[GUIDE] Debrick MyBookLive v2.0

Wow that is crazy lol, I would have never guessed it. I will add that info to the guide. Thanks lilmick!

Just ran into another issue and it is on both drives.

Not sure what thread this should be in or even if I should have created another thread for it.

On the dash board, both drives show thier respective sizes correctly (2TB, 3TB) however the mapped network drive on both of them only show that they are a 2Gb drive, this is also shown in the remaining free space in sabnzb too.

From a hunch I booted back off the rescue cd and oped GParted… and confermed it, Both of the drives are using the second ext3 partition…

I think I may have found a clue as to why though when I was going threw your guide for installing sabnzb. My shares folder is not in the same place as yours… It is in the root directory.

#Create a share from the MyBookLive dashboard for your SABnzb downloads

#To login to the SABnzbd dashboard from a browser  yourmybookliveip:8080
#Setup your usenet server information
#Go to Folders
#Temporary Download Folder - /DataVolume/shares/ share you just created for downloads
#Completed Download Folder - /DataVolume/shares/ share you just created for downloads

Mine is not   /DataVolume/shares/ My NZB folder
Mine is just  /shares/ My NZB folder

Any ideas as to how this could have happened or how I should be going about fixing it?

sda4 is actually the datavolume and should be an EXT4 partition and /shares and /DataVolume/shares should both exist. Whatever you add to /shares and /nfs will show up in /DataVolume/shares due to bind mounts

Type df -h in PuTTY and it will show you the actual used and free space on sda4

To see how the mounts are setup, type mount in PuTTY

Lemme know what is says for both drives

As for the mapped shares showing as 2Gb? (is that a typo on your end? Did you mean 2TB?) it may be a WEBDAV issue… Is your main computer hard drive a 2TB?

No, not a typo, it was showing only 2Gb. All good though, I just set it to do a full factory restore last night before going to bed and now it is showing 3Tb. I am surprised, it didn’t delete sabnzb from it, I was exprecting to have to reinstall it. I’m guessing it didn’t set itself up properly the first time, there are a heap of extra folders in there now that weren’t there before and before I didn’t have access to the public shares folder where I do now too.

Had you done a quick factory restore after you imaged the drive? That seemed to do the trick here but I may need to add that a full factory restore may be required in some circumstances

No I didn’t. Is that in your current guide? I missed that.

Yep it has been in the guide since I put it up. Thanks for getting back to me :slight_smile:

Ok, I’m here again.  I used guide 2 to debrick and destroy my old My Book Live 3TB.  I logged on and it showes a size of 992GB instead of 3TB.  I assume this means I need to do the swap file thing.  I renamed the url with the ssh extension, I logged in to the IP address with putty.exe I type the login as root and when it asks for the password I cannot see anything I type showing up on the screen.  If I type in the password any way and hit enter it says access denied.  Any ideas?

I think you downloaded the wrong image? You should have a file callled mybook3tb.img?

https://mega.co.nz/#!FZkASQ6T!P3DMWzaOn62jSrG4SECtIDeJeLYEdmz6w6kR9it8U68

I think you may be correct:smileyvery-happy:  I’ll give it another go.

So I have this unit open in GParted again and I just did the resize/move on the ext4 data partition changing it to the zero remaining and size of 2.7TB size.  Do I still have to debrick with the correct 3TB image?

Nope that way will work too since you used the 1TB image. Don’t forget the quick factory restore after you boot it up.

Got it.  I’m almost done I hope.  Thanks again.

Ok I have the proper partition size but the unit won’t do a diagnostic and it keeps having smartdrive failures.  Seems like network issue but all lights are green on the connection.  I also notice that the new unit has an additional folder called Drive Image which the old debricked one doesn’t have.  I have updated the firmward and done the factory restore.  I seem to be losing contact with the unit occasionally hence the smartdrive failures and the internal server failure when I try to run a diagnostic.  I have an email into WD

It does sound like some bad hardware then

I agree.  I think the controller is messed up.  What I need now is an empty 2 bay NAS unit with a reliable quality controller that I can plop these two 3TB drives into and make myself  a Raid redundant 3TB array.  Something I can count on.  Maybe a non Linux/ubuntu setup so I know the command line structure.  Maybe a Synology DS 213. Of course I need something compatible with these seagate drives.  Any suggestions?

Edit:  I just pulled the HDD out of the case and you could cook eggs on it.  The controller is doing something odd fir sure.  I’m not going to put it back together.  This HDD is too young to die.:wink:

Sounds like we could bbq us up a steak on that thing lol

Synology and QNAP seem to be popular amongst the NAS crowd…

“Sounds like we could bbq us up a steak on that thing lol”

For sure.  Just need some mesquite or hickory chips.:smileyvery-happy:

I’ve not heard of QNAP I’ll check them out too.