[GUIDE] Debrick a MyBookLive DUO

this post saved my drives, i was messing around with the twonky server as the machine was slow. with going back to the old firmware, the machine is back to its original glory.

thank you very much for the detailed , clear instruction

Thank you gor putting this post together. I had a bricked MBLD running Raid1 that was bricked due to a power loss due to a firmware update. By performing the steps in guide 1, I was able to backup my data and correct the firmware with the steps provided. After the drives finished rebuilding, I found all of my data was still entact. WD support was no help for my situation since my MBLD was out of warranty. Hats off to all of the creators and contributers of this post. You saved the day!

Hello,

I have a problem with the guide above. I want to add to my MyBookLive Duo two new 2TB discs and I downloaded the script and the image for the MyBook as mentioned above. Step 1 to 4 ran with no problem. I started the SystemRescueCD and I checked in GPARTED which drive is for the MyBook. I now changed to guide 2. Following commands work for me with no problem:
mkdir /mnt/usb
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
cd /mnt/usb
at command mdadm -S /dev/md0 the terminal tells me that the service was stopped. When I insert command mdadm -S /dev/md2 the terminal tells me that such director doesn’t exist. For command mdadm -S /dev/md3 it tells me the same. What is going wrong here?? The two new discs were formatte din fat32. I tested to go on with starting the script and it ran with no problem. But when I mount the discs into the MyBookLive Duo I can#T go on with the guide.
When the SystemRescueCD is starting there is an error shown at mdadm command. Maybe there is the problem??

Kind regards

Stefan

Little Update
The two 2TB disc are now mounted into the NAS and I can connect to Dashboard. It tells me that the drives were in bad condition. I did a factory reset and the entered into putty and executed the commands. My storage tells me 0TB used of 0TB. When I type swapon it tells me /dev/md2 partition 500544 1285 -1
Do I have a chance to get my Samsung discs to work? What is wrong?

Hi all,

I have tried this guide before when something went wrong during an update and the script worked like a charm

The problem now is that one of the drives (Drive B 2TB WD Green Series) failed as the drive had to many bad blocks.
I bought a replacement which is 2TB WD Blue Series and tried to replace it. I followed everything as Guide 2/3 described but MBL has still red color and I can’t access the Dashboard cause I always get the loading bar saying disk is initializing.

If I place only the old working disk in case A, then I can access the dashboard .
If I place only the new drive in case A, then I get the loading bar again saying disk is initializing.

However I managed to connect through ssh, ran the commans for swap etc as described in guide and also took some stats.

Parted old disk

MyBookLiveDuo:~# parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 2.2
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type ‘help’ to view a list of commands.
(parted) p
Model: ATA WDC WD20EZRZ-60Z (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
3 15.7MB 528MB 513MB linux-swap(v1) primary raid
1 528MB 2576MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
2 2576MB 4624MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
4 4624MB 2000GB 1996GB primary raid

Parted new disk

MyBookLiveDuo:~# parted /dev/sdb
GNU Parted 2.2
Using /dev/sdb
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type ‘help’ to view a list of commands.
(parted) p
Model: ATA WDC WD20EARX-00P (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

3 15.7MB 528MB 513MB linux-swap(v1) primary raid
4 4624MB 2000GB 1996GB primary raid

MD stats

MyBookLiveDuo:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md3 : active linear sda4[0] sdb4[1]
3897995248 blocks super 1.0 0k rounding

md2 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
500672 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sda22 sda13 sdb2[1] sdb1[0]
1999808 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices:

Check swap

MyBookLiveDuo:~# MyBookLiveDuo:~# swapon -s
MyBookLiveDuo:~# Filename Type Size Used Priority
MyBookLiveDuo:~# /dev/md2 partition 500544 1664 -1

Any ideas?

Hello Everyone,
I would appreciate any input from you… I have a My Book Live Duo 6TB in “spanning” mode
I have 2 problems…
1 - I cannot seem to read either of the drive’s contents with DiskInternals in order to access any of my information as complete or usable files (I am very limited in Linux knowledge) and would like to make a backup of whatever information I can get off of the drives, especially about a 1 and 1/2 years of photos of my three daughters. (Waited to long to make another backup). I have a 2 bay SATA dock connected to a laptop via USB that detects the drives without any difficulty. Should I be able to get most of Drive A’s data copied to other drives with DiskInternals Linux Reader? So far I have had no luck…

