New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live (8/9/11)

Hi everyone, 

have read in this forum for quite some while and followed the update history … still a little dissapointed … also needed to roll-back 'cause of the new bug in the frame-rate switching … 

Having the problem now, that the WD is still reporting a new firmware evey time I switch on. 

Anyone have an idea what the URL or the IP adress of the server is so I can switch off on my router ? Don’t want to cut-off the web access at all (youtoube etc.) 

thanks, max 

Thanks so much!

Deselecting AAC compatible … worked immediately.

I had thought it would be good to choose all the options, but that was a mistake.

Now everything is fine.

Max_BL wrote:

Hi everyone, 

have read in this forum for quite some while and followed the update history … still a little dissapointed … also needed to roll-back 'cause of the new bug in the frame-rate switching … 

Having the problem now, that the WD is still reporting a new firmware evey time I switch on. 

Anyone have an idea what the URL or the IP adress of the server is so I can switch off on my router ? Don’t want to cut-off the web access at all (youtoube etc.) 

thanks, max 

anyone let me no what are the symptoms of the frame rate switching not working…  i’m not sure now if its this i’m expieriencing or because about the same time of  firmware update i updated my crt to a lcd tv set… now the movies look more pixalated? cheers

Upgraded to version 1.06,15_V from 1.05.04_V. TV connected via hdmi. Wired LAN/Internet connected. Two 1TB WD Elements Desktop Hard disk.

On start, the usb led flashing for at least 15 MINUTES :angry:  before to recognise both hard disks. Same results connecting 1 hard disk alternatively in random positions (or a usb key).

I tried all known procedures, also the check of both HD directly on my pc: no change.

Downgraded to 1.05.04_V: works fine.

Re-upgraded to 1.06.15_V: same problems.

The problem still persist also using te “eject” button on the remote control before pushing the “off” button.

Once started it works fine, but 15 minutes are an unacceptable waste of time.

Do you have same hints?

Thank you in advance.

@chritu was trying to play a stereo AAC which I understood the WDTV would (or used to) automatically convert to stereo PCM even when digital audio is enabled (only multi-channel would be output unchanged).  I’m pretty sure it’s this way in 1.04.22, so is it true to say that now WD have added the “turn off AAC” setting this affects not only multi-channel AAC but also stereo AAC which was OK in the past always output as PCM anyway?> * * *
TonyPh12345 wrote:

@chritu:

If your receiver doesn’t support AAC decoding, then DIGITAL PASSTHROUGH WILL NOT WORK.    Setting the WDTV to stereo causes the audio to be converted to stereo PCM.

Go through the Audio Setup and turn OFF AAC in your HDMI settings.  See if that helps.

Two issues occurring since this firmware upgrade:

1.  Flingo content is now blank, i.e. the status bar indicates content is loading, but the screen then goes blank and stays that way.  HOME is the only key that appears to work.  Power cycling makes no difference.

2.  Firmware update option is not available on the SETTINGS menu.  Numerous USB keys tried.  No change in behavior.

I have been using this firmware for a few days now,

I now have a problem when starting the media player and that is it does not get past the opening logo. I have found a way around it buy turning the power off at the socket and then back on and restarting with the remote.

Its a real pain in the [Deleted]  waitng for it to start not knowing if it will or not.

So question how do I roll back the firmware to the previous version and where do I get the down load to do that???

Max_BL wrote:

Hi everyone, 

thanks, max 

support.wdc.com

Please note that WDTV live cannot copy or move any file to the root directory.

Older firmware could.

Today I’ve tried to copy a file from a HD (USB2) to a pendrive (USB1) and I couldn’t because there was no folder in it.

I had to insert it in my PC, create a new folder, then copy the file in the WDTV.

Please, fix it in the next firnware.

Thanks !!!

hello, I have the same problem can not play movies since the last update, after a few minutes the movie stops and then restart the next movie. Is it possible to move to the previous firmware? or need to reset the factory? I am French. Thank you for your response. Regards.

hi

here :  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/p/208,299/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxNDg4MjcxNC9zaWQvckJ5RDVfQ2s%3D

regards

pawson

Hello I went here

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/p/208,299/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxNDg4Mzg1Ny9zaWQvZXFoNWFfQ2s%3D   and rolled back the firmware to this version   Firmware Ver. 1.05.04_V  and so far everything is working fine now it still takes a little while to start up but it does it first time.

