New Release - Firmware Version 1.02.04 for My Book World Edition I & II (8/16/10)

…this months updates somehow every month. It is now jan/2011 and nothing has happened and probalby nothing will happen in the future. I have about 130GB of music data and this twonky thing re-initialises the data base upon every restart oblivious of the settings at the share-screen. This process takes roughly 4 hours. A shutdown is required otherwise the device does not stop spinning and the drives will fail soon.

Playlists have to be edited manually, at least there is a workaround.

It leaves the impression that the NAS is only suitable to stream 1 to 2 GB of music which at a capacity of 4TB is not a lot.

Of your course Fritzi07 nothing will happen in the future because new models replace the My Book World Edition…

I had followed the various suggestions listed elsewhere in this forum ( disabling services, upgrading to 1.02.5, etc … ) without a lot of luck.

Then I came across this link

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-230690/mbwe-wl-not-accessible-over-html-ssh-but-responses-to-ping

( you may have to register to view this post ).

Look at the fourth message in the thread for a solution

Whilst it does involve installing software on the MBWE and theoretically invalidating the warranty, it is worth trying in order to get the NAS to work as it should have in the first place

As of today, my MBWE has been up for 28 days and counting.
My access profile is streaming video files to a WD HD TV on a nightly basis and nightly backups of the NAS to another NAS.

Can’t speak for other usage issues ( twonky, copying large files, torrent downloads )
v Hope this helps
bob

I will not be buying another WD product again after this whole firmware shambles. We have been waiting months for a simply Twonky fix so we can stream MKV’s yet WD sem like they dont really care. I will be spending abit more soon and buying a Synology device. Not only do they perform much better, they actually work as they should.

Thanks WD.

Is it possible to insert the HDs of the WDWE2 in another NAS, e.g. Synology? So I do not have to throw the whole junk away. Which HD-models are used in the WDWE2?

I’m still baffled as to why the auto update fails (mine is version: 01.01.18 with MioNet 4.3.1.7 ,Last Upgrade Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:55:04).  It just says “Your device is up to date.”.

Does this work for anyone, ever? Do WD care?

Roy