My HDD is locked and wont unlock

I have Elements SE, but don’t have access to my PC, I use laptop. That’s why I can’t check will this hdd from My Book work on PC if I get it from the box or not.

Nicko1579 wrote:

Bill,

You know what’s funny? How you’re trying to state that it’s the users fault, and not yours. Did you count how many posts are on here for the same exact issue?? I guess all hard drives locked because people don’t know how to use them properly??? Hope you guys are out of business soon (which is inevitable considering how you conduct business)

I don’t know if we’re talking about the same post.  But the only post I see that I responded to in this thread is listed below.  And granted, I may have been a little too sarcastic on that post, and I do apologize for that.  But the fact remains, that you can’t be in the middle of using the drive and then start a firmware update.  That will brick the drive.   So, yes, unfortunately it is the user’s fault for bricking his drive.  As he said, he was listening to music from that drive when he “might have” initiated a firmware update on that drive.  You must follow our proceedures for doing firmware updates.  If you don’t, then we can’t be responsible for the results.  We will still back the warranty, and allow you to do your RMA, but your data loss will be your responsibility.  Especially, when you admit that you did the update incorrectly.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-for-PC/My-HDD-is-locked-and-wont-unlock/m-p/191580#M6492

I was having this problem with my boyfriends’ drive.  I kept removing it and unplugging the USB like the message told me, but it didn’t work.  I finally just unplugged the power from the device itself, not the plug but the cord in the back of the drive and it fixed it and is now asking for a password

Which problem this is a long thread? Did the problem come from a failed firmware update? It will be easier for you to start a new thread and explain the problem.

Joe

I do think WD have to check Stupidmart again as this destroyed my life already. My 30 years data has been locked and may be erased with the typical error as above posts. I did nothing with firmware and anything, it just simply stopped and ask me password which I had never ever set before. Who could save my life? 

1 Like

I noticed that you only attacked this one person’s comment because you found a way to blame them. How about the many other people such as myself who was just using this drive to conduct business when it decided to lock itself. I am a software engineer and I put very important customer data on this drive that I now cannot get back. What do you say to that? This is data that cannot be replaced. Your company should be ashamed of itself. And you should buy back every last HD from these people and then give them a gift card to Seagate to buy a good drive.

B

2 Likes

CSIBryan wrote:

I noticed that you only attacked this one person’s comment because you found a way to blame them. How about the many other people such as myself who was just using this drive to conduct business when it decided to lock itself. I am a software engineer and I put very important customer data on this drive that I now cannot get back. What do you say to that? This is data that cannot be replaced. Your company should be ashamed of itself. And you should buy back every last HD from these people and then give them a gift card to Seagate to buy a good drive.

B

I am by no means trying to defend wd, because if you’re right about what you’re saying then you’re right.  but I can’t help but add my two cents to this.  you call yourself a software engineer and you put all your data on one drive expecting it to be okay?  you are not very bright.  I have posted countless times to people never to trust their important data to just one drive.  it’s not even a backup until it’s in multiple locations on separate drives (or media).  to me, it seems like you should be ashamed of yourself for not protecting your customer’s data. 

My Hard drive 2TB My Book Essential is also locked. lots of movies backups, TV shows and music that I bought was on it. lucky me I keep my photos on 3 different hard drives.

I have it 6 month, never tried to update the firmware, never installed the WD software and never set any password. I bought it because It was cheap and had good reviews (apparanetly I was checking the wrong sites…)

Now the lock light is on and I get a windows message that I need to format the drive before I can use it. it is showed as locked, but when I run the unlock software on the CD drive which appears on the computer, it tells me that the hard drive is not locked. (so I can’t even try and enter a password - which anyway would be useless since I never entered one and I understand that there is no default password).

I tried connecting it to different computers, as different users, uninstall the drivers and other suggestions people gave on different forums. Nothing helped.

Buttom line - Unless someone from the WD tech people will reply with a solution (which I doubt they can…) I will never get near WD again and I will make sure that none of my facebook friends (and their friends) will buy Western Digital products.

