New Beta Release - WDTV Live Firmware Version 1.06.38_V (11/13/12)

Auto Framerate doesn’t work.

The navigation into the menu it’s very slow.

Downgrade to the 1.04.22 fw…again…

Hi,

I know it is little off topic but can anyone help me with info whether the DWA-140 H/W Ver: B3, F/W Ver: 2.00 will be supported in the new firmware?

Thank you!

friga wrote:

All along from the v1.05.04 version there is no more option “Digital Pass-Trough”. With that option sound was simultaneously present on optical and HDMI output. This was the nice feature because you didnt have to power on the audio receiver for watching videos with stereo sound only.  The best firmware for me was 1.04.22 because I was enable to watch and listen stereo sound  via HDMI and Digital sound via Optical.  where the HDMI is connected to the TV and Optical is connected to the home theatre receiver.

In my setup HDMI is connected to the TV and Optical is connected to the home theatre receiver.

Please, revert back that option and fix the auto frame rate and the box will be perfect :slight_smile:

KR

As friga already have mentioned it would be great to have the audio option “Digital Pass-Trough”  and the “Auto frame rate” feature back again.

Still don’t work in this beta.

How do you install the new software. The only thing I see is to update by internet and that says the .15 is up to date firmware

You install it by downloading it and installing with a usb drive. You cannot download via the player because it is beta firmware.

is possible now view cover and story of film   directly downloaded from the web?

Thanks

David

XRaiders wrote:

is possible now view cover and story of film   directly downloaded from the web?

Thanks

David

Are you referring to a Linksheet like this ?

1 Like

BBC iplayer does cut off earlier, sometimes too soon, at the end of the prog. I have compared the behaviour on the WDTV to that on my laptop. Not good for those dum dum moments in Eastenders.

There is a long pause before video playing from networked storage begins to play.

Other than that, pretty impressive. Look forward to the final version.

richUK wrote:
Bill said it was a 2 week beta in the first post of this thread, that was 2 weeks ago.

They’re still looking at the network shares issue.

Vize_ WOWWWW YEAH!!! how is possible to view this screen??

Thanks David

Bill_S is there any chance that they also look into auto frame rate problem?

I have no major problems with the beta other than those already mentioned (auto framerate, etc). The one issue that I notice now though is a change in Network Shares file listings. In previous firmwares, going in to Network Shares from any folder (video, music, photo) brought up a complete file list irrespective of the file type/extension. In the new firmware, this doesn’t happen and only the files with extensions compatible with that particular category (Music, Video, etc) are shown.

For example, it used to be possible to see and play movies (eg .mkv files) together with movie sheets (eg .jpg files) in the same folder. Now, if you want to see movies, you need to drill down through “Videos”, and if you want to see movie sheets, you have to back track to the main menu and go back through “Photos” even though the files are in the same directory.

I imagine that this was considered to be a bug, now fixed, but for me it was far more convenient to see all file types together. Perhaps it would be best to have a general “Folders” option for this like other players have, but at this late stage I doubt that is going to happen.

Bill_S wrote:

They’re still looking at the network shares issue.

That’s a must. Previously I had no problems connectin via wired and also not with the SMP. But 1.06.38 somehow messed that up.

Connection to Win7 shares keeps vanishing. Somtimes it´s there, sometimes it´s not. Even thogh I can access them from other computers in the same network.

XRaiders wrote:

Vize_ WOWWWW YEAH!!! how is possible to view this screen??

Thanks David

Linksheets like the example in earlier posting were a feature in early Firmware revisions and somehow got dropped by WD along the way.

The Freeware Program Thumbgen http://thumbgen.org/

does -in full auto mode- a pretty good job in crawling through your Media Files, pulling Infos from a huge variety of Online Databases like IMDB, and generate Linksheets based on Templates  and small Coversheet as folder icon.

However the visual presentation of the Library was IMO much better in Firmware releases early on - for example the Info sheets generated above could be set like a wall paper in the background - much more of an eye candy (like XBMC).

Edit: I stand corrected - Since JPGs are no longer listed/shown under the ‘Video’ Subtree during browsing, the Linksheets can not be ‘selected’ and viewed like before.

