New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.16_B for WD TV Live Plus (8/2/11)

Zorbak wrote:

My Yamaha HTR-3063 receiver is less than 6 months old and allows all audio formats…

• *> No, it doesn’t…   It doesn’t support AAC…

deleted

1 Like

I was having trouble with my receiver not detecting the audio source for movies correctly(Dolby Digital, Dolby ProLogic, DTS, Stereo).  This worked fine before the upgrade.  I checked the Audio Output option under the Audio/video settings and the option had changed to Stereo.  Updated to Digital Pass Through via optical only  and all is well again for Audio(selected DTS, Dolby Digital capable. Unchecked AAC and WMA pro capable receiver).  I have some .iso files that played normally prior to the upgrade but just hang at startup now.

I have to say all is good here with my 2 boxes.  Neflix even seems to be a bit ‘snappier’.

I don’t subscribe to Hulu+, but the samples work fine.  The menu ‘off to the left’ is fixed - whoot!

My 2 Live + boxes are both hard wired and are connected to my Synology NAS.

My wife has already fiound the games - I need to hide the remote from her…

I’m having the same problem.  There’s a thread started on Tversity’s support forum too.  http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65812

Yeah. I am sad to report that Hulu Plus seems to work but there’s some sort of instability where it freezes up or my TV screen goes blue (hooked with a HDMI->DV cable) and needs to be unplugged because the remote ceases functioning. So far that seems to happen right after Hulu Plus finishes loading usually. Also the keyboard and remote directional-function keys are very laggy making it annoying to type when searching for stuff on Hulu Plus.

Oh and the new Games “feature” is just annoying, unecessary  & a tad pathetic. If I wanted a game machine I’d go buy a gaming console. I bought a media player and that’s really all I expect it to do. ls the icon of a console gamepad is simply ironic. I’d love a way to remove it.

Anyways thanks for the update, really. I haven’t had as much trouble as most of the users here. But, seriously, if they want us to test-drive their firmware for them but they don’t want to clue us in on what they have planned… then just make the firmware open source or something and let us actually write decent firmware FOR them. Just my 2 cents worth…

Looks like I’ll be waiting out yet another firmware update…still on 1.04.19 or something like that…everything I need it for is working, so I’m not touching it!

I’m real happy to have Hulu. I signed up immediately and it’s working well. I have a fairly slow internet connection (about 600kb download) and it runs fine on sd. I’m pleasantly surprised at how well Netflix and Hulu work at this speed. We love our Live Plus and tell others. I just think it needs a snappier name.

same issue here with TVersity.  looks like I’ll be rolling back as well.

I have to admit, I love these devices.  I replaced all cable boxes in the house with these and canceled Comcast  TV service.  WD does offer a lot for the cost and seems to haeve regular updates too.  Combine these with PlayOn and TVersity and you can’t beat them.  We use PlayOn for Hulu and TVersity for a few custom audio streams (police scanners at home, local NOAA weather radio and an online radio station stream) and online Sirius with XMTuner.

I think in order to appreciate them fully, you need to like to tinker and tweak some.  They’re also good if you just want them to work out of the box (for the most part).

i have the very same problem now with my 4.5tb drive. usb icon flash and then drive shuts off. it worked just fine prior to upgrading firmware. have you had any luck reverting back to older firmware or found a fix?

fixed it with a downgrade of firmware

I have an external case with 4 X 1.5TB drives in a raid 5 to equal 4.5TB drive. It worked just fine with ALL the older firmware versions. My son got the new firmware found  window and upgraded to 1.06.16_B and after that no more external USB drive. Followed directions at this URL to downgrade firmware back to 1.05.04_B.   http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

All is fine now

Since the new firmware my WDTV is not as responsive as it used to be. When I watch a mkv and I press pause or play there is a delay of at least 2 seconds now while it used to be instantaneous. Same thing if I press the option button, there is a delay before it appears and if I change the audio stream or subtitles there is a delay of at least 2 seconds before the new setting is applied.

It is not a deal breaker and I won’t downgrade but it is obvious the device is not responsive now. I’ll admit it is quite annoying though. I guess it might be a bug, I don’t think the software requires more processing power now that the current hardware can give but only WD engineers know.

Could you please take a look at the response time of the device?