2- I would like to know if I need to change my approach to debricking these drives… I have followed Guide 1 and all goes perfectly for drive A, I attempted to reinsert the drive after only debricking it (Drive A) and wait for the green light to stop blinking, but over a week later, it still blinked. So I attempted a debrick of both drives (A and B)… Drive A, no problem, Drive B, not so great… I have the script here:

root@sysresccd /root % mkdir /mnt/usb
root@sysresccd /root % mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
root@sysresccd /root % cd /mnt/usb
root@sysresccd /mnt/usb % mdadm -S /dev/md0
mdadm: stopped /dev/md0
root@sysresccd /mnt/usb % mdadm -S /dev/md2
mdadm: stopped /dev/md2
root@sysresccd /mnt/usb % mdadm -S /dev/md3
mdadm: stopped /dev/md3
root@sysresccd /mnt/usb % ./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda

********************** DISK **********************

script will use the following disk:

Model: ATA WDC WD30EZRX-00M (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 3001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Disk Flags:

3 15.7MB 528MB 513MB primary raid
4 4624MB 3001GB 2996GB ext4 primary raid

is this REALLY the disk you want? [y] y

********************** IMAGE **********************

********************** IMPLEMENTATION **********************

everything is now prepared!
device: /dev/sda
image_img: rootfs.img
destroy: false

this is the point of no return, continue? [y] y

mdadm: /dev/sda1 appears to contain an ext2fs file system
size=1999808K mtime=Wed May 3 22:12:27 2017
mdadm: size set to 1999808K
mdadm: creation continuing despite oddities due to --run
mdadm: array /dev/md0 started.
mke2fs 1.43.3 (04-Sep-2016)
/dev/md0 contains a ext3 file system
last mounted on Wed May 3 22:12:27 2017
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
Creating filesystem with 499952 4k blocks and 125184 inodes
Filesystem UUID: 8d1deed0-2321-4ac6-87c4-f1119c81c14c
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912

Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): 0.00% done, 0:00 elapsed.
(0/0/0 errdone
Allocating group tables: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (8192 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

mdadm: added /dev/sda2

synchronize raid… done

copying image to disk…
dd: writing to ‘/dev/md0’: Input/output error
1836073+0 records in
1836072+0 records out
940068864 bytes (940 MB, 897 MiB) copied, 588.46 s, 1.6 MB/s
cp: failed to access ‘/mnt/md0/boot/boot.scr’: Structure needs cleaning
./debrick.sh: line 361: /mnt/md0/etc/nas/service_startup/ssh: No such
file or directory

all done! device should be debricked!

root@sysresccd /mnt/usb %

I have a feeling that Drive B is damaged, especially since the debricking, even though it is unsuccessful based on the amount of data copied, takes about 4 times longer than Drive A.
Anyway, any input would be great, I don’t have access to dashboard and at this point the box will not connect to my router and I can’t get an IP.

1 Like

Similar issue to LordSimonius above. I’ve tried running the debrick script using 3 different versions of the MBLD firmware. I even went as far as to install linux on a spare hard drive instead of going the USB route. When I run the script, I have two things happening that I don’t get… When the script gets to the “IMAGE” section, I get some warnings:

swap.c:12:1: warning: return type defaults to ‘int’ [-Wimplicit-int]
main(int argc, char *argv)
^
swap.c: In function ‘main’:
swap.c:32:9: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘lseek64’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
if (lseek64(fd, offset, 0) < 0LL) {
^
After that, it gets to the “IMPLEMENTATION” section and I get this:

mdadm: /dev/sda1 appears to contain an ext2fs file system
size=1999808K mtime=Fri May 12 12:12:44 2017
mdadm: size set to 1999808K
mdadm: creation continuing despite oddities due to --run
mdadm: array /dev/md0 started.
mke2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
/dev/md0 contains a ext3 file system
last mounted on Fri May 12 12:12:44 2017
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y

I continue. Seems to synchronize raid without errors, but when it gets to the copying image to disk part, I get this:

dd: writing to ‘/dev/md0’: Input/output error
75313+0 records in
75312+0 records out
38559744 bytes (39 MB, 37 MiB) copied, 90.2724 s, 427 kB/s
cp: failed to access ‘/mnt/md0/boot/boot.scr’: Structure needs cleaning
debricker.sh: line 361: /mnt/md0/etc/nas/service_startup/ssh: Structure needs cleaning

I’ve searched and searched. Not confident enough to run fdisk, unless someone here can point me in the right direction. I’ve gotten most of the important data off the drive (a 6TB unit running RAID1)… but, I’d love to be able to get things back up and running without losing everything. I just don’t have enough freespace to copy everything, so I only got what I couldn’t ultimately replace.

No matter which firmware version I use, the script never writes the full image… only 40 to 80 MB. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Would anyone be able to share the 2 virgin images of disk A and B from a Mybook Live Duo. ?
had to replace both disks, (got 2 new WD Green 2tb drives). so no data recovery possible or anything, just need to find 2 virgin image files :slight_smile: (tried the virgin image of a single MBL, which was working, but just gave me 1 drive, so thats not the way to go for a MBLD :slight_smile: )

thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi nfodiz,

I have a bricked MBLD. I have tried to follow your guide to recover the device but have bumped into multiple script execution errors.

