New Release - Firmware Version 1.02.04 for My Book World Edition I & II (8/16/10)

you have no problem is ctorrent??

I should report my newest experience with MBWE II 4tb. I upgraded to the new FW 1.02.04 and got all that issues with the Twonky. So i decided to downgrade the FW to the previous version. It is impossible using the official way, but in community i found how to do this. I connected to the NAS using SSH, changed /etc/version file to have 01.01.14 (actually was 01.02.04), downloaded FW image 01.01.16 from the WD site and tried manual upgrade from the WEB interface. It loaded FW image, upgraded, said SUCCESS and went to reboot. But never came back.

Now my MyBook cannot boot, it shows one led light, waits 30 seconds and looped back to reboot. I cannot see it in the net and even cannot ping. It is bricked now (after it said SUCCESS !!! )

I will try to unbrick this (at least i can save my data - i detached HDs and can mount them to the PC with Linux - i can see the data)

So be carefull - usual answers that were good with older FW now can brick your MBWE.

OK I updated my mbwe 1tb white light last night and because it was an official update I put full confidence in the fact that the update would be OK as long as it was not interrupted after doing every thing by the book I now am unable to use my NAS as twonky does not see anything now I am not happy I have been advised by a lawyer friend that as long as I don’t delete any of my internet history I should be able to produce enough evidence that I updated through the correct channels and if wd are allowing people to update with a bad firmware then they a liable to replace the unit as the only warning they give you is to not interupt the update

What are the differences between 1.1.16 and 1.1.18 ? I have 1.1.18 !

Nobody knows, because 1.01.18 is not official release, however WD sell NAS with this firmware from 12/2009.

Unbelievable…

shaunhoop1981 wrote:

OK I updated my mbwe 1tb white light last night and because it was an official update I put full confidence in the fact that the update would be OK as long as it was not interrupted after doing every thing by the book I now am unable to use my NAS as twonky does not see anything now I am not happy I have been advised by a lawyer friend that as long as I don’t delete any of my internet history I should be able to produce enough evidence that I updated through the correct channels and if wd are allowing people to update with a bad firmware then they a liable to replace the unit as the only warning they give you is to not interupt the update

shaunhoop1981,

You don’t need a lawyer friend to tell you something that we will already take care of.  If your drive was damaged during the firmware update, contact WD for immediate help. 

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

ok thank you i will try contacting you again with my problem as so far i have been sucessful and every day my mybook world is down i cant access my important files 

Same problem here. FW upgrade was “SUCCESS” (oh cruel irony) Bottom white LED is lit, backside LAN cable LEDS are off. NAS reboots from time to time, drive is spinning and makes strange clicking sounds before rebooting.

I would like to know how the WD FWs are tested before posted to the customers. A bad firmware that turns thousands of customers hardware to bricks and critical files to fond memories, is no less than a kiss of death to market credibility and quality reputation.

I agree with you and you can basically do nothing with that.

1 Like

As the downloading process reaches 98%, it hangs. I left the NAS for half an hour and it still didn’t move from 98% so I rebooted and NAS came back to its normal activity. Repeating the process gave me the same result, hangs at 98%.

I couldn’t find any manual download option so I can upgrade manually, but given the spirit of the latest replies, perhaps its for the best.

Hi there,

I’ve done the firmware upgrade about a week ago, I definitely should have read the community news before (and not doing it).

I experience two major problems with new firmware (I have MyBook World Edition I 2TB):

1. MyBook hangs occasionally, typically in the middle of read/write operations. There’s no chance to connect, the only remedy is to switch it off and on again. This didn’t happen in previous releases at all, now it happens about every second day.

2. Twonky in this release is crappy - has been commented in other threads: MKVs dissapeared, database build takes long, etc…

Same problem here. Pushed the “Upgrade” button yesterday and the unit is now blocked at the lower white led, lots of disk activity, green light only on the network interface.

I think WD just bricked my unit.

How can I get my unit back alive?

The only way is to send it to WD RMA - Return merchandise authorization.

An you will lose your data of course.

Good luck.

1 Like

Like others here I need to download the firmware from support and install it manually as my WD WorldBook can’t get it on auto update. Where can I get it so I can download to my desktop please? Thanks jjdoyle

Please don’t  do it, wait on new firmware, however it is up to you…

First read the forum and the problems with the firmware.

You can find a link in this forum.

1 Like

Thanks Vlado – I have read the posts now and I agree it seems pointless to use this firmware version. I will have to find out whether I need to in order to get the data from my drive. I seem to be able to do all apart from uncheck cache thumbnails in Twonky. I could reach Twonky, and rebuild the database. But, i didn’t get the screens that the WD help said I would. 

So sad – I put a lot of picture files on this drive, thinking it was the safest place to leave them while I expanded my external drive capacity. I have wedding images stuck there and a bride asking to see them … I know, I should have kept the files in two places. I have had better luck with quite a few WD My Book drives in the past. Never used the World Edition before though. now I think maybe the others are not as safe as I thought they were.

Presume the firmware could take forever to arrive … Oh well

Thanks again for the warning – much appreciated.

This very useful link from James_K on another thread here allowed me to connect to the drive and see the files, so I should now be able to copy them to another drive.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2686

Hopefully this method will work for anyone who has the problem that (on a Mac) the normal finder window sees their MyBook World Edition but doesn’t appear to let them in.

Hi

Sorry for my englis, i am french

I can ask a question. I did the last update of firmware and since my shared folders are not accessible and the password is refused. I

s it just this update? Many thanks had this problem?

Thank you for your answers

Here is how I fixed my unit:

1- I took the HD out (breaking the white enclosure) and put it in an external SATA to USB rack that I bought for this purpose.

2- I plugged the now USB disk into my Linux machine.

3- I mounted /dev/sdb1 (ext3), /dev/sdb3 (ext3) and /dev/sdb4 (xfs)

4- on /dev/sdb4 I found my data that I copied to another disk

5- on /dev/sdb1/tmp I deleted the active_upgrade file.

6- umount /dev/sdb1 (and sdb3 and sdb4)

7- plug back into the White enclosure and I now have ressucitated the unit.

I just don’t know in which state of the upgrade it is a It now I can see in the admin interface (last upgrade in 2020!!!).

Anyway, very bad experience. Support from WD by email as useless. I’ll go Qnap next time.

Version 01.00.28 with MioNet 4.2.27
Last Upgrade

Sun, 08 Nov 2020 09:08:26

Is there a way to do a firmware update if the drive is not accesable over the network?