My Book Live 2TB Very slow

Just got my 2 TB MBL a few days ago and I’m also experiencing a painfully slow initial backup!

I started it on Sunday night…been going non stop and I also have the “back up on when pc is at idle” clicked off…and it’s still at 850GB of 1.2 TB to back up. According to my resource monitor on Windows 7 it’s uploading at 2 - 3 MB a second (3,000,000 bits on resource monitor). Terrible.

My connection is from the MBL to my Gigabit port Belkin router to my Gigabit network card on my PC.

So what could it be? Maybe my ethernet cables? I used the one in the box to connect the drive to the router but maybe from the router to the pc is a **bleep** cable? Never noticed slow internet speed though and get 25 meg downloads and 2 Meg uploads on speedtest.net. Maybe an outdated driver?

Any help would be great. I posted another thread here if you want to post in that instead!

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Just-got-my-Book-Live-questions/td-p/315835

*** SOLUTION ***

Well, not sure anybody else can benifit from my solution, but here it goes. I have a MacPro running Lion. The good thing about the Macpro is that it has 2 NIC cards. I plugged the MyBookLive directly into the second port and configured all parameters manualy; Duplex and MTU. I set the MTU option to it’s max: 9000.

My backup time went from 233 days to 12 hours for the first backup (using TimeMachine).

On the box itself, I diesabled putting to sleep the harddrive as TimeMachine would sometimes not mount the device in time.

PS, at 233 days, I never managed to finish the first backup… :wink:

1 Like

The MTU size clearly matters but for me the solution was turning of the Twonky Server in firmware 2.10.09. With this service enabled the transfer rates went down extremly because it seems to me that the drive is indexing all the time.

Just my two cents.

CU

Scatman

1 Like

Hi there. Need some help as well since I am not familiar with network stuff. I bought a WD MyBook Live 2TB myself. My router is a Thomson Speedtouch 585v7. This is a 10/100 modem/router, not gigabit (1000).

I am currently copying some matroskas to the HDD. Speed is 11MB/second. Not as bad as some of the speeds I read in other posts but definitely, not good. I suppose, this is because of my router?

Anything I can do to test it? I read about connecting HDD directly to my desktop PC. I just plug connect them with a lan cable and access it directly? My m/b has only one ethernet port.

I would love some help with this since I am n00b with network thingies. Thanks in advance

Yep;  11 MBytes per second is 88 MegaBITS per second.   So, accounting for “overhead,” that’s 100% network utilization… that’s as fast as you’ll ever see it.

Just go get an inexpensive Gig Ethernet switch and be done with it.  ;)   No need to replace the router.

Just plug the switch into the router, and plug all your goodies into the switch instead of the router.

Good Gig switches can be found for less than $40 USD.

1 Like

Excellent! :smiley: I just saw TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5 Port Gigabit Switch sold here (Greece) for about 20 euros so I will go for that. Thanks for you prompt answer Tony! :smileyvery-happy:

Most likely the delay is caused by Windows Explorer, when you enter a folder with picture/mp3/video files, Windows Explorer will try to get all metadata (width, height, frames, type, tags etc) by using registered decoders like ffdshow, obviously it is very very slow to get metadata remotely.

so try some 2-panel interface software like Total commander, FlashFXP to browse and transfer files, since they don’t bother getting metadata, it should be much faster.

jazzymood wrote:

RyanS wrote:

How can I tell what the drive is doing?

• *> Basicly only way to tell is to enable ssh (using hidden menu in webinterface), log in and type ‘ps aux’. If you don’t know nothing about linux you can just type:

ps aux > output.txt

It will save current proccess list in file output.txt , copy/paste content of that file in http://paste2.org , share URL here and I will tell what your drive is doing…

Hi everybody

Like for user  RyanS, I am experiencing extremely low peformances both in reading and writing. This happened after changing the router to which MyBookLive was connected + upadting my OS to 10.7 Lion. I cannot tell which of the two caused the problem because I introduced the changes together. Skipping the router and connecting MyBookLive directly to my laptop through Gigabit Ethernet does not solve the problem, the device keeps making noise like it was performing some action and the green led keeps flickering.

I don’t have any experience in Unix, neither In network setting. However, I managed to turn on ssh from http://[device address, in my case mybooklive.local]/UI/ssh and connect to the device through Terminal, typing in ssh root@[device IP address, found in the basic UI under “network” tab]. Right, so now I have the list of the processes running on my device (typing ps aux ), and I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me if something is wrong. The list can be found here:  http://paste2.org/p/1933479

And this also can be useful to view the active tasks:  http://paste2.org/p/1933599