New FW 4.00.00 upgrade results

pinax wrote:

• Worst of all, everything seems to take a really, REALLY long time. Much longer than it used to. The drive is grinding away, but it takes 10-15 MINUTES to display the contents of my iTunes Media directory.
  • Even the WD dashboard pages take longer to populate (with device names, etc.) than it ever did before.
  • Some apps that depend on data on the drive just hang, because it apparently takes so friggin’ long to access that data.

Just make my drive work, I beg you. Please!

I agree. Every operation on the new firmware takes MINUTES to accomplish. Sometimes they even time out.

All I want is a plain old NAS drive. I don’t want any kind of server other than vanilla file sharing. I don’t want streaming. I don’t want the drive spending all its time indexing media files and generating thumbnails. All I really want is a fast and unobtrusive backup drive.

Which guide did you follow?

Did you modify ‘updateFirmwareFromFile.sh’ to downgrade firmware?

yes, look through this thread and the [GUIDE] Transmission 2.82  thread. 

basically download firmware, and unzip to the public file share in nas.

ssh into nas, and after script to comment out the down-grade prevention.

run script and wait 10 mins for it to complete, and then reboot.

Glad I could help… If I may ask: which daemon did you stop?

these ones:

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

then turned them off

update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

Than deleted the .wdmc directories littered all over the drive:

cd /DataVolume/shares/

find . -name .wdmc

and to actually delete them:

cd /DataVolume/shares/

find . -name .wdmc -exec rm -rf {} ;

2 Likes

rubikcubic wrote:

Glad I could help… If I may ask: which daemon did you stop?

these ones:

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

then turned them off

update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

Than deleted the .wdmc directories littered all over the drive:

cd /DataVolume/shares/

find . -name .wdmc

and to actually delete them:

cd /DataVolume/shares/

find . -name .wdmc -exec rm -rf {} ;

Thank you. That was exactly what I needed. :slight_smile:

I’ve been watching these forums for a few days now, and was really hoping that the new firmware would solve the problems the previous firmware seemed to create for so many people. Alas, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

The firmware install itself went smoothly. …If you consider that in order to do the install at all I had to connect my 4TB My Cloud directly to my Mac, that is.

This is because the only way I could get any access to the drive after the previous FW update was to connect it directly to my PowerBook’s ethernet port. Doing that, I had every feature working smoothly – except for the actual network/Cloud features, which kind of defeated the purpose of having the drive in the first place.

After the FW install, I left it hooked up to the Mac for a while, transferred some files, played with the MyCloud software and the Dashboard UI, and when I felt things were looking up and running smoothly, I shut down the drive via the Dashboard and hooked it up to my network as intended.

Things worked fine. Great, in fact.

For a while.

My gf and I watched a movie on the MyCloud drive, via my Mac, streamed to AppleTV. Almost imperceptible lag, but maybe a handful of times in two hours, and very impressive considering the route everything traveled to get to my TV. For a while, MyCloud was a beautiful thing. I could see the drive in the Finder. I could browse my files, transfer my files, access my files. The Dashboard loaded quickly and all the information was there. The desktop software (though not particularly useful to me) worked smoothly and quickly.

Then, with no warning that I was aware of, it all went to **bleep**.

At some point, the drive went back to its previous-firmware bad habits… It would disappear and reappear and disappear repeatedly from the Finder. “Not found.” You’d see the drive, try to connect to it, and then suddenly it wouldn’t be there anymore.

The Dashboard also stopped working…it wouldn’t load at all, whether initiated directly or via QuickView.

And the MyCloud desktop software would usually identify the drive as connected to my network, but then it wouldn’t load beyond the “Sit back and let us connect…etc.” screen.

I am extremely disappointed and, as someone else said in another thread, I wish I’d done more research before spending money on this thing. I had planned to take it back to the store a week after I bought it, but I let life get in the way and missed the return deadline.

So now I’m stuck with this thing, hoping beyond hope that WD has yet another firmware update to un-screw what is apparently so very screwed up with these devices.