Read this first to decide if you still want to go ahead.

Important: Downgrading your firmware is not recommended by WD. Please only downgrade if you experienced an issue that prevents you from otherwise upgrading or using your WD TV product.

As I said it worked for me.

Cheers

After updating to this firmware I can no longer play any videos from my media server ( Linksys E3000, and yes I’ve reset everything to try and get it to work )… it just tells me there is no media content found.

hello since the last firmware update whenever I want to find new information about a movie my wd goes off and restarts itself and I can not update the movie information.Anyone else with this problem? And how can I fix?Thanks in advance

ok put back the factory settings and it solved the problem.sorry for the inconvenience

Problem:  Detection of network shared drives inconsistent.

Method to Replicate Problem:  Navigate to network share, select share, get spinning circle of death.

Repeatable:  Yes.  Occurs frequently.

Work-Around:  Go to Network settings.  Test Network connection. Completes successfully.  Return to Video–Network Share-Select share and shared drives will appear immediately

Given the number of problems caused by 1.6 firmware, I hope that WD are not going to wait another three months before they issue the necessary upgrade to fix these problems.  Clearly the 1.6 upgrade is not ‘fit for purpose’ as it  sabotages some fairly essential features of the unit.  I suggest WD make an earnest effort to deliver a firmware upgrade soon that addresses the shortcomings of 1.6.   I, for one, am losing patience with a unit that does not deliver the performance that it advertises.

After trying it, I must say I’m totally disappointed by WD one more time! This firmware is **bleep** as always.

It destroys the NTFS filesystem in my hard disk. When I replug the usb hardisk to my windows computer, it prompts to scan and fix this usb disk.

IMHO, WD haven’t  delivered BETA version firmware but ALPHA. More and more obvious bugs exist in the new firmware. Have you guys really tested the firmware you published? It’s a shame for a big company like WD to always publish firmware full of very very obvious bugs!

Nothing to look forward to, just throw my WDTV Live to the rubish can!

SoNic wrote:

See, you have 50Hz. That is NOT correct. Why EU still clings on that stupid frequency for video in the “digital HD” era is past me.

The movies are created at 24Hz. Easy to reproduce at 60Hz, not so easy at 50Hz.

Maybe is a bug for that conversion due to the fact that Autoframe doesn’t work anymore. So before the WDTV was FORCING your TV in 24 or 60 Hz mode, it was all good. Now, because the fact that your TV WANTS 50Hz, the box does some extra framerate conversion.

I have 60Hz so… that is different.

Like I said, if firmware it wasn’t working for nobody, it was WD fault. If it is just a small minority of complains, there is no point of calling their work “garbage”… just analyze your end.

PS: Funny that you didn’t like it when I called your stuff with the same words like you called WD programming… :smileyvery-happy:

Thats just gibberish.

I too have the same problem, after the upgrade to 1.06.15  the USB hard disks, when repluged to my windows computer, it prompts to scan and fix this usb disk. the scan in turn says no erros found. This happens for a 350 GB WD elements USB2, 2 TB My Book USB 2 and a 1 TB passport USB 3.

If there are no usb drives connected to the player the USB indicator flashes on the player. work around reset to factory .

Detecting the USB drives takes too long. Also if we go to Video > USB> it sometimes shows USB 1 even though there is no USB drive attached to USB 1

After this update I can no longer get sound from ANYTHING with stereo .ie. files/internet media.
I can only play DTS files.
ISO’s have no sound. 
Anything with dolby digital has no sound.
I say again, the same files that used to play no problem no have no sound through any type of lead(hdmi,optical)

I’ve been resetting, backtraking down the firmwares and back up again, changing setting/wires, hdmi-optical etc etc all without success.
The box in now usless to me. (And to think 4 of my friends bought one on my say so).

I don’t want games or internet media or any orther stuff.

Can anybody recomend a player that plays all the files that this one used to do.?
I have to get one before next weekend.

BTW whats the warrenty on these. Only way they’ll listin is by buring thier pockets and sending them back.

Thanks

Gaelmart