Network drops every approx 4 minutes

Hi all,

I facing the same problem . Tries almost all hints but not 100% sucessfull.

Anyway Current Firmware - 1.01.17 (1/2010)  is released today.

Just downloaded and testing, release note is just talking about ‘robust upgrading of firmware over internet’.

I checking.

regards

Axel

I know others have reported various success/failure with this but let me add my $0.02

I also suffered the drop every 4 minutes, both wired and wireless, to both an XP Pro machine and my Linksys WRT320N router’s attached storage device (USB hard drive).

I have discoverd that if I turn off the setting “share wd tv live on network” my connectivity issue goes away. Turn it on and in 4 minutes I’ve lost my network shares. Turn it off, reboot the box, and it’s back and I can watch back to back 2 hour movies without interruption.

My workgroup name is not “workgroup” or “mshome” and the settings on my XP Pro machine are bone stock normal.

Just wanted to share …

Yet another user with the same issue. It’s not every 4 minutes for me, but randomly. Sometimes it’s 5 or 10 minutes, sometimes 30 or 60. I’ve tried upgrading to the latest firmware (1.01.17), renaming my network to ‘Workgroup’, messing with the computer browser registry settings, assigning a static IP in my router, still the problem persists. There’s nothing in the system event viewer on the PC to suggest that anything has happened on that side of the connection.

My setup is a PC and laptop both on XP SP 3 that connect wirelessly (802.11g) to router (Sweex LW050), WD TV Live is connected via cat5 to router. Doesn’t matter what the file is but almost guaranteed the connection will drop at least once during viewing. It then takes a few minutes to get the share back though at least it will remember the spot it dropped the file at and offer to resume playback.

This would be such a great product at a great price point if only it worked! I have very little time left to decide if I want to return this to Amazon under the Distance Selling Regs (1 week in UK), otherwise I’ll have to rely on WD to turn out a fix. :cry:

Can you stream with wmp after you installed divx?

I have dvix intsalled and wmp still streams

Sorry I was having my mind on another thread.   To be more clear everyone is trying to netowrk shares but if you can stream mkv with WMP12 then most problems solved.   So what I meant from Steam after divx…

mkv with WMP 12?  Because WMP doesn’t stream mkv. and I installed cccp etc to get mkv codec.  Was wondering if I should uninstall and reinstall divx

If wmp 12 is the windows 7 version, ( I can’t find the version) then yes I believe you have to reinstall divx player to get 12 to recognize the format. When I switched to 7 from Vista I had to do reinstall divx…

I personally have no issues streaming with the wmp media server. It’s only a problem  when using shares directly!

Have you tried logging onto shares with your computer logon?  ie when win 7 starts that logon and password?  I used mine and no issues. 

I’ve had my unit since xmas, and haven’t had any issues with it, very pleased.  Updated to .11 via usb without a flaw.  This thing plays anything I throw at it, mainly use it for 1080 music videos.  Keep everything on a 1tb usb drive hooked directly to the wdlive.  Only hit one .ts file the play back is jerky on, and the odd vob, but haven’t gone through all 3500 of them to test all yet :smiley: 

Finally got around to running a cable to the basement and hooked it up to my network to try the utube and radio stuff, works flawlessly .  Even the mvids played fine over network, till I tried a movie.  Dropped after 4 mins consistently.  Changed to “workgroup” instead of “mshome” last night after reading, and watched a movie perfect last night via network. 

Haven’t tried the new firmware yet, but when I do, I’m going to do it via usb like last time as opposed to the network. 

Very happy so far… Cheaper than setting up a pc, and everything looks awesome on the 58" plasma

do people use logons for home computers?  I don’t!

Hi All,

Just to set the context I have worked in tech support for over 15 yrs :). Sorry for the long post but it should be able  to allow you to reproduce the problem consistently. I do not believe this is a networking issue per se caused by the transport layer (ie setting workgroup pieces up) as when I was downloading a file directly to the drive using BitTorrent from my laptop it was consistently showing 200k per second transfer rate yet browsing to it using windows failed every time. I belive it to be a filesharing problem based on the filesystem api’s not the network transport layer.

