Drive Becomes Un-Accessible After short use

WD support have been helpful and responsive? This has been going on for over 6 months and WD has done nothing about it? I am a normal person with out programming experience. How is someone like supposed to be able to disable Twonky and mionet as explained in post 45? Why should I spend 3 hundred dollars for something I have to disable features to get to work? Come on WD! Do something about this already! This like dealing with Apple!!!

The problem is I don’t know what to think about this. I have enough experience with networks i understand how the things work on them but this really lock me down. I don’t know to much linux but I’m not a stranger to it. I don’t written yet to WD support but i sent the thing back to service dealer and they told me the WDMBWE work fine for them. Maybe i will open the case, get the HDD  and buy another NAS this time will not be a WD.

I just received my NAS drive yesterday and low and behold I to am having problems staying connected. Called WD support today and they wanted to ship me two new hard drives to replace inside the box. Tried explaining to them the hard drives work fine the network connectivity is sporadic. He says call back Monday. Whatever.

This is frustrating. Spending my Saturday screwing around with a product that doesn’t work out of the box. I’ve disabled mionet and have been backing up for two hours with no disconnect yet. I have the latest firmware but when I click the check for updates button I get “connection refused”. Not sure why that is happening.

WD I’m just a guy at home trying to back up multiple computers. Nothing fancy or out of the ordinary. Why do you put customers through this?

Hi guys,

I’m afraid that I too am having the same problem. I’m using uTorrent (downloads to local folder then copies to WDMBWE, WHEN it’s working :frowning: ) on a media center PC, which also runs XBMC. I’ve found a correlation in when I start up my laptop as to when the drive fails. I’m running a white light 2, 2TB model out of a 10/100 switch connected to a Linksys WRT54GL running custom firmware.

The issue, however, has been happening long before I got the eeePC (laptop that when I connect wirelessly the drive fails) and even with my last WDMBWE (1TB which I sent for RMA due to drive failure). Honestly I don’t know why I stay with WD, sure they sent me a 2TB to replace it, but I mean, by the time I fill it with 2TB of data it’ll just fail on me anyway! I’ve had issues with WD over the years, and yet I keep buying them. Fool.

Back to the problem at hand. I don’t know whether it responds to ping, I actually haven’t tried that yet, and my housemate is watching the Top Gear Bolivia Special on the XBMC PC and don’t want to interrupt it.

Essentially I wanted to speak up and say there’s ANOTHER person having the problem, and that I’ll try hard-disabling mionet as well, having tried everything else (disabling power-saving, static/dynamic IP, Cooling it the old fashioned way) etc etc.

I’ll post back here if I have any luck!

PS: I realise this sounds like I have an IP conflict with my eeePC but I definitely don’t. The router assigns a dynamic (DHCP) IP to my eee of >192.168.1.50 where the WDMBWE has 192.168.1.5

Wish me luck!

Woo! I don’t want to be pre-emptively celebrating, but I’ve restarted said eeePC 3 times and the video’s being watched on the media center have not been interrupted!

This is the longest the drive has been up and running consecutively (under use) in quite a while!

Thanks guys, the SSH mionet removal worked a charm so far :slight_smile: (That said it turns out since I got the 2TB back I was accidentally running the service through the WebUI anyway!)

dzentai wrote:

So far it is still working! :slight_smile:

Small guide on howto disable these services (only for latest MyBook World Edition II White version):

In the web configuration switch to Advanced Mode, then on the System tab using the Advanced button check the SSH Access checkbox on the top of the page, then Submit.

Using Putty or any other SSH client connect to your NAS’s IP address, and log in using “root” as username, and “welc0me” as password!

Now you are inside your NAS.

Type the following on the prompt (this will move/save the startup scripts to the /root/ folder and disable running of mionet main program):

mv  /etc/init.d/S9M_mionet  /root/

mv  /etc/init.d/S97twonkyserver  /root/

chmod -x /usr/mionet/bin/cvm

then reboot your NAS with

reboot

Disable all other unused services in the web configuration to free up some more RAM and make your NAS more stable.

Can you tell me what command(s) I would use to reverse the twonkyserver portion of these commands?

Thanks.

I don’t know, if still somebody searches for a solution. I found this thread but the hints didn’t work for me.

