New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live (8/9/11)

This upgrade trashed my WDTV HD Live plus player.  Nothing plays.  Not avi’s and not mp3s. 

I followed the instructions at http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800 .  The player is now in an endless loop asking to upgrade from 1.05.04_B to 2.05.04_B.  I followed the release notes to hard and soft reset.  Nothing I tried works.

What am I supposed to do now?

arthurgalpin wrote:

The player is now in an endless loop asking to upgrade from 1.05.04_B to 2.05.04_B.  

It’s SUPPOSED to do that.  Just EJECT the USB device.

-Bugs found:

–My WD My Passport  500GB White don’t load!!! (restore factory settings,too)

Rollback again to one of the first updates of the WD TV LiVE.

:((((((((((

Thank you for the reply.   

I also post this to ask WD to update their instructions to include this information.  There’s nothing at http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800 that tells you to remove the firmware from the USB device.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

arthurgalpin wrote:

The player is now in an endless loop asking to upgrade from 1.05.04_B to 2.05.04_B.  

Wrong firmware, if you got the Live not the Live Plus use the V version not the B

hello altogether,

the latest firmware 1.06.15_V finally “forced” me to register here to drop off some complaints.

The WD TV Live HD Media Player is available for a pretty long time by now. I bought it long time ago b/c the comments on the net sounded good compared to other media players around and i was satisfied with this silent little box but i quickly found the first “bug”: there was no auto framerate! I just wondered how they could miss such an important and necessary feature that every DVD-Player is capable of. Finally they introduced auto framerate with firmware 1.04.22 but then it didn’t work anymore in any following firmware. It stays on 50Hz, no matter if it is 50, 60 or 24Hz video. :cry:

The second minor strange thing was the ridiculous german translation “8 bit” to “8 bisschen”. This text bug was in for many firmware versions and a lot of german user reported that to WD but nothing happened. They managed to fix that with the actual firmware 1.06.15_V *gosh*. Instead there’s written " Dobly Digital" in the new Audio Output Settings now. It’s maybe not a big thing but it kinda shows how they handle QA at WD - looks a bit embarrassing for such a big company, right? How could they write good program code if they fail to verify simple text? :dizzy_face:

I just hope the programmer(s) will be able to concentrate on the reported bugs concerning media playback instead of putting in “cursor games” and other unwanted features delivering new bugs to us. For my part i agree with some others here that the firmware 1.04.22 is still the one with lesser bugs and a working auto framerate, so that’s the rollback for me.  

Note: i taped two little squares of black paper over the bright LEDs to avoid getting blind. 8 )

Final words :
Please make the auto framerate working solid , keep up the already good media compatibility and do at least a little bit of QA for your customers, so we don’t have the hassle with every new firmware release. I really like the hardware but the software is giving us headaches.

my WD TV Live HD:
P/N: WDBAAP0000NBK-01
Model: WDBAAP0000NBK-EESN

TV: Sony KDL-40Z5500 1.741EA

I double-checked.  I definitely have a WDTV Live Plus   WDBAX0000NBK.   Thanks for replying.

Again, another note to WD:  The device should ensure that the firmware upgrades are appropriate–even Windows checks to make sure that service packs and hotfixes are appropriate to the version of itself.   That’s my opinion–people like me don’t enjoy troublshooting a product that was working just fine before an upgrade trashed it.

Hello,

Since I ugraded the firmware I am not able to copy files between medias:

Disk connected  and recognized , I would like to copy  a file (music)   to it.

I select the source file,right  arrow  on the remote control ,OK

Select the copy icon ,OK

Then when system asks to select  target  I couldn’t  do it  using the right arrow for  the disk .

It sounds like an old bug I had  after an upgrade.

DId some of you have this kind of bug

quizface wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

arthurgalpin wrote:

Wrong firmware, if you got the Live not the Live Plus use the V version not the B

He said he had the Plus, so that’s the correct firmware.

arthurgalpin wrote:

The device should ensure that the firmware upgrades are appropriate…

It does.  If it were the wrong firmware package, it would have just been ignored.

k16charger wrote:

Just upgraded to  latest 1.06.15. The menus are very slow and my external HDs…non of them are working, Any idea how to fix this? When I plug them in the usb light flashes on and off. Normaly the light will stay on.