//Begin detailed diagnosis//

Ok so I have owned the WDTV Live with no problems what so ever until yesterday. I have had this device since before christmas. I use it as a Media server mostly burning dvd’s and numerous photo’s itunes et al.  I am (was) really happy with the system. I have hooked up a 1TB WDTV Mybook drive everything was working splendidly except for network drop outs every couple of hours when transferring data from my NSLU2 to the drive (300Gb of photos and Itunes takes it out of you!), I put this down to something arcane somewhere. (Note 1). All of my laptop’s/computers are setup as WORKGROUP computers after reading the posts here I enabled DDE networking.

Yesterday my troubles started. I can intermittently brows my attached drives, sometimes it will freeze, sometimes it will work fine then stop. Browsing down two sublevels on this system will freeze.Strangely a file on my drive will show up as a folder (Note 2)

What changed?

Couple of things:

1)My 1TB drive suddenly went over 500GB In size. My drive is the default format as delivered by WD I don’t know if this is FAT32 or NTFS.

2)I was transferring files at around 200k per second from the internet to my drive this really killed it.

3)I installed the latest firmware.

Symptoms:

1)The browsing problem everyone sees here (Note 1 above)

2)Connecting to the wdtv through the drive when having the sharing problem the interface is very very slow

3)Filesystem on drive when browsing from windows seemed to be corrupted (Note 2 above). Note I took the USB drive out of the system and connected it direcfly to the PC, used the onboad WD Tools to verify the drive and file structure and it was ok, i even played the avi file stated to be a folder.

How to reproduce problem Consistently:

1)Use something like bittorrent to transfer a file directly to the drive from an attached windows machine, this forces multiple connections to the drive, or use TeraCopy on a large file…

2)Have more than 500Gb on the drive (Supposition).

3)Have over 30,000 files in the drive sub-system (Supposition)

Resolutions:

1)Turning off the WDTV Share on network fixes the slow interface problems. Whilst  this fixes the playback if I had wanted to buy a none networked media streamer I would have bought the WDTV, not the Live version.

2)As an experiment I removed my WDTV 1TB drive and attached my 500GB (Non-Full) drive which has my movies on it, guess what the browsing was fine again from the laptop no drop outs.

3)I then reattached my 1TB drive (Leaving my 500Gb drive attached) guess what problem re-occured instantly within a couple of minutes.

4)I have deleted the .wdtv directory on multiple occassions and it still has the issue.

Conclusion:

1)If it was transfering files at high volume that caused the problem, then my test(3) above would have still worked fine as I rebooted the machine to clear any issues.

2)If it was a network sharing issue test (2) above would have not worked as it shared out the new drive ok.

3)If it was a database indexing problem (4) would have fixed it.

I therefore conclude that the linux system within the drive cannot handle file systems > 500GB or filesystems with over a certian number of files within the directory structure. I do not believe it is a networking drop out at all.

If people could post the size of their drive usage on here it would help inform the debate I feel as I feel quite strongly it is a fileserving problem not a networking problem my (note 2) above would confirm this (the system detailing a directory as a file yet attaching and running diags on the drive shows it to be an avi that I can play) and the fact that the cpu seems to go into meltdown (evidenced by the slow browsing of the interface or playing files on the drive locally with stutters).

So if you have the issue (or not) please put in the size of your drive and the number of files and the format of the drive NTFS/FAT32 if we see a common thread emerging I guess thats it :).

Pity about this, such a nice box, guess I’ll be treating it like a WDTV disconnecting my drive, attaching it to Lapto, what a darn pain.

Thnks

Dave

One final point, just verified now.

Attached 1 TB Drive, 1 500GB Drive, 1TB Drive is over 50% Used, 500GB drive is under 50% Used.

Browsed on the WDTV system to the local drive, guess what browsing a locally attached USB drive froze the system, hit home, slowly browsed to the Network Settings turned off the Sharing on a Network, like hitting a turbo-boost system speed up and I could play my videos…

Dave

What if your not using a drive…it solves nothing!

