Help... Hub powers up... WD light flashes... then powers itself off. :-(

Good News! I solved this problem. But it will require you to pry open your hub.

Out of desperation, I pry opened my hub to see if I can solve this problem. The first thing I tried is to remove the fan because fan consumes power and this seems to be a power problem, but that didn’t work. I also tried removing the hard drive but that didn’t work too.

One thing I’ve noticed when this problem came up is that the power button is not working so what I tried to do is to disconnect the cable connecting the power button to the mainboard and after turning on my hub, it works. I’ve tried several times to turn on and off my hub and it always works so I think the power button is causing the problem.

If you will see the inside of your hub, you will see the little board that contains the power button is seperated from the mainboard and the little board of the power button is just connected to the mainboard through a cable. Maybe the firmware upgrade causes conflict between the little board of the power button and the mainboard so disconnecting the cable between them solves the problem.

Do this at your own risk and you will be the one responsible if something is damaged in your hub by doing what I said and your warranty may be voided. I just would like to share to you what works for me. Tell us if it works for you.

6 Likes