Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

duncan2015 wrote:

I test with hdparm -y /dev/sda, my hdd enter standby mode at once, however it wake up a few seconds later, is it normal ?> I have installed ramlog, do i have to modified samba start file and ramlog file ? How to do it ?> Thx

In the Samba configuration file located at /etc/samba/smb.conf under the server global section it should have a log entry:

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

Make sure ramlog is running with

/etc/init.d/ramlog status

I had to add an entry to /etc/rc.init to restart ramlog because the system tries to rotate its logs until the date is set. This is because the My Cloud does not have a hardware clock.

The disk should not spin up again after just a few seconds. Use the second script which I called recent and follow the instructions on this page: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Clean-debian-and-OpenMediaVault-on-WDMyCloud/td-p/785505/page/36 to see what is being written to the disk.

Scooby-2 wrote:> This is because the My Cloud does not have a hardware clock.> * * *

fake-hwclock already installed in my firmware.

Spindown of HDD work great in CleanDebian. For OMV need more tuning (Disable or modify all rrdtool, bootlogd and other statistics daemons)

Fox_exe wrote:> fake-hwclock already installed in my firmware.

Spindown of HDD work great in CleanDebian. For OMV need more tuning (Disable or modify all rrdtool, bootlogd and other statistics daemons)

fake-hw clock writes to /etc/fake-hwclock.data and this spins up the disk. I changed the ‘FILE’ environment variable, which sets the location of the file that gets written, to change it to /var. However it didn’t work (for me). How do you change it? (I couldn’t, which is why I disabled it and installed ntpdate instead).

Go to crontab and change update rate to once per 24h (Its enaught for stable work)

Also change all other cron jobs to same time (For spiup disk once in a day).

… Better way: add check: If disk in sleep mode - skip all cronjobs and run it when disk spinup (Need some coding…)

In general “Red” disks were developed for work 24/7 and frequent spiup/spidown are contraindicated to them.

I start from begining with omv1.0.12.

Everythings works fine, and i made it working with OMV updated to 1.13 and Owncloud to 8.0

Can someone give me a smb.conf tu update mine, because my samba is very slow!

Thanks!

Hi,

sorry to ask again:

please would re-running the install script for OMV, on a WDMyCloud already running OMV, perform a new/clean installation without messing with the partitions (I mean without creating new useless one)?

No data to be saved in my case, I’d just like to restart from scratch.

Many thanks for patience

Just for lolz:  Clean debian with Page size=64kb

Its good base for next step - recompile OMV with PageSize=64k (I think its get ~10-30% speed in all applications)

Also i fix HDD spindown - now its works as well.

But now - im update OMV to latest version and fix some issues (sleep mode/hdd spindown, packages dependencies, iscsi-target support etc).

What is the default root directory of nginx ?

/usr/share/nginx/www ?

I put index.htm in /usr/share/nginx/www, but cannot display, browser say file not found.

Thx

/var/www like apache.

See in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf or /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default (Or similar)

Hi, torstefi!

I too stupidly tried to upgrade to jessie and bricked the MyCloud.  Could you provide step-by-step instructions on how you managed to unbricked it?

torstefi wrote:

Yes! Green light!

Looks like I have to compile my own kernel to get anything newer than 3.2?

Hi @ all:

can I install with the guide from post 1 and get an fully functional OMV, where I can install owncloud and miniDLNA? I use Windows Phone and the wd2go app ist really bad, so Iam searching for a way to install owncloud in my cloud 2tb to use the much better owncloud app for windows phone.

And the other question is, can I get back to “normal” WD Firmware after installing the OMV?

I know these quetions were asked in this thread, but I don’t know if the answers are the same, cause there seemed to be many changes in the guide and software Fox_exe posted.

Greetings from Germany

Stephan

Fox_exe wrote:

/var/www like apache.

