Firmware 2.02.32 Not playing all mp4 files

MikeyDog62 wrote:

odd but cool.

It’s neither odd nor cool but simply means your tool remuxed the MP4 without whatever settings is currently throwing off the WDTV.

Im using the 4K Video Downloader to download Astronomy programs from YouTube.

I can choose to download in .mp4 or .MKV

I have made a lot of download in .mp4 from Spacerip and WD have played them all.

EXEPT for Rivers of Energy inside the Sun from 17. Juli. 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CjMgVGYHUY

I have both the old WD and the new WD TV Player, and neither will play .mp4 nor MKV.

I have tried ripping the film with Firefox, but they still wont play .mp4

I will attemt to roll back firmware, but this is wierd.

_ “Rivers of Energy inside the Sun” _    plays fine on all my WDTV Media Players …

But remember … All WDTV Media Players only support a Maximum Resolution of  1920x1080

So, in 4k Video Downloader… select   1080p

4K and 2K is NOT supported on any current WDTV Media Player  (and won’t be … the sigma gpu processor does not decode resolutions higher than 1080p)

1 Like

Thx, ill try that first.

JABADABADUUU it worked.

Thx very much.

you’re welcome  :smiley:

p.s  i really like 4K Video Downloader as well … great software, been using it for a while now :smiley:

4K downloader is an amazing tool.

I have drawn an Amiga musik module (.mod) from Youtube in Mp3 with the program.

And are playing it in my car.

well, i thought it was odd and i thought it was cool that it worked…not all of us are “in to it” some of us are just common users…

I too am experiencing this issue after upgrading to firmware version 2.02.32. This thread is more than a year old. No new firmware has been developed to correct this issue. I have been waiting as I’m sure many others have been for a fix. What is the delay in correcting the problem. There have been problems with every generation of the WD TV Live series of devices and it always seems that WD would rather sell its customers a new generation device than to fix the thousands of devices in the hands of loyal customers. I have owned all 3 generations of this device and have put up with all their problems. I have upgraded to newer generations in hopes of obtaining a device that delivered what it said it could. This is the last WD streaming device I will buy. If WD cannot deliver a worthwhile product, then I as a consumer will need to find another MFG who will. If WD does not plan to address this particular issue, just be responsible enought to tell your customer base your intentions, instead of leading them to believe that you are working to solve their problems. After all 1+ years is long enough to fix any software issue. I should know, I’ve been in the industry for over 30 years. However, its not my responsibility to investigate and correct WD’s software issues. That’s what your developers get paid for.

Enough Said!

Toyman57

I’ve reverted to the previous firmware version.

The latest firmware kept crashing/freezing my box (even if I was doing nothng).

I had to unplug it and put it back in to make it work after that.

Dunno if my refurb unit from Amazon was defective or not but the previous firmware 2.01.86 fixed the crashing issue for me.

After more than a year, we should assume there will never ever be another *official* firmware release for us, it’s my assumption at least.

Same situation as me and so many others, UseTheForce. My TV Live was freezing and getting extremely sluggish and unresponsive after short use. It took ages to connect to my NAS and even longer to navigate around, unless I cold rebooted it (unplug the cable). Ridiculous!

Then I saw this thread, and the others here. Downgraded to the previous FW and… all solved!

WD, what are you playing at? Sort yourselves out. You can’t just release a FW that effectively kills your product and then go totally silent on the issue, with no sign of a fix on the horizon. Unacceptable!

And to anyone wondering, when you downgrade the FW you don’t need to re-do all your settings, so just do it and at least the device will be somewhat usable.

The sad fact is that the WD Live is still currently one of the very best options for a flexible network media player with good legacy codec support, for the price. I’m struggling to actually find a viable alternative that isn’t either clunky or expensive or within a walled garden (ATV).

I used 2.02.32 for months and did not experience any issues except for that some mp4-files wouldn’t play. I found that out by coincidence when I put some “new” mp4-files on my NAS to watch them on TV. Reading this thread made me speechless because of the non-reactions of WD. What’s up with them? I would think of something like “immediate” reaction in case of problems with a file format would be appropriate. Well, nice dream…
Downgrading all my WD Live’s solved the issue for me as well.

Also having this problem
I have a WD TV Live Streaming, D-Link NAS, won’t play certain MP4 files. Tried everything @duuri did except instead of a factory reset i did a reset that left my passwords alone. went through and deleted almost every file that started with . except a few the nas itself uses (it runs linux). there was no .wd_tv file ._ are mac resource files but not required

I also tried retagging with a tagger but no luck there.

had to drop back to the previous firmware and this is concerning because the previous firmware presents itself as version 4, being that this media player is long in the tooth and there are many less expensive ones out there (plus newer generations) I don’t see WD providing updates. :frowning: Also a year and a half since the last update…

FYI: renaming mp4’s to mpg might work

Tried renaming the file type, no change. The system is now prompting me to go to the latest firmware which is the problematic version.
My dad has the same model and he started having the same problem.

The problem was started in August, 2014. We are in 2016 and till now WD have made NOTHING to set it up :frowning:

Agreed,
How do we get WD to fix this issue and do a firmware upgrade that will solve the issue?

I have firmware 2.03.20, but there is no point making the effort to upgrade the firmware based on this thread… The WD TV Live is still my only way of playing mp4 files with my Samsung TV Le32B550A5W.

I just tested 3 mp4s and it plays 1 of them only and does not recognise the other 2.

It’s 2021 now and clearly this issue will never be fixed as Samsung wants us to buy newer TVs instead of fixing bugs and reusing old kit :frowning:

Yours in frustration & disappointment.

Tom.