Internal data lost ? on a WD TV Live Hub WDBABZ0010BBK

Thank you for your quick reply. Do you know of any way to format it outside the HUB, i,e on PC, are there any tools ? what are the Format (i,e EXT or NTFS or FAT)supported that i can use.

Please suggest

vjpal wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply. Do you know of any way to format it outside the HUB, i,e on PC, are there any tools ? what are the Format (i,e EXT or NTFS or FAT)supported that i can use.

Please suggest

It won’t do you any good to format it outside the Hub. The Hub partitions it as it needs to be partitioned and writes the needed files and folders to the drive. The drive HAS the be FORMATTED while in the Hub. You can take it out and delete the existing partitions but I don’t think that would have any advantage the Hub probably does that before it does most anything else anyway. The only GOOD reason to remove it is to back it up quickly or to try to determine if the drive is, in fact, bad. So don’t worry about how to format it, the Hub does the job. When I did mine I just hooked it up on a USB cable to the PC backed it up and then deleted the partitions. I put it back in the Hub with NO partitions on it. I wanted to KNOW for sure what would happen if a raw drive was installed. Couldn’t get an answer from these forums and just as I thought, the Hub did everything needed. It only figures as what would happen if you had to put in a new drive? Then I used the Hub’s Disk Manager to format it. Don’t over think this job. It’s not all that big of a deal.

I would say you are very helpful with your suggestions !! One thing, when you said you deleted all partitions, what exactly you meant, did you delete everything on the HDD or you used any tool on the PC side to remove all partitions.

Thanks in advance…

pulled out the internal HDD.

did backup of all the data

formated all partitions on internal HDD with NTFS.

connected back to HUB…

HUB recognized it as new Hard drive and reformated it.

now am able to see the internal storage in Disk Manager.

Thanks all for your support.

Glad you got it fixed! Lets hope it stays that way. 

I used windowz disk manager to remove the partitions, not that it makes a difference now but just to have the question answered. 

;) 

Thanks to everyone who posted replies about my problem. Further careful checking has shown that my live Hub is working OK , and it is the attached 500 Gb WD5000AAD storage which is faulty. It is not seen by the Live Hub or when attached to my computer. I think the FAT or partition needs fixing. I passed it to a friend who knows about fixing discs which have gone AWOL .I’m not optimistic that the disc can be made readable without losing the data.

Sorry my enquiry got posted to the WDlive hub forum, It should have gone to the USB disc forum.

I close my dialog for now.

RWT1492