Wow. I was so excited about new firmware.

But after reading this thread, i’m gonna hold back installing this firmware.

My unit is working as good as i need it to be.

WD, fix this ASAP!

Installed the latest firmware (version 1.06.16_B) Great! now my device cannot read my external drive.

I have an external case with 4 X 1.5TB drives in a raid 5 to equal 4.5TB drive. It worked just fine with ALL the older firmware versions. My son got the new firmware found  window and upgraded to 1.06.16_B and after that no more external USB drive. Followed directions at this URL to downgrade firmware back to 1.05.04_B.   http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

All is fine now

I find it very strange and irresponsible of WD to break the device’s core function ie to play files from an external usb device or network device.

Thank you!  Firmware installed without problems and, as per the release notes:

“Resolved poor menu performance due to background task running.”

Yessss.  Menu performance is back to where it should be.  

Several frame rate issues have popped up with this release, as well.

When selecting 1080p60, the Plus throws up an error that my tv doesn’t support the resolution. I’m using a projector, and it absolutely does. If I force the resolution it, of course, works fine. So this isn’t game breaking, but it is a sign of potential underlying problems.

What is game breaking is the frame rate issue. If I manually set the unit to 24p, I get intermittent stuttering on my videos. I have only noticed it on some Blu-Ray MKV rips, but, of course, this renders the unit unusable. If I let the Plus autodetect the resolution and choose framerate matching, it will not switch the framerate at all. It tries to, but will just go back to whatever the menu is set at when actually playing the file.

As I use the unit in my home theater, proper 24p performance is a necessity. I would love to use this firmware on my other unit, which sits in the bedroom, thanks to the long awaited addition of Hulu Plus, but I have not tried it there, yet. The other menu fixes also are a positive, so I hope a fix for these game-breaking bugs can be rolled out quickly, so that I can take advantage of them.

These are just the issues I’ve noticed thus far, and will be rolling back to 1.05 in the meantime. Please fix them, Western Digital, and quickly. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Yeah I lost my TVersity access as well. It just states there is no media in the folder.

laptopquestions wrote:

Loaded 1.06.16_B, but had to roll back to 1.05.04_B since my Linksys/Cisco WUSB600N v2 wireless USB device would no longer work properly, even after a hardware reset :dizzy_face:.

Curious if anyone else has seem similar issues with their wireless dongles.

BTW, this is the first time that I have had to roll back my firmware.

I think you may have given up too soon.

I also have the Linksys/Cisco WUSB600N v2 wireless USB adapter. After I upgraded to 1.06.16 my wireless adapter did not connect. I had to go into the setup and re-enter my wireless key. I selected for it to connect Automatically. It did connect, but when I turned my Live Plus off and on, it went back to not connecting again. I started the wireless setup again and re-entered my wireless key, then I went to Wireless Favorites and noticed that even though there was only one entry here (the wireless connection that I just made) nothing was selected as the default. I highlighted the wireless connection that I just made, and selected it as the default. A dot appeared next to the wireless connection in the Wireless Favorites list. After that, the WUSB600N v2 worked fine.

For me, the key to getting my wireless adapter working again was to set the WUSB600N v2 as the Default adapter. Hopefully, that will work for you too.

I too had to rollback from the 1.06 update to 1.05.

Problems with 1.06

* Pandora streaming was unusable. Songs would stop unfinished and move ahead in queue. Or, songs would stop at end and takes minutes to load next song.

* Netflix menu took much longer to load initially (on the order of 60-120sec instead of almost instant). When trying to load content, Netflix would work up to ~25% complete and then fail most of the time.

* Games content is insufferable. I don’t really want it taking up firmware space, but I tried it anyways. It took ages to load (3-5 minutes) the game menu and then another 5min+ to load a game (Bejeweled knockoff) before I gave up and exited out.

* Lack of Amazon VoD. This isn’t specific to 1.06, but we all know the WDTV needs Amazon VoD to remain competitive. And to be more awesome in the future.

Rolled back to 1.05 and the issues went away instantly. I’ve streamed hundreds of hours of content through Pandora and Netflix on the WDTV without issue until 1.06.

Even though I didn’t keep 1.06, there were some (stated) benefits that I noticed.

* Menus were snappier.

* Alignment issue with audio track fixed.