Appreciate all of your technical expertise Dave.  It looks like you have found some evidence of problems and some work arounds but they do involve less functionality then we were sold.  I think that there is enough evidence to warrant WD working on this in a lab and really getting to the root of the problem and resolving the issues.  We didn’t buy the device to spend hours trying to make it work by trial and error or to turn off features in order to get it to work.

As I said before, this is a great device, especially if it worked.  WD has the opportunity to win big with this one but buyers aren’t stupid.  Many check the support forums before they buy.

Bump bump Bump (again). 

Last time no response from WD.  Hopefully someone is monitoring this forum for something more important than just 4 letter words.  Let us know that your are or are not working on the problem.  Build trust with your customers, we are only trying to help.

I am in the market for another USB hard drive but I am thinking twice about WD (which I have bought in the past).

Gerry

oldslow wrote:

What if your not using a drive…it solves nothing!

• *> Agree with you, what I am saying is the filesystems ability to handle large drives (Be it remotely, or locally) is flawed. If you think it is TCP/IP put a continous ping on it and tell me how many times it drops out…> I assume you have problems connecting it to a NAS box? Care to share the details?> Dave>

my problem is the same as others stated here. I have recently moved from Vista to 7 and both will not play video more than a few minutes thru the share setup.however if I use wmp media server I have no issues sustaining playback…it’s something in the way it handles shares!

I am just using a PC to share mkv’s off the drive.

as an aside…I also have a popcorn hour in my downstairs…no problems using it off the network.

Hi, I’ve solved this problem turning OFF the “Share WDTV on Network” option on Setting Menu. After turning Off this option, network drops desapears on my WDTV Live. I just saw a hole HD-720 mkv movie through my wireless N adapter to my network NAS. It was 2 hour and five minutes without any interruptions… Record !!!

Regards,

Venboy

WDTV Live 1.01.11 firmware

I think i’m having the same problem. I had my box connected to a Net gear WPN824 with firmware 2.0.120_1.0.15.

I have a network share om my windows 7 64bit system. The share is on a 1TB samsung HDD.

I can see my shares on the WD TV live with no problem. I have a video, MP3 and photo share. MP3 and photo work without problem. 

My problemis with the videos. I can see the share, pick a film and let it play. After a random amount of time the film freezes and i get the network error that the WD can’t connect. All my shares are then gone.

When i go to my Win 7 system i see that my network is down!!! I have to reboot my windows system activate the card.

My WD TV Live has firmwar 1.0.1.17.

Is this the same problem taht everyone is having?

Dave: I think you are on  something.

I have around 6tb of music films and tv series on my server.

symtoms:

• sd matirial works fine (in documentary share)

• hd material drops from time to time (works better after new frimware) have only tested hd material in my movie share. I will test hd material from documentary share when i get home.

• some catalogs have the “no media in…” error 

• music works fine

I have basicly 4 shares with media all ntfs (its not a filesystem error because your drive had fat32, WD delever there external drives preformated with fat32)

Im away on travel so I dont have the exact number in my head.

TV SERIES

number of files:5000+

sixe: ca 3TB

Both SD and HD matrial

I get the no media error in this catalog

MOVIES(720p):

number of files: maby 500

sixe: 2 tb

Get drops

DOCUMETARY:

number of files: around 100

sixe: 50 gb

works fine on SD material

Music:

number of files: 12000-13000

sixe: 60 gb

Works fine.

My conclusion is that the number of files it self is not the problem(at least as long it is mp3 files). If that was the problem my music share definatly would have failed

I think it has to do with the size of the share and maby in a combination with the number of files.

when the share reach a certain size the drops starts, and then the size (in combination with no of files) reach a critical point the “no media error…”  appears.

hope it helps…

/M

Thanks for that corroboration it matches what I am seeing so number of files not an issue but start to get over 500gb could be a problem (At least for me). Strange…

One question I suppose has anyone seen this with the B-Rad firmware?

I am pondering a test on that.

Dave