Do these external hard drives work with the WD TV Media Player Live?

The “Allocation Size” used by Windows when it formats has nothing to do with how the data is stored on the physical disc, per se.  Unless you’re using an “Advanced Format” disc, or something like that, basically all hard drives store the data in the same 512-byte sectors on the disc.

What the “Allocation Size” is is the smallest amount of space on the disc that Windows will use for each file.  If you have a one-byte file, it will still “use up” 4096 bytes of disc space if the disc is formatted with 4k allocation units (i.e. it will use 8 of the 512-byte disc sectors to store that one byte).

Since your files will never be a number of bytes equal to an even number of allocation units, on average you “waste” half of an allocation unit per file stored – some will spill over a few bytes into the next allocation unit, and some will be a few bytes short of full.

If you have nothing but small files, then yes, larger allocation units are a problem, because you are using 4k (or 8k, or 16k or 32k) worth of disk space to store each 30-byte file, and most of your HD space will end up being “unusable”.

But using the small allocation units doesn’t necessarily hinder large files to the same extent as large units does with small files.  You still end up “wasting” less disc space with small units… but you do end up with larger File Allocation Tables for the OS to sort through.

So you won’t be “hurting” your drive to use 512-byte allocation units and large media files. (But you _ would _ be wasting a whole bunch of space to use large allocation units with small files.)

Lol - the Seagate drive can’t be formatted with 512 byte sectors! A long, harsh and painful lesson has been learned here - this HDD is not a good bit of kit to get if you want to use it with the WD TV player! Another poster on a different thread has mentioned partitioning the drive works. I’ll give that a go and see if it works…

Ok i tried several things now…

Quick formatted with 4k allocation size - Some files were created… but i don’t have them anymore

Full formatted with standard allocation size - Some files were created… and her they are…

The first one is “uniondb.cas” size: 176 KB

2nd one: “wdtv.cas” size: 27KB

3rd one: “wdtv.cas.md5” Size: 1KB

Does this help you?? Can anyone tell me why my WD Elements 2 TB hd is not working on my WD TV Live??

It really annoys me that someone is producing two products which that should be working together isn’t working together…

Confirmed that the WD DE 2TB doesn’t work… MyBook 1TB does, the DE 2TB does not work on the PS3 either.

Anyone able to link me a n00b guide on how to make a conversion format thing?

Don’t have the space to be able to do a reformat

Going to test and see if I can share it from my PC via network… should work I think but would rather have a proper fix ofc :stuck_out_tongue:

Yup works fine via network… tho yea Annoying.

Solution to my problems has been found…

I contacted the WD phone support, and this is the remedy to all theese problems:

1. Go to WD Support site: http://support.wdc.com/

2. On the right side you can search on a keyword in the knowledgebase, search for 940

3. Download the tool advised and write Zeros to your entire disk

4. Search again for 3876 in the knowledgebase and download the tool used to Quick format your disk (Windows XP cannot format this)

5. After formatting copy contents to your disk, and test it with the WD TV Live forum…

This helped in my case… now i was able to view the contents on the disk…

That first step of writing zeroes seems superfluous to me, but who knows…

The writing of Zero’s is a low level formatting… you empty everything on the disk… or actully you replace them with FF values which is equal to Zero…

I know WHAT it does, I just don’t see how it could have any effect on the usability of the system…