Folder & Coverart Thumbnails are ok though.

If you are really interested in the ‘eye candy’, you might want to take a look at community firmware versions for the WDTV Live @ WDLXTV. summarizing more or less the best (& a few more) features across the previous official Firmware releases.

Linksheets can even be looked up and generated ‘live’ during playback (Tronik player), online subtitle search, Trailer download,etc. … I am still amazed what this little box can do.

Best of all - using the ‘Boot from USB’ feature, changing from community firmware to this Beta version and back comes down to a Thumbdrive being either plugged in or not during reboot.

Best of both worlds & so simple to switch … I am really loving it !

BTW this USB Boot feature with its totally independent settings is REALLY neat & offers itself nicely for something like a ‘trial install & boot first’ for new Firmware releases.

In case a user experiences any Problems with the new Firmware, instead of Panic & frantic search for ‘how to roll-back-firmware-advice’, all you need to do is to remove the USB Drive and reboot.

I mean: ‘How cool is that’ ? :dizzy_face:

Be warned though - nothing for total No0bs -  or your WDTV might end up as a brick & paper-weight  :smileyvery-happy:

ppapadim wrote:

mike27oct wrote:

ppapadim wrote:

Hi all,

I want to ask whether the list of wireless devices supported by the new firmware has been updated.

If so does anyone have the updated list. Thanks.

I recently purchased a wireless adapter for my Live Plus and n-router.  The product is not on the approved list (because it is a newer item) but it works great just the same.  See this link:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/Add-another-wireless-USB-adapter-to-the-approved-list/m-p/491700/highlight/true#M16254 

Thank you for your reply. I haven’t upgraded yet to the beta version that is why I asked if there is a new list of supported devices. I will give it a try and see if the wireless I have is now recognised. The wireless I have is a TP-LINK TL-WN821N.

I will post the results.

Finally I installed the beta version and realised that the TL-WN821N Ver 3.0 is recognised by the WDTV. The product below is in the list of compatible devices.

TP-Link Wireless N USB adapter TL-WN821N Ver 2.2

I hope that the list get updated to include new supported devices so that support of the new devices can also be tested.

FabioF wrote:

Connection to Win7 shares keeps vanishing. Somtimes it´s there, sometimes it´s not. Even thogh I can access them from other computers in the same network.

Problems with ‘vanishing W7 SMB shares’ are reported  all too often in ‘mixed’ (Unix / WIN)  networks.

In my case this thread helped in resolving the issue quickly:

WIndows 7 shares not (always) visible on other computers

Basically comes down to W7 Firewall blocking ARP Messages.

The interesting bit is this though: Even totally disabling the Firewall is not enough to allow ARP Traffic !

You either have to uninstall the W7 Firewall completely

OR

explicitly allow this ARP Traffic.

I did the later- with ‘my’ Symantec Endpoint Protection monopolizing control of the W7 Firewall, Exceptions & Rules are defined within Symantec Control Panel - the following 3 (Symantec) rules resolved the issue completely:

Rule 1&2: Protocol: Ethernet

Ethernet Type: 0x806 and Ethernet Type 0x808

Rule 3: Allow all IP Traffic from your designated individual computers/devices PLUS 239.255.255.250 (Broadcasting Dummy)

Please note that all the info above was easily available in the Symantec Firewall Log by simply looking for blocked connections.

No real experience with broadcastings - therefore uncertain if 239.255.255.250 is a standard IP address (like 127.0.0.1 localhost) or keeps varying from network to network.

As stated before, it is somewhat odd that certain traffic types are excluded from the ‘Allow ALL’ Rule.

Very specific rules need to be created in order to allow such traffic - even through a disabled Firewall.

This is regardless if in Homenetwork or elsewhere.

Now could someone please translates the Symantec rules above in more general & direct W7 Firewall rules ?

I gave the new FW a chance but

• the device keeps on resetting video settings (connected via HDMI to Philips 40PFL5605K/02) if it’s powerd off and on

• it keeps much too long until the connected harddisks are recognized (2x  WD Elemets Portable, WDBAAR). With FW 1.05.04 this process was 4 to 5 times faster

Back to 1.05.04 :wink: