New Release - Firmware Version 1.02.04 for My Book World Edition I & II (8/16/10)

Great solution as my WD does not respond. But I am stupid and I know only Windows. Do you think I can use same method connecing the drive to Win7?

Thanks for the help!!!

Jerome, as you are the best, do you think I can connect the drive to a windows server with SATA connector?

Thanks for the help!!!

cheytac01 - while you mention the itunes and twonky issues are being worked upon - any words for those of us whose Mbwe I/IIs were zonked by this update??

The silence on this issue is a bit baffling - an update that kills your unit might qualify as higher priority than itunes compatibility. I can guess WD tech people already working on identifying this issue but any kind of quicker acknowledgement/response from WD would go a long way to maintain some trust.

On a personal note I don’t care anymore as I’ve already ripped open my Mbwe’s case and currently copying over the contents to another disk via SATA/USB adaptor. I should get my Synology NAS delievered soon where I’ll reuse the Mbwe’s disk.

WD your loss. 

Luigi_Maccarini - A windows machine will not be able to read the linux_raid format of the disk. You need to connect it to a Linux machine - time to ask favor from a geek friend!

Alternately you can install linux under virtualization (VMware etc.) on your Windows machine. Same for any Mac users.

cheytac01 wrote:

We are working on implementing another version of Twonky which will fix the issue with the missing MKV files.  This is being worked on along with the recently surfaced issue with iTunes server no longer working with iTunes 10 that was released last Wednesday.

We are aggressively working on getting solutions implemented as quick as possible.

I assume, that proper testing could take a few weeks. Do you work on the “freezing” issue (mentioned in separate discussion thread) as well?

I just had to swith it off and on again…

TO: WD

will you fix the issue that the upgarde dosen’t work? i use the version

Description NAS Firmware
Version 01.01.18 with MioNet 4.2.27
Last Upgrade Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:55:04

br

ansi

Just an FYI

Tech support assisted me in getting my drive back online this morning

It needed to plug the drive into a wall socket rather than a power strip to get it to work again

a voltage thing perhaps?

At any rate, my drive is operating perfectly again

:slight_smile:

The silence on the brickified units is baffling! Updating Twonky and iTunes should be minute problems in comparison, by any standards. For every reported failed upgrade here on the forum, you can surely count thousands of now brickified units we’ll never hear of.

I’d expect a reputable company like WD to do better than this head-in-the-sand strategy.

I had to gut the drive from my MBWE and purchase a cabinet for the drive to salvage my files. Apart from the loss of hardware and money, I am now also losing many hours of time to involuntary Linux hacking to get the files back, hours I’d rather spend with my family or doing actual work. And not a word of understanding, not a single excuse from WD.

Not saying “I’m sorry” for a mistake, is worse than making the mistake in the first place.

Bye, WD. I wish you luck, you’ll need it.

Daniel

(Owner of several WD units of which none will ever get a new firmware from now on)

Can someone try if plugging directly into wall socket resurrects the mbwe as per  MikeyG ?

Yes, I tried to contact WD support by phone from sweden, and was put in a phone queue in Belgium. Seems like there is no support staff in Sweden. I only have a cellphone, which makes calls like that prohibitively expensive - especially when you dont know how long you have to wait. And considering other WD replies to this matter, there is nothing to suggest that my data will be recovered after I ship the MBWE away to WD. I’d love to be told otherwise! It would likely be a cinch for the WD staff to salvage the files onto the replacement unit (if my unit cannot be repaired in the first place), but an arrangement like that has not been brought to my attention during my search for a solution.

Regards,

Daniel

Stockholm

Hi, I have firmware version 01.01.08 with MioNet 4.1.1.9 install on My Book World (install by WD when the drive was repaired) and have the same problem. ie An Update is NOT available (Your device is up to date). This is also caused by the update server not identifying my firmware -  What can I do to update please? Do I need to send my drive for repair?

Thanks

Hoddy

Windows won’t recognize the file system.