I have however successfully loaded a MBL (single, not Duo) virgin disk image onto the device, but of course this is not really what I want.

In your post, you’re suggesting that you have virgin disk images for a MBLD 3 TB which is my case, would you please mind sharing these disk images along with instructions on how to load them onto the devices (I believe an appropriate “dd” instructions shall suffice).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cyrille

Apologies ahead of time if this should be on a different thread.

I have a blue light on start up that turns solid yellow on my MBLD. This thread became my starting point. I followed the suggestion of using Linux Reader. What to do when I open the application is less clear to me.

I took the first “A” drive out of my MBLD and connected it and launched Linux Reader. I was happy to at least see the software acknowledge a device…but being a part of a Raid mirror…it shows various instances (for lack of a better term). I know its a 2T drive…some of the WD drives that show up are for .5T…others very small and the physical drive shows about 1.8T.

Not knowing exactly what to do…ive double clicked on all of them in hopes that all my files would simply be there as if I was in Windows Explorer. None of them open up…some suggest that they are damaged but recoverable.

Specifically…which of the various instances do I target and what do I do to it… Do I have to “mount” it… I care less about the drives and enclosure, they can be expensive paper weights for all I care…I just need to get the pictures of my kids off and into a new place where I’ll back them up so I wont be in this situation again.

So again…I’m looking for keystrokes at the launch of Linux Reader to get my files. I need to rule out that I’m not doing it wrong so I can move on to more costly options.

Also, I see software on the WD site here…are any of those good to try? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

1 Like

Would just like to say a huge THANK YOU for the instructions provided to debrick a WD My Book Live Duo. I had a bit of work trying to read between the lines on a few of them, but I can confirm that Guide 2 above works like a charm!

1 Like

Hello, guys and girls.
I just started with trying to debrick my MBLD, but on first step there is a problem. :sweat:
I had 2x2TB in spanning mode (3.3TB was used before brick).
I’m trying GUIDE 1 and there is NO data in DATAVOLUME folder on both disks. R-Linux and DiskInternals Linux reader shows empty folder.
Should I continue with debricking without backup ?? Would, if debrick goes as is needed, my data be on proper place ?

Trying to debrick my MLBD, but I get this error:

is this REALLY the disk you want? [y] y

********************** IMAGE          **********************

swap.c:12:1: warning: return type defaults to 'int' [-Wimplicit-int]
 main(int argc, char *argv[])
 ^~~~
swap.c: In function 'main':
swap.c:32:9: warning: implicit declaration of function 'lseek64' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
     if (lseek64(fd, offset, 0) < 0LL) {
         ^~~~~~~

********************** IMPLEMENTATION **********************

everything is now prepared!
device:       /dev/sdd
image_img:    rootfs.img
destroy:      false

this is the point of no return, continue? [y]

EDITED:
My HDD was connected from USB HDD docking station. I will try to connect directly to SATA.

1 Like

Hell yeah… I’ve do that >_<’ was debricked mbld 6TB (WITH DATA SAFE) (After typical problems, which was made by my own - “apt-get update” - here i wish to make many many curses =) to our internet bloggers and rewhriters, who spamm not working and dangerous informetion about transmission installing).
after two days of brainf… it’s totally work, so - was used debrick.sk, not once, many times on A, and at last on my own fate - on b. main problem was - noone didn’t remember, how many space was on nas - 6/3 Tb - raid0 linear, or raid1 mirror, also at win7 it wasn’t openable, only raid1 sda[1,2] for system.
i’ve learn how to use linux Oo" , how to work with raid’s…
so - what can i say in log:

1. hddA were connected to sata pc directly, linux mint were installed for most properly debrick - (it was a mistake at the end…)
  2. was trying to mount sdb4 for taking data out but… in the end, at my feelings, it brake volume partitions, raid links, and some other things, but before - as i remember, i’ve try to make debrick.sh from linux mint os directly… i’ve think that’s mistake, i’m sorry - didn’t read all thread…
  3. at the end, when i’m look at hhdB data rive - sdb3,4 - it show linear raid type, so i’ve throw all my nervous and try to do script via mint OS
    so - i’d like to say, that live CD is not so nessesary - you may put debrick.sk & rootfs,img in main directory of usb, and proper command for debrick via GUIDE 1 would be like same
    (or in usb type the path would be like** /cdrom/debrick.sh /cdrom/rootfs.img /dev/sda** ):
    $sudo -i
    # fdisk -l
    #bash /home/abyss/debrick.sh /home/abyss/rootfs.img /dev/sdb
    y…y…y… end
  4. in the end i’ve put down hddB to 2nd slot of nsa, and start mbld (using rhouter and static ip, attached before (mabe in win it would be seen automatically)),
    I’ve try to connect to web interface, and all become to work O_o" it was unexpected… but was a problem - wasn’t mounted data of storage, it were fixed via inserting hddA in mbld…
    and FINALLY - “IT’S ALIVE, ALLIVE” =)

i.t.e. : even if you fail restoration of first drive, just try to do script to second, but that was tryed on raid0 - linear massive - 3+3=6 total GB.
p.s. sorry for my bad&ugly english, but that forum really help me, so i’ve also try to help to anyone with the same problem…

to pTomic - same as in my case, as i knew - it’s a linear raid0 massive, which can’t work alone - first hdd without second, so yes, i think it would work after, if debrick would done well.

