New firmware WHEN?

Busko wrote:

I’ve had a WDTVLIVE+ for some time now and with this new update the ONLY issue I have right now is viewing pics and stuff on FB…saying cant support the media…which is whatever, I can get on the COMP to see but still it needs to be fixed.  The way things are looking, I think I’m going to jump ship and get a roku for the living room and this wdtv for the bedroom.  I was happy at first with the product, but over time, I have lost my love for it. Maybe if they fix it soon, it will spark up again.

fingers crossed in Orange County, CA

Good luck with the Roku!

Roku is a joke. If you think the WD TV Live Plus has problems, traipse on over to the Roku forums and see what’s being said - even about their ‘latest and greatest’. I had a Roku and experienced the thrill of constant rebuffering. One minute you’d be watching a movie, the next you’d be watching it rebuffer and waiting for it to resume. It didn’t matter what the source - Netflix, Amazon, etc - the same ■■■■. People constantly complain about the issue and apparently their complaints fall on deaf ears. I had a friend who also had a Roku and he had the same issues. I’m on a wired network and have a 35Mbits up/down FIOS internet connection. I’ve never had an issue with the WD TV Live Plus - and I have two of them.

At least your Roku would work. When I chose to try a streaming media player, I went with Roku first. After 3 devices and numerous tech support calls and forum posts, I gave up and got a refund. I later found the WD TV line and have been happy since. I could never get a Roku to register with their servers…not matter what magic I did with DNS, routing, or anything (I think my posts in their forums are still there). I think the point is, no device out there is perfect, but find the best that works for you. In my case, the WD line works great. Even had to RMA one a while back and WD’s RMA process was great.

JimKnopf wrote:
Looking at the last firmware bringing new bugs especially for the composite and component users, my summary is there wasn’t any (beta) testing in this area at all otherwise they wouldn’t have made this version released to the public.

But that’s where we’re seeing it differently… I personally think the bugs were known, but the decision came from on high to release it anyways.  They’d already had people clamoring for 8 months for a GPT fix, and were losing sales of both drives and players until large drives got supported.  I’d think the new bugs weren’t “worth” holding up the GPT fix for another 2 or 3 months… they wanted the fix out _ now _, and if folks had to adjust the settings every time the box was powered on and the text for audio and subtitles was improperly justified, those were seen as minor inconveniences by whoever makes the decisions.  I’m not saying I agree or defend the decision, but I at least understand it, from a business point of view.  And that’s why, in this case, I’m saying further testing wouldn’t have made a lick of difference.

So, while there are some things that testing should be catching, and isn’t, I don’t think lack of testing is the root problem in customer dissatisfaction.  I see the bigger problem as being the choices of what to release and when.

It seems pretty clear that “maintenance releases” don’t exist, and the only fixes we see are part of newer builds.  I see no physical reason (since the chip is identical) why the .mkv fix couldn’t have been compiled in to a Gen2 firmware last year – the code should be the same… now that the GPT fix is around, again there doesn’t seem to be any reason (other than the obvious fact that WD isn’t selling Gen2’s anymore, and a fix won’t lead to increased sales, so there’s nothing “in it” for them) to not patch the Gen2 firmware.

I don’t even own a Gen2, so it’s not like I’m personally bitter that these fixes seem simple and don’t seem likely to see the light of day.

But, across the whole line, it’s the decisions that I have issues with, moreso than the actual testing of any particular build.

I think the (apparent) conclusion that there’s “no point” in updating the Gen2, because it won’t lead to new sales of the box, and because anyone still using it, instead of buying newer players, isn’t likely to be out buying the newest, most expensive hard drives, is false.  I think WD would be much better, in the long run, biting the bullet and dishing out some goodwill.  Instead of having folks grumpy, they’d have folks who keep WD in mind for their next purchases.  I think it would be overall “worth it”, but I’m not the one making the decisions.  I’m just some guy who’s willing to spout off on the internet.

I’d think that many fixes are “ready” long before we see them… we only see them when WD has a new build worked out.  For all I know, this may make financial sense.  I have no clue how much it costs to fix a bug, and what the cost is, in terms of sales, to leave it for a few months while something shiny and new is hammered out.

It seems like a very large portion of the vocal community who posts here (whether 1 post or 10,000), aren’t happy with the way things are done in terms of fixes, or lack thereof.  But I personally think WD needs to hear us screaming about that, before they listen to us screaming about their testing procedures, and what bugs make it to the end user.  Your mileage may vary.

amen, RG.

I don’t see how fixing a bug costs more than the bad press WD get from buggy firmware updates.

If WD keeps their firmware relatively bug free, they will definitely sell a LOT more units.

I wonder how many people have been dissuaded from buying a TV Live from the bugs reported on this forum ?

Surely fixing bugs ASAP (especially like the one in the last release) makes more sense !

I personally was going to upgrade to a HUB, but I am in two minds at the moment…