You can download an Ubuntu Live CD and boot from the CD. You’ll have a Linux working without installing anything on your computer.

It worked for me!!!

I’ve given up on WD and decided to move on to Synology. Here is the last update from tech support regarding my 1TB MBWE getting zonked by the firmware update - if it helps someone, please do let the forum know:

Thank you for your reply.

Does your drive boot normally if you move it to another wall socket without any Ethernet connection? If not, unfortunately, you will need to replace your drive. Please note that WD does not guarantee the drive inside separate from the enclosure so should you need to replace your drive, you will need to replace the entire MyBook.

( I’ve retrieved the data by ripping out the disk from the case, thus voiding the warranty)

So long and thanks for all the fish!

after updating the firmware also i am having issues liek , the share folders are not accesible or not found! but the NAS is turned on. after rebooting the drive is working ok . and when i  move large files to the NAS it fails. from ssytem status it shows ok!

Please help me ! i currently use 2 TB hard disk  totally with 2 physical drives of each 1 TB

You can send it to WD, however you will lose your data.

Or you can find some Linux expert get out the data from your device a try some not standard steps from this forum how to downgrade your NAS.

To either of the WD Staff members replying to this board, kindly answer the following questions:

1. As a result of the issues with the current firmware release, has the current firmware been pulled to avoid further complications?  I ask this because my update is showing that I’m an up to date which I am not.

2. What is the ETA to provide the new firmware update?  I highly recommend providing a status update to this user group every other day or so.  This is clearly a high impact user group that will benefit your User Acceptance Testing cycles.

3. Will the new firmware fix the usb auto-share feature in Twonky media, whereby an attached usb media device should be scanned for music,photos,videos automatically and added to the file repository until the device is removed.  I use the 1tb MBWE2 for photos and music and was hoping to use my 2tb MB Mirror Edition through the usb to stream my movies using Twonky.  Currently, the video streaming works from the MBWE2, but the streaming from the usb drive does not in any capacity.  I am only able to see the usb drive from Windows.

As a pure reaction to the numerous issues seen on this thread, I will not be making the update as my family photos now reside on the World Book Edition II.  I also have my home movie backups on there.  I would need these questions answered before I can even contemplate an upgrade. 

A brief post mortem, for my fellow hardware pathologists out there:

RIpped the HD out of my MBWE and plugget it to a USB/SATA cabinet. Booted Zorin linux off a USB stick and tried to mount the dead volume according to this guide:

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-90514/how-to-recover-data-from-wd-my-book-world-edition-nas-device

Didnt work. Linux complained about dead sectors or some other hardware failure.

Next step: SpinRite 6 - ran all night and finally encountered some disk error that it couldn’t fix. The rescue process was halted.

Final try: downloaded the DiskInternals Linux Recovery which also ran all night, analyzing the biggest partition (900+ GB). After 10 hours I am presented with huge archives of nonsensical file names. They could be sorted by file type, but there were no MKV files to be found, even though the disk had plenty of those.

Gave up. My time isnt unlimited. I’m sure there are plenty of more things to try, but I have other stuff to do. The disk is now being formatted into a NTFS volume. Hopefully without more dead sectors or whatever.

Interesting how bad things can go when you upgrade a firmware! *sigh*

Thank you. That is actually very valuable information. Unfortunately, in your case, the reports of bad sectors makes it sound like a hardware failure. It’s possible that you had some bad sectors in the boot area of the drive. The update forced a reboot, which made it read those sectors and triggered the failure. Of course, this is just a hypothesis at this point. I can’t say for certain since I don’t have the drive to analyze.

As for the firmware update itself, we haven’t seen the firmware failure ourselves, even with repeated automated testing from various starting firmware versions. We’re waiting to get some failed units back to analyze and to see if we can reproduce the scenario that caused the failure. In the meantime, as a precaution, the udpate has been removed.

Thanks for the update Troy… I’m glad it’s been taken down with this many users having issues.  WDC made the right move.

Would it be possible to get an ETA on the fix?  High level estimate would be alright.

Thanks.