My problem was, that I couldn’t connect to the public folder on the MyBook from my macs. After some furthor search I found the solution in this   forum

In Short: I removed the .AppleD* directories via ssh in the public directory and it worked!

Hope, that helps someone.

André

I would also like to know how to get twonkyserver back…

Thanks

For those who would like to switch things back. Again SSH into your router, and use the following commands: mv /root/S97twonkyserver /etc/init.d/ For mionet: mv /root/S9M_mionet /etc/init.d/ chmod +x /usr/mionet/bin/cvm Finally reboot, and don’t forget to switch things back in the web GUI as well. Or if something went really wrong, you could “upgrade” the firmware with the current release.

Hi Everyone,

just wanted to let everyone know that i read all of this thread posts because i experienced the not responding but pinging unit. even though i completed the steps to disable the mionet, it was not actually disabled. only after i renamed the cvm file in /usr/mionet/bin/ directory and rebooted the unit, the mionet service did not started with the unit.

now, after doing that, i will watch the unit to see if anything will get better. after i followed the suggested steps of disabling the unit, it did work for a few days without a problem and after a few days it went down again (still answering ping requests).

if only it had a cron service i would schedule it to restart daily.

Hope it helped someone,

Guy

This is really annoying about the dlna (twonky server) thing! Like all of you my drive also becomes un-accessible after some time if I don’t disable twonky server and mionet. That mionet feature, I can be without, but the dlna feature was the reason I chose this particular NAS… However, I’m very pleased to at least be able to use this piece of ■■■■ because of this tweak dzentai made, many thanks for that one! For now, I guess we just have to wait for a firmware update… :frowning:

Hey guys,

I have the world I, and I was having the same problem, after some time of use the blue light starts blinking, the problem is the temperature, I solve the problem just putting a small fan (like the ones inside the PC power supplies) blowing close to the HD, and after that the hard drive ran without the annoying blinking to come forever, the fan is a 12V but I just used 5V from an unused cellphone charger.

Hope this solve your problems.

Regards.

i have had the same problems mentioned in this thread since i bought this piece of junk. western digital tech support is too busy hitting each other with rubber bands. bump this thread each day until they update and fix firmware.

Hi,

I usually tend to like WD products, but lately found out that they are not as good making the software to the products as they are to make the hardware. WD disks are good and reliable.

I have nearly same issue as you all on this thread. However what happens for me is that after some time when I copy files to the drive, suddently my security settings changes, so that I have readonly access. I can stille watch files, but can’t write anything to the drive. I have to shut it down and start it up again, and the it works.

I am convinced that this is a firmware/software problem, and only WD can fix it.

If it isn’t fixed soon, I will buy a NAS server and move the wd disks to that unit instead :frowning:

Questions:

1. Are you using the Mac OSX, or a Windows OS?

2. What is “Mionet”?

Just wondering…i just bought the drive, and it’s not encouraging to see people having these kinds of issues.  I’d kinda like to know what I may be running into…

Thanks,

I also have this problem after a couple hours my drive becomes un-accessible and i have to power it off/on

Weird thing is though it still pings ? i cant browse the shares , connect to web interface , drive doesnt show in WD discovery tool

This seems to be the problem

MyBookWorld daemon.info init: Starting pid 14831, console /dev/null: ‘/usr/bin/killall’

so whats the fix disable Mionet and Twonky ?

I tried to disable Mionet but not Twonky. At first I thought that just shutting the 1 app down was enough, lasted for 2 or 3 days, but after that, back to square 1 of no response other than the ability to ping.

Strongly considering going with a Seagate BlackArmor instead

I guess this twonky stuff is a Windows thing.  Used with Mac OSX, it seems to work very reliably with no issues so far.  (Only posting this for any worried Mac users out there.)

I turned off Twonky and Mionet via Putty and that seems to have done the job my drive has been rock solid for 3 days and hasnt become un-accessible

Western Digital need to sort this out ASAP whats the point in the drive if you cant use Twonky / Mionet ?

can you tell me HOW you disabled Twonky  with putty? (ssh noob here, played around with it couple of times but definitly still a noob in that field…)

EDIT: Sorry, there was a mini howto allready present in this thread…