2 Likes

I was successful in debricking MBLD. All data is here. But I can’t upgrade to the latest firmware (Firmware Version 02.43.10 - 048 (6/22/2015)).
And one more question, do I need to reinstall Twonky media server and Transmission ?

EDITED: Twonky and Transmission is reinstalled. Now firmware is only problem.

I am not sure why, but I ended up on connecting both drives to a windows 10 machine and running ZAR (I got it from here https://www.z-a-recovery.com).

Click here to see the ZAR reports

As you can see on the screenshots below It found 3 RAIDs

• 1 Span 8 TB (this is the one I am interested on recovering the data from)
  • 1 RAID 1 490 MB
  • 1 RAID 1 2 GB

I should have mentioned I ran that debrick process found Debricking Script for My Book Live Duo - Hacking WD MyBook World Ed because I read somewhere somebody was able to debrick and get the data on a RAID0 device. There may have been the reason why there are those 2 RAID 1.

Well, back to ZAR. As you can se all my data is there. Here are some questions:

• Is there a way to debrick the device without losing that data? How can I do that?
  • If I can’t debrick it, how can I mount that span/RAID0 using UBUNTU so that I don’t have to pay for the ZAR software to recover the data?
  • If I can’t debrick, then I will need a kind of temp transfer storage. I have a second MBLD 8TB running RAID 1. Can I get one the disks (A or B), format it as NTFS and use it to help transfer the data OUT of the bricked device and back to it after debricking and put it back on the second MBLD where it is right now? Will I have any problem to add it back or does it rebuild the RAID 1 automatically?

Really need your help, guys!
Thanks

As i can see (i’m not a professional in linux, but when was my MBLD debricked…) via zar-rep you have RAID 0 data massive on A&B disks, in my case - linux mint given’t me an access to properly mount part of disk with data.
SO - be sure, that you have RIAD1 data, usually sda1&sda2 make Raid1 md, and sda3-sdb3 make an raid oO?, and sda4-sdb4 make data RAID0 massive, so i mean that in report, it show 3.71Tb each, in every hdd, and in the end - 3.71+3.71=7.42TB RAID 0 MBLD Capablity mbld can work in raid 0 & raid 1 via software select in web interface, so, i’ve same problem, when thinking, that my storage was in RAID 1. even mountig two drive’s in linux automatic mode - wasn’t work well. in web so many … ugly… topics about raid… but exactly - remember that software and hardware raid are different, and raid 0 - is linear massive, and raid 1 - is mirrowed massive.
All that i’ve know - i whrote.
In the end - read START OF THAT TOPIC, about three way of debricking, it’s work, in my case all data was saved, after ‘-apt get update’. and when you would make script - do it only with one mounted hdd, coz linked md part’s can make an error’s in script.
Also - i think if any wouldn’t help you… if, then you can try to mount via hands, via mdadm and recreating a massive, but it would’be not easy.

thx

I’ve bought a license for ZAR x and was able to extract all the data for my bricked raid0 disks (let me know if you want some how-to since I’ve documented everything). I’ve ran the derrick process now I get the NAS up and running again, in RAID0.

I am copying the data I’ve extracted back to to the NAS using the Files program in UBUNTU. The HDs which the data is are connected to the UBUNTU machine’s SATA interface. The machine running UBUNTU and the NAS are connected to an isolated (no internet connection, no wi-fi enabled, no other device connected to it) Apple Airport Extreme with CAT6 cables. The best data transfer I get is 38 MB/sec.

Siince it is lots of data (almost 8 TB) I need to get better data transfers, otherwise this thing will take me a week long to finish. So here is the question: is there a way to mount the now OK raid0 drivers in the UBUNTU machine so that I can copy the data TO IT from HD to HD?

Thanks.

I have error same you now.

Note & Update : Error but OK and Now I already debrick MBLD :slight_smile:

Hi,
First of all thanks for this wonderful documentation which also saved me and now I have my MBLD 3TB in RAID 1 configuration up and running and working.
But I am facing an issue. I am not able to copy any file which size is bigger then 2GB I tried it using WD software or normal Windows sharing but it fails.
Any suggestions