See in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf or /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default (Or similar)

My /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default

server {
#listen 80; ## listen for ipv4; this line is default and implied
#listen [::]:80 default_server ipv6only=on; ## listen for ipv6

root /usr/share/nginx/www;
index index.html index.htm;

Make site accessible from http://localhost/

server_name localhost;

location / {

First attempt to serve request as file, then

as directory, then fall back to displaying a 404.

try_files $uri $uri/ /index.html;

Uncomment to enable naxsi on this location

include /etc/nginx/naxsi.rules

}

Is /usr/share/nginx/www  my web server directory.

I put index.html in /usr/share/nginx/www and then go http://ip in my web broswer, it shows file not found.

Whatis going wrong.

@Trisman

Trisman wrote:

can I install with the guide from post 1 and get an fully functional OMV, where I can install owncloud and miniDLNA? I use Windows Phone and the wd2go app ist really bad, so Iam searching for a way to install owncloud in my cloud 2tb to use the much better owncloud app for windows phone.

And the other question is, can I get back to “normal” WD Firmware after installing the OMV?

I know these quetions were asked in this thread, but I don’t know if the answers are the same, cause there seemed to be many changes in the guide and software Fox_exe posted.

Greetings from Germany

Stephan

I installed just Clean Debian after reading that Fox_exe keeps the instructions on the initial post updated. Brilliant work from him. So the first answer is yes, The second part - about returning to “normal” (if that’s what you want to call it) WD Firmware, that’s a yes too. I can’t see why you would want to, though.

Greetings from Spain

Never Mind that Post. I solved the problem myself.

The installer startet, but the connection got lost, now I have got a bricked devise… :cry:

the_solipsist wrote:

Hi, torstefi!

I too stupidly tried to upgrade to jessie and bricked the MyCloud.  Could you provide step-by-step instructions on how you managed to unbricked it?

torstefi wrote:

Yes! Green light!

Looks like I have to compile my own kernel to get anything newer than 3.2?

Sorry, I can’t, I’m a bit of a linux n00b myself, but here’s roughly what I did. Don’t blame me if you make it worse:

There’s unbricking instructions in Fox_exe’s google drive. It’s linked to in the first post. Look at the instructions in ‘Replace HDD - English.txt’ from ‘8-2’ and forward (I didn’t follow all of the instructions exactly, obviously, as the partitioning and formatting was already done).

I pried open my myCloud. If you’re carefull, I *think* you can slide the white cover forward and off without breaking anything. I did break some clips.

I hooked up the disk to a computer. Pay careful attention to device names!  I did the thing with setting up the raid. I downloaded ‘original_v3.04.01-230.tar.gz’, extracted, and then I dd’d the backup images to the proper devices (be careful with dd!). Then i put the myCloud back together, and powered it up. I did an update, just to be sure everything was back to normal.

Do this at your own risk.

Do i have to install clean debian first then omv or just omv?

lime4x4 wrote:

Do i have to install clean debian first then omv or just omv?

From post 1 you have 2 options - 

OMV v1.0.23 : Download!

OMV v1.12 : Download! (Testing)

I’d go for the first if I were you but Fox_exe knows what he’s doing! The images are Debian with OMV included.

well like usual i managed to screw it up…lol I did the clean debian install then ran the /run_me_after_reboot.sh which took 1.5 hours to complete. Now i lost access to the data that was there and when i click on the media server on my tvit just brings up a bunch of movies that are in russian. Can no longer see the drive on the network now either

also if i run cd /DataVolume/Shares/Public in a ssh window i get -bash no such file or directory

lime4x4 wrote:

well like usual i managed to screw it up…lol I did the clean debian install then ran the /run_me_after_reboot.sh which took 1.5 hours to complete. Now i lost access to the data that was there and when i click on the media server on my tvit just brings up a bunch of movies that are in russian. Can no longer see the drive on the network now either

run_me_after_reboot.sh should take less than a minute. Also, from clean Debian you will need to set up NFS or Samba so that your shares are visible on the network. There’s loads of earlier posts about setting up Samba. HTH