Mkv freezing

I am having the same freezing issues from my NAS, even movies that were ok in the past.

user08152 wrote:

thatā€™s what I used actuallyā€¦hmā€¦

I created a new mkv straight from mkvMergeGUIā€¦with aforementioned resultsā€¦maybe I should try your 2-step-process?!

Im using mkvmerge as u suggested and so far so good, can rename and move files, and they work on wdtv (so far!)

its not a codec issue your having is it? as i had similar issues until i uninstalled the diivx codec pack - just a thought.

Iā€™ve reported this issue a 3 weeks ago. The issue is with the SMP and encoded files using Handbrake 0.9.6 or Vidcoder. The encoded files play fine on the WDTV Live & WDTV Live Plus. I donā€™t have any problems if I encode using Handbrake version 0.9.5.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/MKV-files-Freeze-SMP/idi-p/370725

messo wrote:

Im using mkvmerge as u suggested and so far so good, can rename and move files, and they work on wdtv (so far!)

its not a codec issue your having is it? as i had similar issues until i uninstalled the diivx codec pack - just a thought.

heheā€¦advanced video voodoo :slight_smile:

uninstalled the divX codec pack and now Iā€™m also able to rename and delete the filesā€¦thanks!

(thumbnails are still gone, also no more mkv playback in Windows media playerā€¦you just canā€™t have everything it seemsā€¦ :-/

user08152 wrote:

messo wrote:

heheā€¦advanced video voodoo :slight_smile:

uninstalled the divX codec pack and now Iā€™m also able to rename and delete the filesā€¦thanks!

(thumbnails are still gone, also no more mkv playback in Windows media playerā€¦you just canā€™t have everything it seemsā€¦ :-/

vlc all the way!!

so going forward I am going to use the previous version of handbrake to encode my rips, that should mean I dont need to remux, and Iā€™m not going to update firmware on wdtv until reading these forums, especially not for an MLB updateā€¦

This is an issue Iā€™ve encountered a few times with different files as well - MKVā€™s freezing at the same spot in playback.Ā  Iā€™ve trawled through google looking for solutions (as none sem to have been presented by WD staff - consumers whoā€™ve purchased the product have essentially turned int WDā€™s de facto R&D team it seems - posting results and workarounds on this site.Ā  Whereā€™s my paycheck!!??).Ā 

Just this morning I thought Iā€™d try yet again to see if I could identify and rectify the problem by re-encoding with different settings and testing - a tme consuming process!Ā  I recalled reading somewhere that using the front port on the media player might be a solution (despite the fact theat the cord is visible making the setup less visually appealing).Ā  Yesterday I reset the player to factory defaults (I assume this resets the firmware to default too).

Up until the time of writing Iā€™ve tried 7 different encodes of exactly the same file using various settings.Ā  With the external WD 1TB portable HDD plugged into the FRONT PORT there have been no playback issues at all.

Iā€™ll attempt once Iā€™ve completed this painful experiment, to let you know if the rear port has issues with playback of the same files.Ā 

Hope this helps.

mooster wrote:

This is an issue Iā€™ve encountered a few times with different files as well - MKVā€™s freezing at the same spot in playback.  Iā€™ve trawled through google looking for solutions (as none sem to have been presented by WD staff - consumers whoā€™ve purchased the product have essentially turned int WDā€™s de facto R&D team it seems - posting results and workarounds on this site.  Whereā€™s my paycheck!!??). 

Just this morning I thought Iā€™d try yet again to see if I could identify and rectify the problem by re-encoding with different settings and testing - a tme consuming process!  I recalled reading somewhere that using the front port on the media player might be a solution (despite the fact theat the cord is visible making the setup less visually appealing).  Yesterday I reset the player to factory defaults (I assume this resets the firmware to default too).

Up until the time of writing Iā€™ve tried 7 different encodes of exactly the same file using various settings.  With the external WD 1TB portable HDD plugged into the FRONT PORT there have been no playback issues at all.

Iā€™ll attempt once Iā€™ve completed this painful experiment, to let you know if the rear port has issues with playback of the same files. 

Hope this helps.

Please describe: What model P/N is located at the bottom of your device?
I do suspect that may be a difference between models ending with ā€œ01ā€ and ā€œ00ā€(revision ā€œ01ā€ and ā€œ00ā€).
This issue described in details here:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Intention-to-finalize-a-rear-USB-port-issue-drives-USB-3-0/m-p/392589/highlight/true#M7913
This may help to accelerate it solution.

PN ends in 01 - hope this is helpful.Ā 

The method described above (plugging into the front port) is still proving effective - no freezing of playback for any of the previously problematic files.Ā  I still havenā€™t bothered upgrading the firmware again either in case it sends things screwy.

I read about this particular player somewhere else, that the usb cable ā€˜appearsā€™ to not be fully inserted even when it can be pushed no further.Ā  This is the case for my unit as well.Ā  Is it going to be possible to fix the issues that the rear port is clearly having with a firmware upgrade?

To the best of my knowledge the WD external, portable 1Tb HDD Iā€™m playing from is USB 2.

1 Like