New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.31_V for WD TV Live (4/6/11)

I have the same problem with my WDTV. Sometimes it is purple and then it comes to the normal colors… That happened after I updated it with the new firmware.

I have a WD 2 TB external HDD attached to the WDTV, it is a Mac OS Extended(Journaled). The thing is that it takes 5 minutes! to recognice the HDD…! What’s wrong with the firmware update?

ANY ONE ANSWARE MY QUESTION ? OR IT WILL BE FIXED IN NEXT UPDATE ?

Still not resolve problem audio in format bluray 1080p mkv (rip to hd x264) 6channel DTS , no audio true HDMI cable. Video is perfect but no audio. Please resolve this problem in next update . I waiting so long for this, about a year.

tomacco,

I see that you’ve been discussing this issue in its own thread where bill_s from WD asked “Did anybody post this issue in the latest Firmware thread?  That’s where the engineers are going to be looking.”

So I know you’re not trying to be annoying, but for your info you’ve got it a bit wrong.  The thread I mentioned above is for the WDTV Live Hub, so I guess that must be the equipment you have.  This thread here is for the WDTV Live … it’s different equipment so this is not the place you should be posting.  Also one post would be enough, not 3 times here plus 2 times in the 1.04.22_V thread that pretty much all the same people would have read.

Kind regards & I hope you get your problem solved.

tomacco wrote:

Subtitles are off-centered (shifted about 4-5cm to the left).

I try with 1.04.31 and 1.04.22 firmware.

I use wd live and sony 46’’ KDL-W5500.

Wonder if anyone notice the micro judder in both 23.976 and 24hz MKVs in the latest firmware. There are issues with 24hz (not 23.976) files since firmware 1.02.21_V but now they both dont play smoothly. Tried USB and over Network. It’s sad to see that there are more and more new useless features (facebook, internet radio jonx etc.) but the main part (video player) gets worse with every new update. The new mkvmerge fix (and maybe auto detect framerate when working properly) was the last really useful fix/feature. Please focus on the basics and make them work properly.

supermandre wrote:
Wonder if anyone notice the micro judder in both 23.976 and 24hz MKVs in the latest firmware. 

What is “Micro Judder?”

So I’ve waited patiently at 1.03.49V until the VOB stutter over network was fixed.  The latest release note states that VOB issues have been fixed.  Reluctantly, I did a USB update and full reset, and played my test file over the network as before.  Success!  The VOBs play steadily without hesitating; thank you WD for finally fixing this, just don’t break it when you add any more useless internet “features”.  Now I can report bugs again since my player is current, and the annoying “new firmware found” message ceased.  Honestly, you guys have to put a radio button in WDTV setup to disable the notification, or just have it briefly flash a little flag at the corner of the screen.  It’s anoying being plunked on the update menu doorstep on every turn-ON.  What do you tell those to whom you’ve recommended a firmware retro-date, or do they just have to live with the annoyance?

My menu color and brightness changed like so many others reported, although I’ve not seen the “late 60’s acid trip” screen that some have experienced, thankfully.  I don’t think it was a gamma change as some brightness and contrast adjustments of the TV got it back right.  I have a Sharp AQUOS with 10-bit DACs and use 12-bit deep color mode over HDMI;  there is a visible difference between 8-bit and 12-bit setting, the latter appearing better as it renders far less stepping in regions where a primary color gradually slews from dark to light.  I never had the HDMI handshake problem, ever since I fixed my cable to deal with the dumb connector problem in the WDTV box design.  Once set to Auto or manually to 1080P, it always goes there eventually, even though on power-up from AC-OFF it starts off with 720P momentarily (I think that’s some sort of default).  Good to see that didn’t get broken in the new F/W. Please keep it that way, WD.

One minor issue when I shut the unit off and turn it back on before my attached USB drive (Seagate Expansion 2TB) auto shuts off.  More often than not, the WDTV won’t see the drive from that point on until I do a full AC unplug reset of the WDTV.  If I let the drive auto shut off after the WDTV turns off (about 5-7 sec), I never see the problem and the drive always appears at next turn-on.  I can live with this, but it would be nice if it worked more cleanly and less troublesome for those in my family less technically astute.

Is there a way to clear selected line items out of the UTUBE search history list?  It tends to collect a lot of clutter when I’m searching for something and have lots of partial entries or mis-tries.

have another problem since the release and could not find it in previous posts … sound stopped going through the optical to my audio receiver … only Stereo through the HDMI to TV speakers … tried the Audio/Video settings and only Stereo works but not the other two (PassThru OR PassThru optical only)

Anyone with help on this problem

Thanks!

Terribly sorry … found out my kid pulled the optical cable end from the audio receiver … Should have checked this first … but never happened before … anyways,  again my apology for this  … all good on this front now.

