LED problem?

I’m gonna bump this thread and postulate that it’s not a firmware issue.  I updated to most recent on saturday.

yesterday while dusting around the drive, while it was sleeping, I picked up the front side and move the dirve like an inch.  I saw the blue light go from dim, to birght, then flittering back and forth and go out.  really seems like a loosed conncetion/cold solder joint or something like that.

that’s what i see

i did not change any system (factory) setting. update interval is 1-2 seconds

why could this happen?

MyBookLive:~# cat /usr/local/nas/led_color
off
off
green
green
off
green

I would think that is normal for a MBL that’s not in standby and is active.

led_color should never state off, should always be one color or another.

Mines the same, I now have no blue or red just.

I’ll be RMA this one too, lets see if I’m lucky on the third unit or this is a wide spread My Book Live defect that will never get solved nor explained by WD to the community what is actually causing it.

I have the same problem: only the red light works after a reboot.  No blue or green LEDs.

I agree that it’s a circuitry proble.  I love all my WDC products (8), but all are very senstive.  I have two WD Live hubs and both lose sound if I pick them up.  I then have to reset to get the sound back.  So, I try not to physically bother the products, except when dusting becomes obvious!

The WDC media products (including its line of HDDs) are the most innovative.  It’s shameful that the company can’t get better quality control.

have two WD Live hubs and both lose sound if I pick them up.  I then have to reset to get the sound back.  So, I try not to >physically bother the products, except when dusting becomes obvious!

It reminds me of old Synclair computer where if you move a machine, all memory was gone :cry:

seriously,  My first unit was RMAed and the second unit also lost a light after three months.  From this thread, I can see at least one another individual also had two units went bad.   Think about a probability of two individuals to receive two bad units in a row.  If this is a compoennt problem,  WD must have received a really bad quality LEDs.  Failure of LEDs like drops of rain just won’t happen though.

Its more natural to think it is bad design or firmware problem.  Since somebody from WD denied this was a firmware problem,  I nowdeduct this is hardware design issue.

My green LED decided to start working again after a few months of being completely off. I didn’t have to do anything to get it back. I think it may have to do with the sudden temperature change in my room because of the colder weather coming. Possible expansion/contraction of electronic components inside? It has been working for about 2 days straight now. However, the blue standby LED still doesn’t work though.

You can have WD ship another new MBL free of charge and then return your defective MBL.  Your total cost is $1.49.  I think that most people will find this a reasonable fee.

alirz wrote:

Hi,

i’m having the same LED not  working issue with my mybook live drive that i bought 4 months ago.

i understand its under warranty but im not willing to pay for the shipping fee to return the defective drive to WD.

It’s very irresponsible of WD to not offer a completely hastle/charge free replacement method.

This is my second mybook live, when i initially bought it 4 months ago, a week later the drive status came up has BAD.

Had to replace that at the retail store.

And now i have this problem…What do i do?

I don’t think shipping is that cheap

Yes it is, if you get your shipping label from WD. Good luck. The hard part is moving your files!

Costs for sending a drive back for RMA from Australia are $53.12 to have item sent to Singapore! Considering I purchased the item for $175 AU online from WD STore including delivery, 33% of total cost to send a faulty drive back to Bloody WD is beyond disgusting so for those who think shipping of an RMA Drive is reasonable think again. It may be a different story in the US . I have 8 x various Hard Drives from WD, most are running or powered on 24x7 , I have never had a LED problem with any of these. The reality is this : There is obviously a MAJOR Fault with the LED Componentry or circuitry, instead of WD being the company we know and trust & dealing with the issue in a proper manner, instead they have decided to sting all of those customers who have bought their product & had problems, by outrageously charging their customers to send an inferior product back to them as though it was our problem, these matters when suspicion of hardware failures, should be returned back to WD at their cost!!! You Know Postage Paid!!! Obviously Quality Control is not what it once was!

Send an email to their customer service complaining about the shipping costs and they should send you a paid postage label. If not at first try try again.
This is what I’ve just done as I paid postage the first time I RMAed the thing.

I’m sure inside WD somebody got their wrist slapped or even fired for this led design **bleep** up.

Good luck

I just joined the club. Since this morning the lights are gone from my 2TB MyBook Live. The only one left is red at the startup. Also by the looks of it WD provides advanced RMA only to North America and European countries, so I would have to ship my hard drive first to them in order to get a new one. Where the **bleep** am I suppose to put all the data?

If you have a whinge to customer service in regards to not having advanced RMA. In Australia or wherever you are from! And why you would have to be without your product for extended period of time when it is their stuff up in regards to poor quality control & workmanship. However as I stated earlier I also was stung with a $53. Delivery fee to return broken drive! Absolutely Bloody Ridiculous I hope you are even more successful than I. Good news is 2nd Drive is great so far , only 1month old though so I won’t get too excited yet. Original purchase price online from WD store $179 with free delivery. I think it would be better to keep the broken drive if it is going to cost a small fortune to have it returned…

Got the blue LED problem here. A few weeks ago it flickered from bright to faint blue for a few days and is now permanently faint. It is definitely a hardware failure, not firmware. If you are confident enough to SSH into the MBL you can confirm this by typing “echo cccc > /usr/local/nas/led_color” where cccc is the colour you want to test (i.e. red, green, yellow, blue).

Contacted WDC and actually got a response that admitted there was a problem:

“There is a condition that has been identified that can affect the LEDs due to a cleaning solution used during the manufacturing process. I can assure you that this issue will not affect the performance of your My Book Live.”

I was offered an RMA, although this was mainly because of another problem connected with the NTP service, but that’s another thread. I’m inclined to live with the failed LED, although there is the slight worry that the cleaning solution will eventually eat its way into something important!

Hope this is of help to someone.

Interesting. My my green and blue lights returned to life today. Mysterious is this machine…

Mine just went out again after being on for a week, and before that off for a few months. 

Add me to the list of failed LEDs on my six month old 3TB model. Blue stopped working first, then green a few weeks later. Then they both came back but much dimmer. Now they are both gone again. I bought the unit in Canada and took it to Brazil, so obviously no RMA for me.

add me to the list too. I have had the drive for a while now, over a year I think. The drive appears to work but no lights. I have done a full factory reset - took ages, no difference. Then I decided to turn the drive off and let it cool down (maybe heating is an issue). this morning when I switched on I did see the full range of lights so I know the leds themselves are functional. Then after a while… no lights again. I am using the latest firmware… could it be a firmware issue?.. is there a way to downgrade the firmware if that was the case. This thread has been rumbling along for ages and WD really should tell us what the problem is by now.

Sean