Large File Problem eg. Backup-Jobs

maybe its going slower so it wont overload, crash, and not copy all your files over to the mbw. that sounds about right for what your getting unless you have gigabit port router, etc.

Yeah itā€™s over a gigabit wired network. I was getting > 15 MB/s before the ā€œfixā€. Reads are as slow as the writes.

But Iā€™ll take a slow stable system over a fast piece of ā– ā– ā– ā– .Ā ļ»æ:smiley:

Lars or any other reader of this forum,

Can you do me a favour and post the full copy of your S90smbd file.Ā  Thankyou in advance.

Ladies & Gents

Iā€™m also having this freeze problem, however solutins presented in this tread (and in this:Ā  http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/WD-World-Edition-white-light-freezes-locks-up/td-p/99198/page/6) seems unfortunately beyond my understanding and to technicalā€¦

Is there bullpointed presentation for dummies on what to do - step by step anyplace in here?

Thanks,

BR JĆøran

It sounds like you could use a managed file transfer platform. Here is what I use http://www.thruinc.com/products-services/managed-file-transfer/Ā Ā  It lets you send files or folders of any size as a regular email while also being completely secure and trackable.

Hi Lars,

I followed the instructions to remove nice from the S90smdb script Ā , but i guess did something wrong while saving and exiting out of SSH . Now i canā€™t access any files from my Win 7 laptop. issue with Samba share ?Ā 

Any advise how i can restore S90smdb to it original state ?Ā 

@sunraina: if the mbw is not accessible at allā€¦youā€™d need to take out drive A, connect it to a pc, use ext2fsd to read the volume and modify the S90smdb file to original state.

Thanks for your response jdz2k , it is accessible through SSH , just canā€™t access any files through Windows 7.

Iā€™ll try connecting it to my laptop and give your suggestion a go .Ā 

Hi jdz2k ,Ā 

Followed your advice and connected drive A to my pc , looking in /etc/init.d/ S90smbd is blank (0kb) Ā :(Ā 

Are you able to send me the contents of this script , so i can copy paste it .Ā 

Thanks

ill send this to you. its 136 lines so i cant paste it here i assumed youā€™d want the one i use w/o the nice command. there is nothing nice about it locking up everythingā€¦lol.

Awesome !! , thanksĀ 

Tried to copy 300 Gb films (file sizes: 700 Mb ~ 4.68 Gb): after copying ~90 Gb device hangs up and does not respond to any connection (web-interface, ftp, ssh), but responds to ping.

When I copying the same files with FTP, copy process starts with speed ~10 Mbytes/sec (limited by my 100 mbit network), but after 5-6 hours it starts looking like that:

1 sec: copyimg at 1.2~1.5 Mb/s

3 sec: no data transfer

1 sec: copyimg at 1.2~1.5 Mb/s

ā€¦ etc, and SSH connection and web-interface works VERY slow.

This is the same bug you described in the head post?Ā 

P.S. sorry for my terrible English.Ā 

your english is fine on previous post. follow the steps on the 1st page of this post by myself to fix.

jdz2k:

Hi: Iā€™m having the same problem as others with the large file size copy problem and Iā€™ve dug through the posts.Ā  I have a ā€œMy Book World Editionā€Ā  (one of the early ones which is white and has the blue circle lights on the front).

Unless Iā€™ve misunderstood the whole thread, it appears that the key fix is to remove the nice command from the samba init file.Ā  You have been active in this so I thought I could direct my question to your last post.Ā 

My problem is I cannot get the putty command to connect into the drive.Ā  I get a ā€œNetwork error: Connection refusedā€ when I try to open the putty ssh request to port 22 of the ip address of my drive (192.168.1.2) .Ā  I can get the http link to the drive by connecting to 192.168.1.2 through Firefox which allowed me to update the firmware to the most recent version (02.00.19).Ā Ā  I have tried rebooting the drive itself and the wireless network n-router thatĀ  this drive is connected to via ethernet cable.

Any idea what Iā€™m doing wrong or advice as to figure out how to connect to the drive to change the line in the samba init file??

Thanks a bunch!

hey. i dont think your version of the mbw had a way in. but, let me see, if theres a way in for youā€¦

Thanks, I guess.Ā 

If it turns out I canā€™t get into the drive is there any other way I can fix the fact it freezes up when I try to copy files to it?Ā  It even freezes when I copy a file of only 30mb, which isnā€™t all that large.Ā 

The whole purpose of getting this drive was to set up networked back-ups for the machines on my systems.Ā  I could just trash the drive and get a newer one, but this experience does not give me the confidence to buy a replacement.Ā  Which drive should I get?Ā  Do all WD network drives still suffer from this problem?Ā  Are Seagate, LaCie, IOmega or another manufacturers drives any better? Ā 

i know its horrible for the drive to freeze up. i was soo busy when i bought this and not sure why it was freezing up that i ended up keeping it as it was too late to return. thank god i was able to find help here and get it fixed after a year or so of having it. i wouldnt buy another wd nas product but i like their hddā€™s alone. my xtreamer etrayz nas has turned out to be the best for me but i have the wd nas doing backups via rysnc! you have to get into it or else it wont stop happening.

Okay, now Iā€™m really confused.Ā 

After having finally gotten my drive to allow ssh (thanks, jdz2k for the link to the hack for the bluering MyBook drive),

I login and my drive does not have an /etc/init.d/S90smbd file.Ā  When I grep for the string ā€œsmbdā€ in the /etc/inet.d

directory I get only one hit:

samba.sh:Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  killall smbd > /dev/null 2>&1

in the /etc directory I get two hits:

inetd.conf: netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd smbd -s/etc/smb.conf -l/var/log -d0
inetd.conf.bak: netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd smbd -s/etc/smb.conf -l/var/log -d0

But I do not see the specific offending line in either of these. Where else should I look for the init file that would

have the nice command to remove?Ā  Ideas???

Thanks!