N750 / N900 causes xbox 360 freezing / locking when combined with HDHomerun Prime

I wish I would have googled this problem before I sent my Xbox back to MS, only to have the new one do the same thing. I’m glad to know now what the problem was. I thought it was a heat issue, so I put the xbox on the patio and it worked fine for hours. Then I brought it back in and freezes within 5 minutes. I finally realized that on the back patio, I was using a Netgear router as a wifi extender. So if you still have this problem, plug the xbox into another router, not a switch but a router. My WD 750 still is the dhcp server for the network, but somehow the Xbox is working again while plugged into the Netgear router.

Oh wow, xbox freezing had vexed me for a couple of week.  Initially I was suspecting the xbox/media center itself, I almost asked for RMA of xbox but decided to get a used one as it costs about the same, when i saw the second unit also had the same problem, then I started looking else where.  I tried putting hdhomerun on DMZ, but xbox continue to freeze, I have other devices that use upnp, i wonder if any of those device would cause xbox to freeze with n750 too.  

I decided to give openwrt a try since it was that or get a new router.  Flashing openwrt firmware worked fine, but I messed up the setup first time and the router was not behaving.  I tried to flash the WD firmware back and that did not work, so I flashed openwrt again and this time kept most of the setting by default, and now it’s working fine, no xbox freeze with hdhomerun being just one of the devices on the network.  

I think openwrt has a lot of switches that a casual user may find confusing, and the web interface is not available by default so one needs to telnet/ssh to add the web UI package.  It may be a one way trip as I could not flash the WD firmware back, though I would think one could flash the WD firmware.  Something to think about if all other configuration failed…

I can confirm the above. open-wrt does mitigate the issue. I tried to post the same a few weeks ago but the ridiculous password standards and non-functional “keep me signed in” button of this forum have caused me to just give up on trying to be a regular contributor. Geeks really need to learn that stringent password requirements on sites as trivial as this one only hurt their community while providing little benefit. If I want a 7 character password (because I’m sure as heck not going to use my secure PWs on a site like this) then they should let me… Captcha? Seriously? Even my bank doesn’t require captcha to login… 

Anyway… after my goodbye to this forum rant because I surely won’t remember the password I just changed… I can confirm that open-wrt really improves the lockups and works quite well once the web interface is enabled as pineapplecake said. We have seen our XBox still lock occasionally but much less often than with the stock firmware. I certainly would not suggest the N750 to anyone for this fairly blatant problem, but it is workable. If it is flooding broadcast messages then XBox freezing will likely only be the most obvious among many other detrimental consequences.

Goodbye.

I assume those of you reporting that you installed open-wrt are using the N750.  Is that right?  I can’t find anyone mentioning open-wrt support for the n900 or any other custom firmware.

Please share if there are options for the n900 that my google searching has not turned up.