MBWE doesn't go to standby-mode

doesn’t work for me unfortunalty. Twonky and mionet are both off

my MBWE finally went into standby last night.

twonky set to 0 rescan with logging off

mionet off with SSH hack

If you have feature packs, uninstall transmission - this accesses the network. Shame

Only can say: NEVER SEEN BEFORE

Next joice WILL be a buffalo drive! Sorry WD, you lost your chance, bye

I have gotten whitelite with latest firmware -i think its version 01.01.16.

when I 1st got it it went into sleep mode fine. but after hacking it and adding an external drive it stopped going to sleep. I added the featurepack mgr, snmp server, samba 35 with swat, inetd with telnet, optware, mrtg, etc etc

Im not sure what changed -but upon researching it I found out:

the whitelites have a script that runs called monitorio.sh: this apparently monitors the Disk I/O and controls the LEDS and sleep mode.

this depends on a executable called hdparm. i think its in /usr/sbin. the version of hdparm in version 01.01.16 is broken and always reports the drive as active. this breaks the monitorio.sh script.

the fix is to install optware and use ipkg to install the optware version of hdparm. it is a later version and works. I renamed the original hdparm file and copied the new one to /usr/sbin.

upon reboot it started to sleep again.

also upon a little experimenting I also modified the monitorio.sh script -I changed the parameter “SLEEPTIME” from 10 to 5. this made it go to sleep more like I wanted it to. I may change this back however

i think if you run any of these media servers and have a lot of media it mostly prevents the drive from sleeping. i tried using minidlna instead of twonky and it wouldnt sleep.

I hope this helps people

david

I have gotten whitelite with latest firmware -i think its version 01.01.16.when I 1st got it it went into sleep mode fine.

but after hacking it and adding an external drive it stopped going to sleep. I added the featurepack mgr, optware, snmp server, samba 35 with swat, inetd with telnet, , etc etc

Im not sure what changed -but upon researching it I found out: t he whitelites have a script that runs called monitorio.sh: this apparently monitors the Disk I/O and controls the LEDS and sleep mode.

this depends on a executable called hdparm. i think its in /usr/sbin. the version of hdparm in version 01.01.16 is broken and always reports the drive as active. this breaks the monitorio.sh script.

the fix is to install optware and use ipkg to install the optware version of hdparm. it is a later version and works.

1. install optware
  2.  use “ipkg install hdparm”
  3. I renamed the original hdparm file hdparm.org and copied the new one to /usr/sbin. [of course many ways to do this]
  4. I shut off all running services possible for test purposes.
  5. rebooted

after a reboot it started to sleep again after 10 mins.

also upon a little experimenting I also modified the monitorio.sh script -I changed the parameter “SLEEPTIME” from 10 to 5. this made it go to sleep after 5 mins. I may change this back however

i think if you run any of these media servers and have a lot of media it mostly prevents the drive from sleeping. it wont sleep if twonky is running. i tried using minidlna instead of twonky and it wouldnt sleep. i think im going to leave twonky disabled and only start it manually when I want to use it-- i mostly use the WD as a samba server.

its **bleep** lame WD tech support apparently doesn’t seem too know about this or have a fix.

I hope this helps people:wink:

david

i dont know why that post was so weird here is repost:

I have gotten whitelite with latest firmware -i think its version 01.01.16.

when I 1st got it it went into sleep mode fine.

but after hacking it and adding an external drive it stopped going to sleep. I added the featurepack mgr, optware, snmp server, samba 35 with swat, inetd with telnet, , etc etc. I think it actually stopped when I copied a lot of data to the drive.

I’m not sure what changed -but upon researching it I found out: 

t he whitelites have a script that runs called monitorio.sh:

this apparently monitors the Disk I/O and controls the LEDS and sleep mode.

monitorio.sh calls on a executable called hdparm. i think its in /usr/sbin. the version of hdparm in version 01.01.16 is broken and always reports the drive as active. this breaks the monitorio.sh script.

the fix is to install optware and use ipkg to install the optware version of hdparm. it is a later version and works.

1. install optware
  3. I renamed the original hdparm file hdparm.org and copied the new one to /usr/sbin. [of course many ways to do this]
  5. rebooted

after a reboot it started to sleep again after 10 mins.

also upon a little experimenting I also modified the monitorio.sh script -I changed the parameter “SLEEPTIME” from 10 to 5. this made it go to sleep after 5 mins. I may change this back however

i think if you run any of these media servers and have a lot of media it mostly prevents the drive from sleeping.

it wont sleep if twonky is running. i tried using minidlna instead of twonky and it wouldnt sleep.

i think im going to leave twonky disabled and only start it manually when I want to use it-- i mostly use the WD as a samba server.

its inexcusably [hows that?] lame WD tech support apparently doesn’t seem too know about this or have a fix.

I hope this helps people

david

Hi 

I am a linux gumby so would love a little bit more info on the following…

1. install optware
  5. rebooted

In step 3 you rename hdparm…and copied new one…where is it copied from?  Is it one you created?  Step 1 and 2 are fine, but step 3 throws me and I dont want to brick the unit…just want it to sleep :slight_smile:

Cheers

I received a mail from WD. WD is working about the problem !:smiley:

For me with my new MBWE it is OK !

New firmware here : http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/New-Release-Firmware-Version-1-02-04-for-My-Book-World-Edition-I/td-p/43543

I won’t download this firmware, I stay with 1.1.18 !!

Installed the firmware yesterday. It included a newer version of Twonky (5.1.4-1) which, according to Twonky release notes fixes some bugs regarding problems with NAS going to sleep. This Twonky version also natively supports .mts files. I am very happy with that because I own a Sony handycam which uses this format and now I don’t have to convert files any longer. Furthermore it no longer crashes when I click “restart server”. Great work!

It also includes a newer version of mionet. But it doesn’t change anything on script modification you made. So mionet will still remain shutdown if you used the hack mentioned earlier. Also all options (like ssh) remain intact. I can’t tell the difference between 1.01.18 and 1.02.04 because I had version 1.01.16.

Been running it for 2 days now, without any problem. It also goes to sleep and stays that way.

Hello

I have the same problem with sleep mode. i have tried switch off mionet, twonky… etc dosn’t work for me.

Anybody can have a look on my log? I am not getting this?12/07 18:33:53  MyBookWorld syslog.err miocrawler: *** Disk full. No thumbnails created. i have more than 50gb free space! MBWEII newer firmware.

Thanks

12/07 18:33:53  MyBookWorld syslog.err miocrawler: *** Disk full. No thumbnails created.
 12/07 18:01:35  MyBookWorld syslog.info miocrawler: === mc_trans_updater_init() …Done.
 12/07 18:01:35  MyBookWorld syslog.info miocrawler: mc_trans_updater_init() …
 12/07 18:01:35  MyBookWorld syslog.info miocrawler: === inotify init done.
 12/07 18:01:35  MyBookWorld syslog.info miocrawler: === mcUtilsInit() Done.
 12/07 18:01:35  MyBookWorld syslog.info miocrawler: mcUtilsInit() Creating free queue pool
 12/07 18:01:35  MyBookWorld syslog.info miocrawler: === mc_db_init …Done.
 12/07 18:01:35  MyBookWorld syslog.info miocrawler: ++++++++ database exists: ret = 0
 12/07 18:01:35  MyBookWorld syslog.info miocrawler: mc_db_init …