My Cloud Firmware 2.21.111 (7/25/16) Discussion

If one looks at the link posted above for earlier firmware they’d see that many of the prior firmware versions were issued as a zip file. I even commented above on this that they didn’t zip this latest v2.x firmware file for some reason. If one follows the link (http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?g=904&lang=en) WD posted in the announcement thread/post elsewhere (and linked to in my top post) they’ll see in the “Updating the firmware on your My Cloud” section at the bottom of the page, the following text: “2. Unzip the file and you will find the actual firmware in this format: My_Cloud_GLCR_2.xx.xxx.zip.” (obviously a typo)

For the v4.x firmware the support page under “Updating the firmware on your My Cloud” it indicates the following: “2. Unzip the file and you will find the actual firmware in this format: sq-040403-xxx-2016xxxx.deb.”

WD initially posted an announcement of the v2.x My Cloud firmware update back on the 22st then pulled that announcement only to post it again yesterday. When they initially posted the announcement on the 21st they didn’t post the firmware, but they did (for what ever reason) post the GPL firmware.

I used the previous v2.x firmware file as an example to show its a BIN file and was in a zipped file when compared to the current v4.x firmware file which is also zipped but is a DEB file. When I wrote up the previous firmware thread that I post above, I pulled the URL links right from the WD website, they came from posts in this My Cloud subforum that were made when the firmware was initially released.

When I download the two zipped firmware files from the links I posted in my prior post here is what they show when I click into them, one DEB (v4.x), the other BIN (v2.x) when viewed with Windows 10 Windows File Explorer.

v2.x firmware - My_Cloud_GLCR_2.11.140.zip:

v4.x firmware - sq-040403-113-20160510.zip: