New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.22_B for WD TV Live Plus (3/8/11)

http://www.simplehelp.net/2010/04/12/how-to-fix-the-error-cannot-connect-to-netflix-please-try-again-later-if-the-problem-persists-please-visit-netflix-comhelp-on-your-computer/

I wonder if the same thing that is preventing NTP is blocking NetFlix…

Optimum Online DNS (CableVision’s networking service) refused to resolve *.ntp.org.  Switched the router to Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and suddenly the WD LIve Plus has the correct time and date.   And Netflix works.

I still think that we need a UI on the box for the date/time.  Figuring out that your ISP has blocked NTP is not something that most people are going to want to deal with. 

*not going to want to deal with.

I meant to mention that computers in the house did OK with Netflix during the outage.  

Just dowloaded the new firmware, now I none of the videos play correctly, everything stutters with intermittent sound, what to do?

bejay277 wrote:

Just dowloaded the new firmware, now I none of the videos play correctly, everything stutters with intermittent sound, what to do?

try a side button reset.

Thanks, it worked.

I have a live plus and never updated any firmware before on that one. Should I update to this firmware?? Does it cause any major problem like the last one about the looping?? Any sugesstion?

Also I have a hard time playing this MKV

Using MediaInfo I get this information

Frist Video Stream

2 834 Kbps, 1280*720 (16:9), at 29.970 fps. (header Stripping)

Frist Audio stream

129 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 16 bits, 2 channels, AC-3

Any firmware to fix this problems??

I updated my TV Live Plus and did a full reset, software reset, hardware reset and left unplugged for a long time. I then turned it back on and set up my wifi network, youtube password, city for weather. While watching a youtube video the screen went blank and then my tv reported loss of signal. I cycled power and tried a different video, same result. I forced the video setting to 720p instead of auto, same result. This is with an hdmi cable. One of the features of my LCD is that it will tell you that the other hdmi input as just seen a signal. If I turn ob my WD TVLP the LCD will indicate that there is now a signal on the other hdmi input but when I switch to that input I still get no output of the TVLP even if I wait a while to let it boot.

I don’t know if anyone else has similar problems. I will try the component cables later and do anothe full reset.

It depends what firmware you currently have and what kind of video files you want to play.

You need to work with m2t or mts files from your camcorder, or you expect DVD navigation over LAN for VOB files inside VIDEO_TS to work ? Then 1.03.29 is going to work. Of course then you get ones in a while a message “You cannot connect etc…” while trying to get to Netflix if you use its services and you have to “factory reset” and enter access code again to make it work. Not sure if this is fixed at all with new fw though .

Requirements can differ immensely from person to person.

johnvic wrote:

I updated my TV Live Plus and did a full reset, software reset, hardware reset and left unplugged for a long time. I then turned it back on and set up my wifi network, youtube password, city for weather. While watching a youtube video the screen went blank and then my tv reported loss of signal. I cycled power and tried a different video, same result. I forced the video setting to 720p instead of auto, same result. This is with an hdmi cable. One of the features of my LCD is that it will tell you that the other hdmi input as just seen a signal. If I turn ob my WD TVLP the LCD will indicate that there is now a signal on the other hdmi input but when I switch to that input I still get no output of the TVLP even if I wait a while to let it boot.

I don’t know if anyone else has similar problems. I will try the component cables later and do anothe full reset.

I am now convinced that this is not a frimware problem, but a hardware problem.

Had a very strange occurance last night.  I plugged in 2 1TB WD portable drives into the WDTV, one on each port, then used the remote to power up.  When I tried to access videos via the Videos/Folder menu, I got a message requesting I enter the password for one of the drives.  I have never passworded any of my drives.  I declined, and that drive was no longer available.

I unplugged the USB cable for that drive and re-inserted it.  It came on-line normally and I was able to access the videos with no further issues.

In reply to   johnvic

I output the HDMI to an amp, then HDMI out of the amp up to the TV.  If there is no activity on the WDTV (ie, idle, turned on, not currently playing a video or audio file), the amp goes into a low power saver mode cutting off HDMI video to the TV. 