I installed the new update with the exact opposite result.  Now .vob that didn’t have the problem of stutter and the others all stutter.  The only ones that don’t are my .iso files.   Am I doing something wrong?

the only problem I’m noticing since upgrading tonight is the weird black level loss while only in the UI…blacks have a slight gray look to them now. Once a movie is selected you can see the grayness in the info band but then turn dark black in a couple seconds. The movie/show itself still looks fine…no blackness issue there. If I go back to the menu from watching a movie you can see normal blackness on the UI for about a millisecond and then it looks like someone turns the brightness/black level up a little bit.

Hi there, I also have the issue around the movement within sub-folders containing images (jpeg files) of the videos within folders, where by the highlighted folder will jump over several folders, making navigation almost impossible in this view mode.

In the meantime I’m using the “list” view mode of video sub-folders to navigate.

Otherwise an exceptional product I’m delighted with!   

my subtitles are off-centered (shifted about 3-5cm to the left) and I was wondering if this could be changed somehow.

I have a sony kdl 46w5500 lcd tv.

what can i do?

I try with 1.04.31 and 1.04.22 firmware.

I use wd live and sony 46’’ KDL-W5500.

Is there any progress on this issue?

3TB…zzzzzzzzzzzzZZZzzzzzzZZZ…How about in the next release???

TO WD STaff

about the heavy Toslink Audio amplifying Bug

which is appearing since 2009! …unfixed.

I started the Live & Plus ideas a while ago and now more and more people come up with even adding Audio Samples and descriptions of this Mess.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Live-Live-Plus-Ideas/Remove-Optical-Audio-6dB-8dB-Amplifying-which-causes-Crackling/idc-p/176832#M4621

I really wonder why no one replies to  this Problem here or anywhere else AVS Forums , WDTV Forums or here.

Not even my Support Ticket is replied after 4 Weeks.

I would really like to know if you take care of this Software Bug already.

Thx

Azumi wrote:

TO WD STaff

Dude, you have a fixation. Numerous people here told you that there is NO such a bug but you insist… Check the rest of your system.

Noticed this problem recently after firmware upgraded to v.1.04.31.

WDTVLive doesn’t start up properly after turning on power. It hangs after the WDTV Live startup screen… can’t see menu at all… just blank (no signal). I had to turn off and on the power few times, until I got the menu.

Wonder if its due to the latest firmware. Previously, no such issue. I even unplugged all USB connections to make sure.

Also the menu background / color looks fugly … blotchy / pixelated (not smooth looking)

@Sonic: Actually, it does exist and is easily reproducable. You can try it yourself just by playing the mp3 located here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Live-Live-Plus-Ideas/Remove-Optical-Audio-6dB-8dB-Amplifying-which-causes-Crackling/idc-p/176112#M4607

The audio on that mp3 is perfectly normalized, yet it distorts like crazy when played back through the WD TV Live. Be sure to turn the volume down before you play it so you don’t damage your speakers.

And please post back and support fixing this issue once you actually try it for yourself.

Problems here since the update to 1.04.31 the player is not working correctly. Plays some iso, some mkv, but some of it does not play at all and then it just hangs and a black screen. Sometimes pressing stop makes it go back to the file list or it just stays turned with a black screen and the only option is to unplug the power. Downgraded to 1.04.22 and the same happens as written above. This 1.04.22 worked flawlessy before upgrading to 1.04.31 so nice it seems I have an RCA machine??? I was so happy with it until I upgraded to 1.04.31. I had an HDX1000 before which failed almost one month after buying it (and support was really bad). I thought lets give WD a chance but again I see these machines just do not last a long time. I should have spent 200 euros more and bought myself a quiet HTPC… Angry Angry Angry

SoNic wrote:

Azumi wrote:

TO WD STaff

Dude, you have a fixation. Numerous people here told you that there is NO such a bug but you insist… Check the rest of your system.

Listen , i tried this on 4 Highquality AV Receivers and 4 Models of the WD Live including several Toslink cables so why do you tell such rubbish it does not exists while there is enough prove it does exist.

Stop writing things like this and no one ever told me its not existing ok?

Who of the WD Staff told its not existing?

Like if i have nothing better to do then testing the heck out of this mess like others.

And funny its not appearing once you make a HW reset right? So its my System if i do a Side Plug HW Reset and then it works and once i power off it distorts like crazy again with all normalized Audio?

Really lol.

After the firmware update to ver. 1.04.31 my WD Live TV is unable to play any of MPG2, or VOB files. The previous firmware versions worked fine. Now the progress bar shows that media is being played, but the screen is just blank, no audio. I can acces all the menus and all the UI works. Looks like the wheel is running but the hamster is gone…

Surprisingly I am still able to play a couple of AVIs I keep for test purposes (I have seen some users having issues with these).

I access all my media over the network, play over HDMI…

WD TV Live should be a mature product by now, yet they still cannot get it right… It is suprising how many times this type of issues are surfacing over and over again. I there anybody in the QA control at WD?