I have read that some people have re-installed the FW, in hopes of an improvement. I’ve just done that, but as it is now almost 3 in the morning here, I will let you know later if this somehow fixed things.

Also, FWIW, I don’t have the option of doing any command-line stuff. Frankly, I shouldn’t have to fix this with tinkering anyway. I’m glad this method seems to have been successful for those who’ve done it, but in my opinion, this is WD’s mess to clean up. They need to step up, continue to work on it, and fix the problem. I hope they do. 

BTW, this is my first experience with a WD drive. If this issue isn’t fixed for everyone, it will be my last. I’m pretty sure that doesn’t mean much.

Anyone managed to run transmission or btsync with the new firmware?

same problem here. It seems that it keep killing btsync

I turned on my PC today and with excitement, downloaded the new FW 4.00.  Then I saw this thread and read all the postings - told myself that I won’t update to FW 4.00 until a stable and robust version is released.

I read about the need to enable SSH, so I open up my Dashboard to do this.  I got stunned momentarily - when I saw that my FW has been upgraded to v4.00 (I had set up my WDMyCloud to auto update the FW)!  I am not familiar with SSH and scripts, so I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope I don’t need to revert to the previous FW. 

So far, the device has not acted up.  Earlier I had done some files upload and download without problems.  I will be streaming some videos tonight; lets see how it goes.

Decided I’d take the plunge. I’ve had a 4TB My Cloud for a month and it’s not become “mission critical” just yet.

Started the process and went out for an hour.

Came back and everything working as it should, all my shares are accessible. All settings as they were before the update. Twonky scanned my media folders without any problem. Dashboard feels more responsive, but maybe that’s just me.

It’s not bad news all the time.

daytrdr wrote:

DGRYAN1977 wrote:

So basically without Dashboard, Im screwed?

How can WD update this firmware if we cant access dashboard?

Im not sure I feel comfortable screwing with command lines

Hello,

WD will help you resolve this issue.  Please contact our support team:   http://support.wdc.com

Thank you

Basically, the upgrade itself went smooth. But I did notice two things that have changed now:

• I recall seeing two processors when I issue the ‘top’ command under SSH, but that is gone (or I may be wrong)

• the system is now very very SLOW, but that may be because I also did a complete system reset, thus enabling some of the media scan processes again. But it is such slow that it has become unusable when going through my photo library with ACDSee

After 4.0 upgrade I can’t use chroot and mc via SSH. Then I type command and hit inter, WD says “killed” . What could be reason of this?

why are threads being deleted that are detailing how poor this firmware is - dont spend time dong that - fix it!!!

adtilley wrote:

why are threads being deleted that are detailing how poor this firmware is - dont spend time dong that - fix it!!!

Threads are not being deleted. They are being merged into specific threads reporting similar issues to prevent scattered posts.

Looks like by popular opinion Ill wait before updating to this mess.

I was in the list of people whose drive was dropping from the network, sometimes several times per day.  I had previously stopped/disabled the S85wdmcserverd and S86wdphotodbmergerd services which helped provide stability (it hadn’t dropped since I stopped/disabled them).

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to successfully update my firmware to the latest version without issue last night and so far (knock on wood), the drive remains connected to the network.

I am cautiously optimistic that this firmware has corrected my issues with the drive dropping from the network.

OK fine

Now can you comment on when this will be fixed?

You were pretty quick to commenty on the thread deletion point

adtilley wrote:

OK fine

Now can you comment on when this will be fixed?

You were pretty quick to commenty on the thread deletion point

I am a Moderator, as such my duty is to monitor the WD Community itself and clarify any and all issues related to the WD Community itself. I am unable to provide any information related to addressing the current firmware because Moderators are not involved with internal development roadmaps and/or estimated time frames for firmware releases or updates.

However, progress and updates will be shared with Community Members as soon as said information becomes available to us. WD is paying close attention to the feedback.

Regards,

I just posted a new topic about that. I am having the same issue with other commands such as wget,curl, and telnet.

1 Like

Good - if they are hard at work we can expect a solution today