New Firmware Version 1.02.12 for the My Book World I & II (10/19/11)

Hi, I had read all the comments and as I go t a new WD MB Ed.II with Firmware 01.02.06 on my question is “why should I upgrade to 01.02.12” ??

The only time I find the MBW1 slow is from waking up, after there is no problem. I do not use the WD Discovery at all transfers are done windows explorer or firefox for login the only problem I have is the torrent software, but I can live with that for the time being.

I can’t even stream music. DLNA errors all the time.
I want a new NAS.

Can I also connect to the WD_Backup share from Finder → Go → Connect to server? I have many problems since I installed the last firmware version and I really need the Time Machine functionality. In the beginning both my normal and my WD_backup share disconnected automatically after a few minutes and now my WD_share is totally gone… By connecting to the data share from Finder → Go → Connect to server → IP address I now have a stable connection. Which IP address / server address I have to use to connect to the WD-Backup share?

Thanks.

I hear you all, had a wonderful experience with my 6 TB WD mybookworld before the new firmware.

After I’ve had trouble with transefer speeds, sometimes as low as 100kb/s when I had 35 mb/s before…

Also very often I’m having trouble accessing my drive… found that removing the Sleep function cured that but today I had 3 error messages when logging into the drive about HDD SMART not working and the drives being to warm… intressting that you can turn of a function but then have a product that dosen’t support you turning it off…

I’ve turned it back on since I don’t want to brick my drive and I hope it works as advertised… otherwise it’s going to be a recall from me or WD perhaps can rush out and new frimware update? Anything is better than nothing…

So, another month has passed and nothing new in terms of firmware has been released.

Since I’m still reluctant to try the 1.02.12 version due to the problems reported here, I decided to reactivate the AFP on my Mac OS Lion. I’m not really happy with this, because I had to mess around with the terminal, but at least I can log on as a registered user with Finder again.

Time Machine still doesn’t work, though. I’m still getting an error message that AFP doesn’t support the necessary functions (or something similar).

Either way, this is the point where I stop caring.

My other MAC with Snow Leopard can still do its Back-up on the MBWII and for the machine with Lion I’ll just stick to my USB drive, which I had to use for the last 3 to 6 months, anyway (I don’t even know when this whole mess started, because it’s so far in the past now).

I do realise it was partly my fault to try and go the cheap way for a NAS. I’ve learned from this and will not try my luck with a WD NAS again. I might still be buying WD USB drives etc., but I’m done with anything more sophisticated produced by WD.

So long and thanks for - ehm - at least trying.

Hi,

I have also updated to1.02.12.

After updating I keep loosing connection to the NAS. It’s completely useless.

I managed to downgrade to 1.02.05 and now it works again.

I have not heard anything from WD support in 2 weeks. Thanks to a post in this forum I got it working again. But only by downgrading.

This is for sure the last time I buy a WD. Crappy support. :angry:

which  fews myboom models is it for – it doesn’t say

Just remove all apple Finder folders/files (.DS_Store,  .trashes, ._??? ) - the ones created by mounting a drive in Finder. You can do it through SSH login, or in terminal when mounted. 

I have been trying to update my MyBook World white light via the manual option via the web access. I have tried using chrome and firefox on Mac OS Lion and Win 7. Everytime it seems to load the file after I hit submit but then tells me no file was selected. 

The current firmware on it is 01.01.08. 

yes, i can reproduce it the same way.

1 Macbook Air connected through EThernet gets the WD_Backup mounted and backs up, second (and all other macbooks) cannot mount WD_Backup, only the public share on mybookworld.

This WD Drive was the worst buy i’ve ever made!!!

I am unable to update mine - when accessing the web interface throuhg both IE and Safari, when updating manually I browse to the location of the image file, click submit, and nothing happens, apart from when using safari after 20 secondes or so I get the message ‘no file selected’ and the location I had browsed to is cleared from the input box.

I am currently on firmware 01.01.08, and am unable to update automatically as it says my firmware is up to date.

My model is a WDH2NC.

Thanks

Nick

I’ve updated my WD World Book Edition to the current version (01.02.12 with MioNet 4.3.1.13).   I was using this drive with Snow Leopard a Time Machine without any problems for many months.   I can mount the partition on the WD drive but when I try to backup or access the backup, Time Machine complains with:

“The network backup disk down not spport the required AFP features”

I thought the new update to the WD drive was supposed to fix that.  Please advise. 

Thank you

Exactly the same issue for me.  Followed the WD guide for setting up Time Machine, but no success - Time Machine keeps throwing the AFP error.

Using Lion & My Book World with firmware 01.02.12

Come on WD, sort it out.

Firmware update creates problems with file permissions.

You need to look at MBWE wikidot site

I finally have mine working better than ever but the time machine quota issue is not yet fixed

Hi all,

My Twonky Media Server stopped working.  I reset the NAS via the webGUI and after watching one film via TMS, it stopped working again.  So I checked for an update, new firmware avaliable (1.02.12) so I upgraded.

Here is where the problems started.

Firmware installed successfully so waited for the drive to reboot.  After that I connected to the GUI via a web browser, all seemed fine, so I started up my xbox and tried to access the TMS.  This time it connected but told me no videos were found.  Grrrr.

So I went back on the GUI and navigated to the Media Server configuration… which gave me an “unable to access webpage” error.  Grrrr.

So, I resorted to the old fix and selected reset via the GUI again.

After 5 minutes, I tried connecting again.  Nothing.  I tried pinging it’s IP address, and the destination was unreachable.

The drive itself had the white light stationary at the bottom of the run and was vaguely humming, but that was all the life I could see. Grrrr.

I left it like this for an hour to no avail. Grrr.

As a last resort I turned everything off (router and NAS), waited a couple of minutes and then turned the whole lot back on (in case DD-WRT on the router was acting up and not assigning an IP or something).  Nothing.  The device didn’t even appear on the router’s status page after that. Grrrr.

So I tired manually assigning an IP address to the NAS’s MAC address… and that didn’t work.

So obviously I couldn’t even SSH into the box!

As it stands, I now have the NAS in pieces in front of me and the drive connected to my computer, as I’m using mybookrescue to get it up and running.

Let’s just say that after the previous “upgrade” (to which I was forced to hack into the drive via the SSH and convince it it had older firmware on it so I could flash it with the previous WORKING firmware…) which nearly bricked it, and this upgrade, which appears to have actually bricked it, I’m not very impressed with Western Digital programmers right now!

I shall let you all know whether I get it working with the new firmware after all this effort! 

If not, back to the previous firmware it is… and possibly with a replacement to the unreliable Twonky.

Hello. Currently I am on 01.01.08 with MioNet 4.3.1.13. I need to upgrade because I would like use as a TimeMachine in MacOS X Lion. When I checking for updates, I have “Your device is up to date”. I was trying manually but this doesn’t work too:(. Any ideas, solutions?

Hi,

I have My Book World Edition II (White Light) with Firmware 01.02.12 with MioNet 4.3.1.12, which crashes if I try to save in it any file bigger than 1.5GB aprox or when I make 1-3 uploads at the same time, or upload while exploring the folders NAS has.

Someone had experienced the same and had solved it?

Because I tried everything and couldn’t solve it… I’m starting to hate myself because of buying this s… and not a good NAS… 

Thanks, :slight_smile:

PS: I use it with a Windows 7 64bit PC, but even by doing it with a Macbook, or linux happens the same thing.

Due to the new release we are closing this thread.