New Firmware Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.03.49_V (11/16/10)

Flux, look in your SMB logs to see why it’s not working.   All I can tell you is that for me, all my samba boxes (three of them) are working fine…

Markus1 wrote:

I have a large Panasonic Plasma, and I don’t like to watch the movies with 10cm black screen over and under the movie itself (I mostly change the + 1.1).

This feature was also missing in all the betas, and this was the reason for me always to change back to the official firmware.

Hi Markus,

The old features (without the DVD menu functions) are furthermore available with the new firmware:

If you have your DVD structure in a folder called VIDEO_TS:

Just browse to this VIDEO_TS folder (but not into this folder!) and press the PLAY-button on your remote controle.

If you use a DVD iso (does not work if your iso is directly in the root folder):

Just browse to the folder, where you have stored your iso file (but not into this folder!) and press the PLAY-button on your remote control.

cu Mike

Dear Mike,

thanks for you help!

Unfortunately I have over 500 DVDs as iso files on 2 pcs. of 2TB Harddisks (made it one big one with 4TB with raid 0).

I have a folder structure on this HD.

A

B

C etc…

Inside each folder are the iso files (all movies starting with “A” in folder A etc…)

When I navigate into folder A, it shows me all movies beginning with A…

Then I start any of these movies,but I don’t have the options anymore.

I I just navigate via date, lastest movie or whatever.

When I start the movies, all the options are not available anymore.

BUT, before it was working pefectly this way.

As far as I understand you, I should create inside each folder (A for example) subfolders with the names of the movies, and then copy (or move) the iso into these folders.

Maybe it works (I didn’t try), but this is a lot of work, because I have over 500 movies on this HD, and this probably takes me 2 days of work…

Since it was working before, I just expect from WD to make it working again (cannot be a big deal,it was working before, I guess they just forget it)

Until they don’t do that, I will just work with the old firmware, which was fine for me except it has no DVD navigation included.

Thanks

Markus

Here’s another workaround.

Enable “Preview Mode” in the VIDEOS settings.

Select the movie you want, but don’t click anything. 

Once playback starts, click the RIGHT button to highlight the Preview Window, then click OK.

Voila, you’re back in business.

1 Like

Auto log on to a network share doesnt work. If I remove auto log on and type in the user and password, Im able to log on to a windows share. As soon as auto log on is active then it freezes. anybody else has this problem? Downgradeing tommorrow.

In the General Discussion section there is a FAQ. It might be helpful if some knowledgable person published a FAQ in the Firmware section with common mistakes people make when updating, and some helpful hints to ensure a good update. I know it won’t solve everyone’s problem, but It could save a lot of grief that people are experiencing here. I’d do it myself but I’m not that knowledgable.

Just upgraded my firmware, and now i can’t access my network shares.

I have a Synology NAS, and as said through network shares it doesn’t work, but if I use the media servers it works perfectly (except for that the media servers doesn’t play media with subtitles on the Synology, but it never have)…

I then made a rollback, but now it makes the same mistake, it wont play as network share, but no problems in media servers, even though it always worked with network shares.

It finds my network share every time, but it wont connect to it. I’ve tried several times.

I have furthermore tried to deleted saved login information…

Anybody with any ideas?

Once playback starts, click the RIGHT button to highlight the Preview Window, then click OK.

Dear TonyPh12345,

thank you for this workaround, it works.

BUT…, then I have another problem: If I start a movie this way, I don’t have the DVD navigation/menu anymore :frowning:

I do not really understand, but I think this firmware is really not a final version…

Further, when I use the “standard way” to start a movie (I have DVD navigation but no more options) I can only choose between (audio) AC1, AC2, etc. The name of the language is lost as well (it was there before). So you have to try and listen until you found your language.

I think I better roll back again to the previous version and wait for the next “final version”.

This one is an uncompleted beta version what they just make the new final version.

Thanks

Markus

brantdk wrote:

Auto log on to a network share doesnt work. If I remove auto log on and type in the user and password, Im able to log on to a windows share. As soon as auto log on is active then it freezes. anybody else has this problem? Downgradeing tommorrow.

