My Passport (1TB) is restarting my Samsung LED TV (F6400)

Salve,

I had the same issue… Samsung LED TV (F6400) - buyed january 2014, and WD My Passport 1T, after a couple TV firmwares updates My Passport (1TB) was restarting my Samsung LED TV (F6400)

My Solution was a TV factory reset -

Open the main menu.
    Select the Support section of the main menu, and then press ENTER.
    Select the Self Diagnosis section of the Support, and then press ENTER.
    Select the Reset, and then press ENTER.
    Enter the security PIN (default 0000) for your TV.
    The reset warning will appear, select Yes and then press ENTER

- all is working OK now

Had the same Problem, when accessing the 1 Tb USB Disk the TV rebooted all the time, space used about 100 GB and worked already for more than a year.
To me it was a sudden Corruption of the Xfs Filesystem in the Disk which caused the reboots.

For fixing i booted Ubuntu 15 Desktop from USB and attached the Disk. When accessing the disk there was an Error due to Filesystem corruption. Unmounted the disk and called in an Terminal

sudo xfs_repair -L /dev/sdx (x for device)

Then i was able to read the disk, seeing a lot of encrypted files.
Now the Disk worked again as usual in the TV, no data lost

I too use an external 1TB drive to listen to music, view pictures and watch movies through my Samsung UE40F6320.
Initially it always worked as soon as I plugged it in, and in to any of the 3 USB ports.
Sometime recently, it stopped, and would cause the TV to reboot after maybe 30 seconds - 1 minute.
Its a Toshiba not WD, but searching online lead me to this thread and I was experiencing the same issues. The hdd is fine as recently took it on holiday and watched the movies through a small external freeview via its USB socket.
The power requirements etc are all good (as I said it always worked before just fine). So assume the TV updating at some point caused the issue. I reset the TV as instructed above, and it is once again working fine. I will test for the rest of the day and then update the TV - see if it stops working again.
Hope this helps

1 Like

im using an 8tb with external power supply…it works flawlessly

i had an issue like this with a weakened power supply…but i managed to change the components on the board and all is well

I had the same problem. It is because the power consumption of the hard drive is more than the maximum power which can be used from that particular port. Check if you have a port which delivers more power. I did the same thing. I have no issue now.