New MyBook Duo 4Tb astonishingly slow... I mean, really soul-numbingly slow

So instead of -avz what is less processor intensive?

if I ssh into the xeon server how would i rsync from my remote MBLD to the host?

rsync -avz --progress root@WDMBLD/Folder /folder-on-xeon 

I just got a new Live 2 duo and tried to transfer 500 GB of data from external hard disk to MBL2D via USB and am getting a below 3mb/sec transfer rate.

My setup is

• win 7 laptop

• Linksys e1000 router

I tried to read all the solution mentioned here but, I can’t understand most of them - being technically just enough to get by.  I also tried solution metioned in WebDAV Primer but after typing “Net Use” in cmd.exe, I am getting “New Connections will be remembered” and there is no information about the network.

Would appreciate a non-technical step-by-step instruction on how I can improve the transfer rate via USB.

sorry - it seems I posted in the wrong forum.

Right forum after all - the original subject confuses me. 

Any help is much appreciated

You can’t connect via USB. Are you connecting via your laptop wirelessly, or wired? Even if wired, the E1000 is the slowest Cisco router, so to cant expect more than 10MByte/sec…

Congrats on this, I cannot believe that WD allows this to leave the factory in with this.

My Drive is not providing performance at the levels I expected

Ps as an amendment to your script I merely renamed those that I did not want to start with a small s as apposed to capital S, so Linux will not start.

Short Answer…It’s the laptop…

Hi all,

My MBL device performs stable at 11 MB/s. It is usable this way. Though if there’s something I could do to increase performance then why shouldn’t I?

This raises the question, is it advisable to mess with the settings on a stable nas? I know the http gui won’t work anymore when I apply the scripts so I can’t restore a backup of my current settings.

Is there any way to backup and restore my current settings via SSH? If so, then I will give it a shot :slight_smile:

Are you using a 100megabit switch, or Gig-E?   11MB/s sure sounds like a 100 meg connection.

Hello

Long time reader… first time replier.

I posted a question  http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live-Duo/MacBook-Pro-and-MLBD/td-p/561704 because I am not techy enough to really follow the help here and WD dont answer their tech support emails and if you call them they just say “send the device back” without doing a proper diagnostic.

Can someone please help me out? I am getting a little desperate here.  I bought this in good faith thinking that if a respectable company like WD says its Mac compatible it would be… I am still hoping they come through for us but if the retailer I bought this from hadn’t of closed down I would have returned my unit by now.

Guy

edit:  When I say slow, this screenshot shows how slow I mean…

Time Machine Screenshot.jpg

I’ve posted earlier in this thread, confirming Tony Matthey’s scripts to be of great help (see page 5 of the thread). One wors of warning: today I updated my firmware and it went back to being slow again. I reinstalled Tony’s scripts and now I’m up to 21 MB/s read, 68 MB/s write with my Core i3 iMac.

But here’s a thing: I tried connecting with an old Core 2 Duo Mac Mini - and this got speeds of 41 MB/s read, 91 MB/s write - way better!

Anyone know why that should be so much better than the more powerful iMac? (Using Gigabit ethernet in each case, of course.)

Well, I read the reviews and bought the Duo 4Tb version because my MyBook Live 2Tb is almost full.

Connecting the Duo through the router I get around 3-4Mb/s, which is the “very slow” speed mentioned frequently. Connecting a USB drive to the Duo was around 1.5-2Mb/s, which is amazingly slow (no idea why so slow).

So I then connected the Duo drive, using the supplied ethernet cable, to my PC ethernet port. When the drive was detected, I set up a local network (in Win 7) which “mounted” the drive. Then I started a copy from my computer’s main USB drive: 1.6Tb copying at 35-43Mb/s, which is fine (still took several hours).

Once copied over, I re-connected the drive to the router and the main backups (using SyncToy) run at the same speeds to the Duo as the MyBook Live disk I’d filled up: around 3-4Mb/s

Happy with that.

I take back my concerns above - network speed is clearly quite variable. Today my iMac is getting 45 MB/s write, 96 MB/s read with the MBLD - thanks to Tony I’m going to stop complaining about this NAS now!

Hello everyone, greetings from Brazil

It looks like I am having the same issue as you guys.

So I have one MyBook World Edition II Whitelights 4 TB (MBWE II) and one brand new MyBook Live Duo 8TB (MBLD), both using RAID 0, both connected to a brand new Airport Extreme router using the Gigabit ports and both running the most updated version of their firmwares. Oh, I thought I was using the latest one on MBLD - When I access the UI and click to check the firware it says it is the latest one, but I see there is one newer posted here - which I can not update automatically neither find the link to it on the WD support site for MBLD - if someone has it handy, please let me know.

At this point in time, I have the MBLD with the same content as  MBWE II

I have set up the router to reserve a fixed ip address for both NAS using their MAC addresses.

I am using a Macbook Air, i7 and 8 GB or Ram, connected to the Airport through wireless N 5 GHz (300 mbps).

