My Passport keeps connecting and disconnecting

Further to the experinces others appear to be havinge regarding the USB 2.0 / USB.30 issues, I have four ‘Passport’ portable drives, two of which are assword protected. 

Running any of the drives singularly was fine on the USB 3.0 socket.

The first issue I had was when connecting two drives to the computer through the USB 3.0 port when one was non protected and the other was protected. Instant problem with repeat connection on the password protected drive. In the end the only solution I found was to connect the password protected drive to one of the USB 2.0 ports and remove the password. It then connected to both USB2.0 and 3.0

The second issue came a while later when using only the password drive was connected top the USB 3.0 port. Re-connection started all over again. Back to using USB 2.0 port, removed password and applied Firmware update. 

Drive now alternates between being recognised as either a USB3.0 or 2.0 even when connected to a USB 3.0 port (all mobo USB 3.0 drivers up to date)

In short, I think there is an issue with USB 3.0 connectivity on the passport drives and for now I will use it only in the USB 2.0 ports until I hear the problem has been addressed by WD.

I did try swoping the USB leads around (re Ama zon theory) but it made no difference.

I am having the same issue when connecting my 500GB Passport drive via USB 3.0.  I have two identical WD My Passport drives and they are both behaving the same way. They both work fine when connected to USB 2.0 on Windows XP and Windows 7 machines. It is very frustrating. I’m a mobile DJ and purchased this drive to hold all of my files to use in a USB 3.0 slot while a DJ Controller is connected to my only USB 2.0 slot on my new laptop. This is not ideal. The issue at this point HAS to be within the WD drives 3.0 controller itself. My laptop is a brand new model (Asus), windows is completely up to date and all USB drivers have been updated as well. The issue persists. Considering both of these drives work perfectly on 2 separate computers running two different operating systems the issue is isolated to USB 3.0 connectivity. Please help WD, this is not making loyal customer feel like continuing to be loyal.

* For the record, my issues are: The drive continuously disconnects and reconnects. I am also receiving multiple messages to “format” the drive. These issues only occur when connected to either of my USB 3.0 ports.

All these complaints with no word from WD isn’t fair to the customers. Western Digital please help on this issue.

As an update, I created a ticket for this issue and WD support was quick to reply. I was issued 2 new USB cables to connect both of my passport drives with. They arrived today and were tested promptly. Unfortunately the issue was not corrected. The drive actually performs worse than before with the newly issued cables (which are a lot longer than the original). Very frustrating at this point to have two passport drives that I cannot use for the reason I purchased them.

I have the same problems, I have an Fresco Logic USB port. I’ve tried everything. I tested my drive on an intel USB 3.0 chip, and it works fine for 1 hour continuously reading and writing. After this hour I canceld testing.

i also have Fresco Logic USB on my ASUS laptop… so it may be fault with our usb controler

I don’t think it is an fault in our USB controller. I’ve also an Seagate 2.5" disk 1TB but I don’t have problems with that drive. It has the same cable…

I joined just to reply to this topic.

I am also having this same problem with a 2TB Mybook. I have tried practically everything.

New USB cables, different USB ports, different computer, different power supply, plugging it directly to the wall.

I have also tried the suggestions above about the power supply options and also i have downloaded a software that stops devices from sleeping. 

After trying all of them. Nothing has fixed it. Like the OP. iam also unable to complete a DLG or smartware or any type of scan as it would literally disconnect in and reconnect every 5 seconds.

I also have numberous seagates and i tried using the same power socket, same cable and same usb port and all the seagates work so i know the problem is neither of them. 

I have a feeling that the problem actually lies on the enclosure itself and that either the power supply plug in the enclosure or the USB 3.0 Pins in the enclosure is faulty or damaged.  I am wondering has anyone tried changing the enclosure with a new one and has it worked? 

Has anyone found any solutions yet! iam pulling my hair out!!! All i want is to have enough time to copy all my data to another drive. then i can happily throw this peice of junk out. 

Bought a 1 Tb My Passport before easter and its disconneting and reconnecting just like yours. Totally useless on USB 3.0.

Have 2 older ones that work like a charm on USB3.0.

This is some sort of design error problem?

As clippix68 points out I think the problem with random connect/disconnects affects a large number of users with Fresco Logic USB controllers. I have blogged about my experience here:

http://www.npcglib.org/~stathis/blog/2013/03/01/hardware-problem-western-digital-my-passport-usb-3-0-disconnects-randomly/

but to summarize, it is basically a problem with the driver used with the controller and it appears that newer versions of their drivers are just not working properly. I have switched back to a relatively old version of the controller’s driver in order to make it work with the USB 3.0 port of my AsRock motherboard.

It is generally NOT a problem of the drive itself, as I have used the same drive on different motherboards (diff controller - e.g. NEC) and never had a single disconnect.

I’ve just bought WD My passport 2tb and I have same problem, keep disconnecting and reconnect. Try other cable, try every thing on this page but its still not working. Imagine you want to watch  movie from hardisk… and keep stucking!!! pls help if you guy got the solution :angry:

I have a new WD My Passport USB3 2TB drive and was having the connect/disconnect problem using an Anker® Uspeed Superspeed USB 3.0 PCI-E Express Card on a Dell XPS 420 desktop running Win7/64. 

After further research, I discovered that there are now new Via drivers (see  http://www.via-labs.com/en/downloads/documents/VL800&VL801&VL805&VL806-Driver-V4.00B-ReleaseNotes.pdf and and  http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp#hubfirmware)  for the USB3 card I bought. 

In my case, the new drivers appear to have resolved the connect/disconnect problme with my WD 2TB drive. 

1 Like

Thanks for posting back.

Joe