Buttom line - Unless someone from the WD tech people will reply with a solution (which I doubt they can…) I will never get near WD again and I will make sure that none of my facebook friends (and their friends) will buy Western Digital products.

Men, I’m really sorry that you have to go through this, but, if you are waiting for  WD Tech support answering here, then it will be a long wait, this is a user to user forum, if you need to talk to support, you need to call then:

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

please help

jhond wrote:

please help

Did you read the posts above? There is no user solution.

Joe

my essential book was working and reconized noe it is flasing light and cannot read it

is it asking for a password?  or just not showing up in computer?  cause if it isn’t locked with an unknown password then you should probably start a new topic.

I am facing the Same Problem, Sudden Auto-Lock of Drive and all **bleep**.

I am Surprised the way this “WD Customer Support Replier” replies to the posts in this forum. There is a limit of Stupidity, he calls the Customers of WD, who spent money and trust on their Products and finally proved to be fool. The WD HD Crashes and even this stupid replier to the posts, how the **bleep** can a customer support guy call the customer stupid, he has not spent even a single penny on customer, while customer has spent his hard earned money and trust.

■■■■■ REPLIER, ■■■■■ WD.

1 Like

ke_win wrote:

I am facing the Same Problem, Sudden Auto-Lock of Drive and all **bleep**.

I am Surprised the way this “WD Customer Support Replier” replies to the posts in this forum. There is a limit of Stupidity, he calls the Customers of WD, who spent money and trust on their Products and finally proved to be fool. The WD HD Crashes and even this stupid replier to the posts, how the **bleep** can a customer support guy call the customer stupid, he has not spent even a single penny on customer, while customer has spent his hard earned money and trust.

■■■■■ REPLIER, ■■■■■ WD.

WD Customer Support Replier…who is this? Wayne? If you are thinking that he is a WD tech support guy, you are mistaking, he is another user, just like you and me, I understand your frustration, I been there, but let’s try to be nice to each other, trust me, people tend to help users with issues here, they even spend a lot of time trying to see if possible to help the affected people, but when they see post like this, normally, they just move away.

In regards of your issue, some users here have reported that if you have a computer with multiple accounts, you can try to log in with a different user and try to unlock the drive, it works, hope it does for you.

1 Like

HY I am facing also the same problem. The disk is not showing on my computer or explorer. Till last week it worked ok. But know the disk only try to start. As I conect it to the computer I hear sound like I would bang with the hamer every second like dup, dup, dup. I also update firmware. Is there realy no solution or I mis understand redout. I’m not native English so it is posible. Any way I’m downloading the driwer for My book but it probably wont work. Can anyone help me. I would like to save the data witch consernig pictures of my family for the past five years.

simon76 wrote:

HY I am facing also the same problem. The disk is not showing on my computer or explorer. Till last week it worked ok. But know the disk only try to start. As I conect it to the computer I hear sound like I would bang with the hamer every second like dup, dup, dup. I also update firmware. Is there realy no solution or I mis understand redout. I’m not native English so it is posible. Any way I’m downloading the driwer for My book but it probably wont work. Can anyone help me. I would like to save the data witch consernig pictures of my family for the past five years.

Dude start your own topic, that way you can get better help. You can also use our spanish forum.

Try using the drive with a different cable or a different computer. 

Is you’re drive locked or is not seen at all by the PC?

In divice manager under disk drives it is seen. And if I double click it under general, shows that this device works properly, but under volumes shows - The volumes contained on this disk are listed below:

Disk:                          Disk1

Type:                          Unknown

Partition style:            –

Capacity:                    0MB

Unallocated space: 0 MB

Reserved space:     0 MB

Wd Smartware shows the disk locked and I can’t unlocked it.  I never have put any password in, to locked it.

This thread is 6 pages and months old. Did you read this thread or just jump on? If a firmware update, trying it on a different user account or PC doesn’t work you’re screwed there is no reset.

Joe

Thank’s Joe.