Long history short: accessing the MyBook Live Duo 8TB is pretty slower than access the old MyBook World Edition II (Whitelights) using the SAME network, SAME machine as well as the data transfer speed.

I could access the MBLD using SMB but the transfer speed is so slow comparing to the transfer speed I can get with the MBWE 

Videos containing the evidences of the testing can be seen here:

- MBWE II  →   http://youtu.be/gtwAWBNyjQA

- MBLD  →   http://youtu.be/3oRzf4UHd8I

I guess we can rule out some of the things that maight be causing this issue: network, operation system and my laptop machine (as I have seen on other posts where ppl report almost the same problem) since they are all the same on both testing, right? Something has gotta be wrong with the MBLD

I would like to get some inputs from the WD support team before I decide to return this thing.

Regards

Gilson

After using the scripts the swap problem has gone. Thank you so far! But it seems that since then WD SmartWare lost connection to NAS. Can someone tell which process must be reenabled to connect my PC to the NAS via WD SmartWare?

So I tried for myself to find the right script und played around with init.d, rc1.d and rc2.d Unfortunatly I did on sunday morning and so it ended in disaster. I copied upnp_nas_driver into init.d, made symbolic links to rc1.d and rc2.d and rebooted. But MBLD got stuck, yellow LED is alight and the box is not reachable over network. So what could I do? How could a get rid of the symbolic links?

Hello there,

I have a very slow mybooklive and have a mac.

I hae little understanding of how to work terminal. I tried to type in what you suggested but nothing happened. I have included a screen shot below. 

What has confused me even more is that this is not the only thing you suggest to people with this problem as you have posted in other places like page 1 and 2 of  http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live-Duo/New-MyBook-Duo-4Tb-astonishingly-slow-I-mean-really-soul/td-p/417642/page/2 where you suggest other things.

I just need a simple set of instructions explained for a dummy - could you help? please…!!!

Kind regards,

file://localhost/Users/akikobrigham/Desktop/Screen%20shot%202013-09-29%20at%2007.14.59.png

I have not DUO, but I have Mac and MBL… Tried to do a lot of here mentioned things - they didn’t help.

Few minutes ago found this -  http://rolande.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/performance-tuning-the-network-stack-on-mac-osx-10-6/

Got improvement! Now it’s still not perceft as on Win, but it is more usable than before :slight_smile:

Same astonishingly, mid-numbingly, embarrassingly, disgusting slow performance reported by others when backing up using Time Machine over a gigabit ethernet network.

I’m shocked and none to pleased to see so many people reporting this problem here (and in a number of other locations on the net) and no real direct and useful response from WD. 

I’m doing a 3TB backup to a new 8TB MyBookLiveDuo. I’ve reserved an IP for the MBLD and turned off all of the unneeded features on the MBLD: media sharing, internet access, ftp access, etc. I have installed the most recent firmware update and restarted the MBLD. 

Inconsistency is the watchword here. After multiple attempts - restaring the MBLD and/or the Mac - I’ve seen:

• Several attempts that began at a reasonable speed and then bogged down to abysmally slow transfer rates at some point in the process and had to be restarted. The “point in the process” varied between perhaps a TB of transfer before the molasses mode kicked in to the most recent which started quickly and then bogged down to a near standstill after only 120MB.
  • Several attempts that began with painfully slow transfer that never increased.
  • One or two where the thing seemed to resurrect itself (for a while) after being bogged down.

After trying now for over a week, I have been unable to complete a Time Machine backup to the MBLD device. (I can do the Time Machine Backup to an attached drive - USB or firewire - without problems. I’m also able to back up the much smaller amount of data to the MBLD from my Macbook Air over wireless. And, yes, the main computer is not on wireless but on gigabit ethernet, with the computer and the MBLD connected to the same hub.)

Now I went into the Settings panel for the MBLD and thought to run the “Diagnostic Test” - the short version that the onscreen help says should take two minutes. 10 minutes later and it has completed… 10%. 

For Mac users, the major selling point of this device is that it (supposedly) allows Macs to backup to an NAS using Time Machine. I’m a fairly knowledgable computer user, and the amount of tweaking and searching and guessing and experimenting that is apparently required to (maybe?) get this working is unacceptable - I’ve been reading this morning about all of the stuff people have tried to get it (maybe, sometimes, for a while) to function right.

WD support, where is the definitive answer to this widespread and ongoing issue? Where is the FAQ that explains in simple and direct language how to fix this? (And I’m not referring to the basic “how to use Time Machine” pdf that is already up.)

I’ve owned many WD drives over the years and have been happy with them, but this (apparently shared by many others) experience has soured me on WD. Please prove me wrong.

Dan Mitchell

I too am having trouble with slow read speed from the MBL (my old XP machine was fast once it mapped the drive, my new macbook pro is painfully slow loading pictures…). I followed your steps but don’t know how to save after pasting the text in “insert mode”. Can you provide some more detailed help for those who aren’t adept in Terminal?

Thanks