I was also unable to log into my Network Share(s) after this update.

It was possible to restore access by:

1. Navigate to Network Settings  [Settings > Network Settings]
  2. Clear login info for network share  
  3. Turn OFF Auto Login to Network Share 
  4. Navigate to Network Shares 
  5. Input correct username and password
  6. Press Home / navigate to Network Settings again
  7. Turn ON Auto Login to Network Share
  8. Navigate back to Network Shares.  Login should work again.

I have not had any issues with freezing.  I’d recommend a hard reset + factory defaults reset + power cycle combo.  The firmware update process is a little quirky!

TiberiusT wrote:

Tks whattheheck, but clearing, restarting, and re-enteing the Network login solved my problem. It is rather wreckless of WD to issue an update the same day as Microsoft’s Patch Tuesday.

Windows Live Sign-in Assistant? Who the hell uses that cr@p anyway? They deserve to have problems :wink:

That’s why I don’t use windows.

I haven’t played much with it yet, but I find network shares to both my ubuntu laptop and server actually work now. At least until I try and connect again:wink:

bill_s wrote:

don’t know how you all missed this, but if your current version shows Netflix, then you’re using the wrong firmware to update your devices.  That’s why your bricking them.  You need to use WD TV Live Plus firmware on your devices.  Go to this landing page and download the correct file and do the update by USB.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_liveplus

*gulp* That sounds worrisome.  I would have thought there was some sort of fail safe to prevent that.

Markus1 wrote:

Dear TonyPh12345,

thank you for this workaround, it works.

BUT…, then I have another problem: If I start a movie this way, I don’t have the DVD navigation/menu anymore :frowning:

I do not really understand, but I think this firmware is really not a final version…

Further, when I use the “standard way” to start a movie (I have DVD navigation but no more options) I can only choose between (audio) AC1, AC2, etc. The name of the language is lost as well (it was there before). So you have to try and listen until you found your language.

I think I better roll back again to the previous version and wait for the next “final version”.

This one is an uncompleted beta version what they just make the new final version.

Thanks

Markus

That is the final version. There is a ‘DVD mode’ which gives you a menu and chapters but limits you on other things like zoom and then there is the normal file play where you get zoom etc but no menu’s. Basically thats it.

If you play it like Tony said then effectively you are back to the previous version.

[ If you have your DVD structure in a folder called VIDEO_TS:

Just browse to this VIDEO_TS folder (but not into this folder!) and press the PLAY-button on your remote controle. ]

Menu Navigation doesn´t work automatically !!

I have this structure and doesn´t work the menu navigation when I press the PLAY button on this folder.

I have to entry in VIDEO_TS folder and press OK in the file.

gccunha, you’re not paying attention.  

What you say is exactly what was said before as a solution to AVOIDING the menu mode.

Yes, you’re right.   If you do what you describe, the menus do not function, and that is EXACTLY what was intended.

My only complaint so far is that color spacing seems to reset to defaults whenever the box is turned off and back on again via the remote. resetted the box to defaults a few times to make sure this is not some weird glitch, but it seems to be how it is now.

testing on a sony 32bx300

I had to go back to 1.01.17 because of the thumbnail issue. Once i loaded all my thumbnails, removed them from the network folder and turned the unit back on it just froze when accessing the folder. This unit will be forever beta.

WD and the community thank you. Man am i glad I got a WD device. These updates get better and better. The work and service continued is impressive. WD is always there for you.  The update is perfect!

I’ve also just updated to the new firmware and am happy to report that all works well – no problems . . . yet. Here’s hoping all will continue to work well. Thanks to the WD team for their continued efforts.

Chinese .a s s Subtitles still has bugs.but 1.02.21 work well :cry:

Before upgrading my box was working perfect so I upgraded it to use the DVD menu feature that was finally released oficially. After downloading  the new firmware everything worked fine except that there were some audio drops every 3 minutes. I successfully downgraded the firmware to the last working version (1.02.21) I tried but the audio still drops and skips so WD thanks for making my WD Tv Live an annoying player to listen to.

Pablo, if back revving your firmware didn’t fix it, then the firmware has nothing to do with it. You have some other problem.