My recent expierence - external USB drive with file system errors or any rerrors is not recogniozes by WDTV (latest firmware)

PC recognizes USB drive without problem. In PC simply made disk data check, fixed some errors on disk and then WDTV recognized USB drive in a seconds

I have two  2TB Hard Drives attached via USB ports to my WDTV Live.

After the 1.06.15_V firmware update, I cannot access one of the hard drive and soon after connection the drive file system cannot be read via any computer.

I would like to roll back to previous firmware, and search almost all night, but copying the older firmnware to a  USB thumb drive for loading  is not working for me.

Please help this Junior member.

Yasmin.

NYC

yasmin wrote:

I have two  2TB Hard Drives attached via USB ports to my WDTV Live.

After the 1.06.15_V firmware update, I cannot access one of the hard drive and soon after connection the drive file system cannot be read via any computer.

I would like to roll back to previous firmware, and search almost all night, but copying the older firmnware to a  USB thumb drive for loading  is not working for me.

Please help this Junior member.

Yasmin.

NYC

I had the problem like you. You did right for copying the older firmware to your USB thumb drive, but you need to do more by editing the file .ver and put the version above the 1.06.15. For me, I put 1.06.16 and it worked.

Good luck!

Thank you. I will try again this afternoon.

If this works, my other headache is to format corrupted 2TB drive and re-copy all the contents from Archives!!

Shouldn’t WD test the firmware before publishing?

Next time I will wait a month before jumping on firmware upgrade.

Yasmin

yasmin wrote:

Thank you. I will try again this afternoon.

If this works, my other headache is to format corrupted 2TB drive and re-copy all the contents from Archives!!

Shouldn’t WD test the firmware before publishing?

Next time I will wait a month before jumping on firmware upgrade.

Yasmin

You are right. Me too, I’m the WD customer too, but the firmware things have disappointed me. I think WD developers haven’t tested their firmware well before releasing. Hope they will do better in the future, else they WD will lose many customers and their developers too will be laid off.

I suggest, for your hard disk, I think you should connect it to your computer and wait for a little long time because your hard disk is big. May be your computer can automatically scan and fix. If then you feel hopeless, you can do like what you planed.

subtitles dont seem to work with AVC DTS-HD files.

why?

I got this last update few days ago. Unfortunately, I have a problem that wasn’t there before the upgrade. I’m using my Android phone to push DLNA content to my TV through my WDTV Live box. Before the upgrade, everything was working perflectly. But now, my WDTV Live box is freezing after a video playback in a playlist. It looks like it tries to start the second video because I can see the TV flashing one time, but after that, black screen and no response from the WDTV Live box. I have to disconnect/reconnect the power. Before the upgrade, videos were playing one after another without any problem. I don’t think the problem is in my phone software since it was working perflectly before the upgrade. After the WDTV Live box hangs, my phone is still usable but the box disappears from the ‘Detected DLNA devices’ list. So the WDTV Live box is really dead at this time.

Thanks for the latest firmware. I have found 2 issues I would like to share:

1) Subtitles selection

As English is not my native language I prefer to use subtitles. When watching a mkw with separate .srt files the player can show the wrong subtitle. However after selecting the wanted subtitle again it shows the subtitle correct.

1. Slow in-film controls

When using pause/play the player responds after maybe 1 to 2 second now. I have seen others reporting this and a factory reset should solve this. In my case it did not fix the issue.

Besides the scanning of the USB hard drive every time I turned on the player I also had a bug that caused the player to stop playing movie if I made changes in the menu (like setting subtitles). So I had to turn the player off and on again (and wait for 5 minutes to start watching movie again :cry:).

Now I downgraded FW to version 1.04.22 which works fine for me.

hi

what model is your yamaha amp. Does it show 24bit/96khz /192khz when play flac. Mine yamaha rx v663 doesn’t

show any info , depsite i use HDMI cable, audio pass thru.

Please advice me.

tq