New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.17_V for WD TV Live (12/30/10)

Most likely you’re using NTFS filesystem. If YES, then you could check the folder permissions of these locations you cannot see with your wd tv live. Another way, It could be that your wd tv connects to your smb shares as a guest, but you use correct credentials with your laptop/pc. If you don’t know which username/password your wd uses, disable the autoconnect to network shares feature of the wd tv live. After that you can enter the correct user/password.

dro666 wrote:

Most likely you’re using NTFS filesystem. If YES, then you could check the folder permissions of these locations you cannot see with your wd tv live. Another way, It could be that your wd tv connects to your smb shares as a guest, but you use correct credentials with your laptop/pc. If you don’t know which username/password your wd uses, disable the autoconnect to network shares feature of the wd tv live. After that you can enter the correct user/password.

Yes, I’m using NTFS for all my HDDs. My WDTV Live connects to my shares using the same administrator username and password that I use to login to my PC and/or Notebook. Both my PC and Notebook have identical admin username and password accounts.

FuGGer wrote:

Yes, I’m using NTFS for all my HDDs. My WDTV Live connects to my shares using the same administrator username and password that I use to login to my PC and/or Notebook. Both my PC and Notebook have identical admin username and password accounts.

hm, sounds like another bug. In my opinion this dev guy for the wd tv is a bit overstrained. Otherwise its not explainable why they need so long to fix the problems with actual firmware versions.

At least I can tell about my working setup:

firmware: 1.03.49

• qnap ts-119 nas for smb access and media server

which is linux based, fanless and has enough cpu power (1,2ghz) for smb/ciffs sharing

also have thouthands of album in mp3&flac format. network access is no problem with this setup…

VERY IMPORTANT PROBLEM or BUG in this version. I’m come from 1.02.21 and with the new version audio AC3 Dolby Digital over HDMI not runs (at least in mkv files…) … i’ll downgrade the system because this is a basic feature that now not runs…

In Firmware Version 1.04.17_V for WD TV Live, when you tries to copy/move a file into an empty or without media files directory  you gets an error saying “no media files in this folder”

Development → Testing → Release.

You just skipped one of the most important steps. 

Guess which one(!)

God, do you really have a marketing/after sales department?

FuGGer wrote:

I have two 2 TB WD Essential external HDDs connected to my PC (Win7 x86). One has 780 folder containing movies in each folder. The other has 384 folders shared.

I have another notebook (Win7 x64) that has a shared folder containing 295 folders (each containing FLAC albums).

WDTV connects wirelessly to my WRT610N.

PROBLEM: WDTV Live only displays SOME of my shared content. Eg. WDTV Live only displays 684 folders shared when that drive has 780 folders shared. What happened to the rest? Why are they not displayed?

Same with the other drive…180 shared items viewable/playable when there are 295 folders shared.

Same with notebook with FLAC content shared. Only 120 out of 295 albums displayed.

Note:- I can see, delete, play, access ALL my shared files on / from my PC / Notebook (vice versa).

I have the same thing. Example:

I have a folder with 42 subfolders inside. Suddenly I can see only 26 top subfolders in it. If I split this folder into 2 separate ones (21 subfolders in each) I can see all of them.

I tried create brand new folder with different name and copy everything thre. Same story happens: only 26 top subfolders are visible. I double checked permissions, change the name of my computer, tried different settings in WD, reset device to factory settings etc. and nothing helps!

I have more cases like this on my share. What I noticed this happened to me after I upgraded to latest release 1.04.17_V. However downgrading to previous version doesn’t solve the issue.

I’m really stuck and annoyed about this… HELP please!

I see that you fixed the Airlink USB Wifi problem with the WD TV LIve Plus but how about for the WDTV Live?

From the WD TV Live+ Firmware 1.04.18B:

Resolved issue with Airlink Golden 150 and D-link DWA 131 Wifi adaptors not working with 1.04.17_B.

My unit was working perfectly until the _17 update and now my wifi doens’t work at all. Can’t connect to my router. Please update the firmware for the WD TV Live now!

PLEASE !!! Mr. bill_s don’t joke … WHEN       WILL      BE       RELEASED     THE     NEW     FW    ???

BE CLEAR PLEASE !!! WE ARE TIRED !

mthx & regards

In Firmware Version 1.04.17_V for WD TV Liveyou can’t to copy/move a file into an empty or without media files directory  if you has seen an error saying “no media files in this folder”

I’ll try to explain in detail. I created the next scenario in wdtvlive attached disk:

The empty folders were created in a computer and, for first time, these folders were presented to wdtvlive. Then I copied “video_file.avi”  from “Test” folder to “1 Empty_folder” without any problem.

OK. Then I deleted the “video_file.avi” that I copied into “1 Empty_folder” and, with “Management Files”, I get into “2 Empty_folder”. Then it shows an information message: (Translated) “No media Files in actual folder”

When WDTV knows there aren’t media files in a folder or subfolders tree, then these empty folders disappears from directory list. And doesn’t matter if there any other file types in the folder.

Consequently: it occurs that is impossible copy or move files into empty folders or, exactly, “no media files folders” once WDTV knows that fact.

Latest Wd cares only for wd hub and forget the wd live i think.It has a lot of problems with the latest firmware and nobody cares?This is not the wd that i know.

masterbutz wrote:

PLEASE !!! Mr. bill_s don’t joke … WHEN       WILL      BE       RELEASED     THE     NEW     FW    ???

BE CLEAR PLEASE !!! WE ARE TIRED !

mthx & regards

Hopefully, sometime today.

1 Like

@ Community Manager bill_s

Hopefully, sometime today.

Nice to hear that Mr bill.I will wait and i will be the first to test the new firmware.Hope wd implement most of the things that we spoke 2 months now.

The new beta firmware has been posted.  So, I will close this thread.