this context.  Good to know that we can consider your  setup (hence the ripping software you are using + WD TV Live) to be the global reference for validating whether something has been ripped properly or not… when it’s playing without judder on a WD TV Live → ripped properly, when it’s not playing… uhhh.

We should send an eMail to the development teams of VLC, XBMC (Windows and Ubuntu), Microsoft Media Player, nVidia and AMD and tell them, that they didn’t implement the MKV and/or VC-1 specifications correctly as all the MKVs that judder on my WD TV Live play flawlessly on every other player/codec I’ve tested so far (including the combinations mentioned above)… shouldn’t we?

To get serious: The fact that your rips are playing without judder definitely doesn’t prove, that those which judder got ripped improperly. Anyway, which software are you using?

Regards

Sotje

I’m with Techflaws.
I have several hundred movies ripped in MKV format (vc-1, Mpeg-2,4, H.243, etc.) and all stream flawlessly from my NAS to several different SMP and Live Plus’ boxes via wired GbE. 

Before bashing the box, you might want to verify your network, fileserver and rip method first.

As for me, I do my own rips of my DVD/BDs and don’t download ANY **bleep** from the internet.  I use either MakeMKV or DVDFab and occasional MKVmerge to edit audio tracks.

rob77 wrote:
Did you try it at 24hz on the TV? If I have it at 60hz the film runs fine.

Not sure, my WDTV is set to auto but my TV doesn’t show the frequency, the one tonight will.

Tinwarble wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

Me either.  Hey, has anyone experienced anything funny with Hulu Plus?  Problems with shows playing?

The only thing that I’ve notice is the first few minutes when a show starts the video resolution is off.  There’s a lot of distortion at the beginning, then the resolution seems to go back to normal.

Thanks, Tinwarble.  I’ve been experiencing that as well.  The other issue I think has to do with Hulu+.   They advertise some shows but there are no videos.  All my shows, that I’ve been playing, have played fine - except for that “de-resolution” at the beginning.  I’m going to try it and see if it happens when I play movies as well (though I don’t remember that being a problem before).

tjkaz wrote:

I’m with Techflaws.
I have several hundred movies ripped in MKV format (vc-1, Mpeg-2,4, H.243, etc.) and all stream flawlessly from my NAS to several different SMP and Live Plus’ boxes via wired GbE. 

Before bashing the box, you might want to verify your network, fileserver and rip method first.

As for me, I do my own rips of my DVD/BDs and don’t download ANY **bleep** from the internet.  I use either MakeMKV or DVDFab and occasional MKVmerge to edit audio tracks.

I don’t download movies, either.  Even though I already wasted several hours trying to rip VC-1 “properly”, I gave it another try during the last hour. Here we go:

Source:

Original(!) BluRay “Mitten Ins Herz” (Music and Lyrics), EAN 7321983001420, Germany

Software:

I followed your recommendation and used MakeMKV v1.7.7 [win(x64-release)] on Win7 64bit

Ripped the main movie (00000.mpls, which refers to 00000.M2TS) including the english and german DD 3/2+1 audio tracks plus two german subtitle tracks. After that I copied the resulting title00.mkv to an external USB HDD, moved over to the WD TV Live SMP and connected it directly to the front USB (so no NAS involved here, but playing from a NAS showed exactly the same symptoms with the previous rips I have):

Result:

• First judder after at 00:00:03 (in the Warner Bros. intro… but only for one or two frames, I could live with that)

• inacceptable judder at 00:35 while the “Village Road Show” logo slides in

• noticable judder in ending credits (in case you don’t know the movie… there is a music video running on the left side of the screen while the credits are softscrolling from bottom to top on the right side. Seems like two frames get swapped whenever the stream is containing a keyframe due to the action/cuts in music video on the left)

• some judder here and there, e.g. at 00:06:32, after Hugh Grant finishes the phone call.

What I can tell so far is that the VC-1s that show judder, most of the time are (the german releases) from “Village Road Shows” (e.g. The Matrix Triologie, which are from Warner/Village Road Shows as well) - judder can easily be verified by looking at the “Village Road Show” intro at the beginning of the movies. The worst so far is “The Matrix” where you have a “mean time between judder” of may be 15 seconds spread all over the movie… that one by the way was ripped using DVDFab… and again no download but from a physical/original BluRay.

And all these movies will play fine without any judder after demuxing and remuxing them into a m2ts container… but in m2ts you can’t have chapters… what a pity.

It’s possible these movies are encoded/authored with settings that are throwing off the LIVE when inside an MKV container. You might wanna upload a ~3 min clip (both MKV and M2TS) of Matrix to Mediafire so people can see what happens on their TVs.

Issue resolved after using device “Reset” option:

Firmware causes:

Network HDMI audio to disconnect after each rew, fwd, and long pause. This causes receivers to reset the audio detect.

A/V disconnects should only occur when a file is loaded during properties configuration detection.

So now instead of one disconnect per file you could have multiples.

This accelerates the wear on receiver components that uses a switch (click/click)!

Local storage playback seems good.

Fixed this network issue with a device reset under options.

Hmm.  I definitely don’t see that happening…

When I pause / ff / rew, my HDMI AV receiver stays at its previous setting – Usually Dolby Digital or DTS. 

It doesn’t reset…

wow great new firmware we have here.  so far its given me an offer to sign up to acetrack and broken mkv playback.

WD this is why you are not going to take over the livingroom.

Hey just wanted to say thanks to WDC for their continued work on this product and its firmware. I now own 3 of these SMP’s and have been very happy with their performance and reliability. The kiddos now know how to use them and that in and of itself is fantastic!

I know you guys likely don’t hear it often enough, so just wanted to give a shout out. Keep up the good work and thanks again!

/edit

I’ll keep my apple tv in the living room for airplay support (next to the SMP), but it hasn’t been used much lately. Luckily it draws less than 1W in standby. :wink:

Same issue here…reverted back to 1.10.

Same issue here…back to 1.10.