It’s possible there is some activity timer that’s being reached.

Rider wrote:

In reply to   johnvic

I output the HDMI to an amp, then HDMI out of the amp up to the TV.  If there is no activity on the WDTV (ie, idle, turned on, not currently playing a video or audio file), the amp goes into a low power saver mode cutting off HDMI video to the TV. 

It’s possible there is some activity timer that’s being reached.

Maybe, but it’s been working for a few months and only recently started failing. I tried it on my LG LCD and my Panasonic Plasma.

For those of you who continue having problems connecting to Netflix to activate or to watch Netflix videos, the problem sporadically continues with the new version 1.04.22_B!

The problem lies with not being able to connect to Netflix because the Date/Time is incorrect.  For some reason the WD TV Live Plus rarely gets an date/time update and thus uses the default 12/31/1999.  For me, pulling the plug for 5 minutes and doing a cold start did not get me the correct date and time.  This must be a WD firmware bug and you cannot manually set the correct date and time.  A workaround (sometimes) is to go to “System Settings” and change the “Set Time Zone” to some time zone other than your own and then change it back to your time zone.  For me, this only worked once…good luck in getting the correct time on your WD TV Live Plus.  But once you do, you will be able to access Netflix for activation and videos.  DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR MEDIA PLAYER ONCE YOU GET THE CORRECT DATE AND TIME OR YOU WILL LOSE IT!  I’m on a UPS until they get the bug fixed.

Also note that you may need to have a correct IP address setting for the NTP time server in your router.

Hope this saves somebody the 8-10 hours I wasted tracking down this solution.

For those of you who continue having problems connecting to Netflix to activate or to watch Netflix videos, the problem sporadically continues with the new version 1.04.22_B!

The problem lies with not being able to connect to Netflix when the Date/Time is incorrect.  For some reason the WD TV Live Plus does not always automatically get an update and thus is about 10 years wrong.  For me, pulling the plug for 5 minutes and doing a cold start did not get me the correct date and time.  This must be a WD firmware bug and you cannot manually set the correct date and time.  A workaround is to go to “System Settings” and change the “Set Time Zone” to some time zone other than your own and then change it back to your time zone.  For me, this forced the media player to correctly update the date and time and then I was able to access Netflix.

Also note that you may need to have a correct IP address setting for the NTP time server in your router.

Hope this saves somebody the 8-10 hours I wasted tracking down this solution. 

I upgraded to 1.04.22B in the hopes that WDC had finally produced a Firmware upgrade that didn’t introduce a new bug. FAIL. Much of the Netflix interface is missing. I can see my instant queue, but nothing else like recently watched or top picks. Downgrading to 1.03.49_B fixed the problem. Every version of firmware that I’ve tried since that version has had something broken in it.

Hi.

I recently bought my Unit from Amazon, im really happy with it, but i also bought my Airlink Wireless N150 Model AWLL5088 . As you know, the model AWLL5077 is supported by the Unit, but, when will it be compatible?, I want to stream videos, thats why i bought this unit, so far, i havent been able to do it. 

Please your comments

Well, after getting burned before by faulty firmware releases since 1.03.49_B, I took the plunge and installed 1.04.22_B and followed the formal reset process (reset to factory defaults, side button reset, power off).  Anyway,  I found now that if I select HDMI (Auto) and select “Match video framerate” when prompted to ON, it will NOT allow me to set the “HDMI deep color mode” from 8-bit to 12-bit.  It will go through the  process like it is allowing me to and when I get done it still shows 8-bit.  If I select OFF for “Match video framerate” I can change the “HDMI deep color mode” from 8-bit to 12-bit without issues.

What I am wondering is if this is working as designed with the color mode setting being tied to the new AutoFrame feature mentioned in the release?  Can someone please clarify if this is a bug or if this is working as designed?

I checked the product manual and it is “legacy” when it comes to being up to date with these firmware updates.  It would be nice if WD took the time to update documentation.  I would imagine it would save a lot of needless “head-scratching” on the part of the users as well as redundant support issues.  Even if WD only released an user manual “insert” referencing new functionality, it would be better than nothing.

Thanks!