Can not longer access mybooklive/UI/#

OK, well i’m a little late with this but here it is,

Last friday I called WD tech support, and gave them my case number.  Went through the usuall rigamaroll, (which this guy was much better than the first guy I talked to a few days before), and was then escalated to 2nd level support.  2nd level support basically said “we know of this issue and we’re looking for some of these bricked drives so we can determine what is wrong with them” and that WD was willing to replace my bricked drive with a refurbished one, to which I said, that I had bought and paid for a new MBL, and that refurbished wasn’t acceptable…  This banter went on for a few minutes, and after he checked with his manager, he came back with, since your dirve isn’t that old (bought in Sept or Oct 2011), that they would refund my money for the drive, after I sent the drive in with a copy of a sales recipt.   After reading the email with the details of the refund I decided to keep the drive, as it would take up to 3 weeks for a refund after WD received the drive, plus it had all my personal data on it anyways…

Long story short, I openned it up and dericked it myself, thanks to ubuntu (which I never previously used) and http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-368098/debricking-script-that-can-keep-data

…  But I’m still not happy about a legit WD firmware update bricking my drive…  Needless to say… SSH is now enabled…  Now if I can stop that green LED from constantly flashing and getting the unit to sleep like it did previously…

Got the 1 TB MyBook Live and updated to the latest firmware last night and ever since I’m having the same trouble as everyone else. Was really wanting the updated firmware so I could use wd2go instead of mionet.

I bought my MBL on newegg less than a month ago.

So frustrating.

Probably just going to wait and see if WD comes up with a fix since so many are having the same problem.

I Have the same problem, but…How do we to update the firmware if we can’t access to the web UI???

Hello, all

I have been suffering the same issue as it is commented here. I could not access MBL using the Dashboard.

But finally I got to solve it! I include here what I did:

1. The files  /var/www/Admin/webapp/config/dynamicconfig.ini and  /var/www/Admin/webapp/config/dynamicconfig.ini_safe were empty.

2. I followed the link below to recreate the config for these files:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/About-MBL-not-going-to-sleep-log-files-filling-system-partition/td-p/322457/page/2

Basically something similar to:

SUBDOMAIN=“”
DEVICEID=“88437”
DEVICEAUTH=“a6c5dd2cf4c792caa9be27199f018629”
EXTERNAL_IP=“”
EXTERNAL_PORT=“”
EXTERNAL_SSL_PORT=“443”
INTERNAL_IP=“10.0.1.2”
INTERNAL_PORT=“80”
DEVICE_SSL_PORT=“443”
REMOTEACCESS=“TRUE”
COMMUNICATION_STATUS=“relayed”
DEFAULT_PORTS_ONLY=“FALSE”
MANUAL_PORT_FORWARD=“FALSE”
MANUAL_EXTERNAL_ROUTER_IP=“”

TOTAL_SETTINGS=“17”
MANUAL_EXTERNAL_HTTP_PORT=“80”
MANUAL_EXTERNAL_HTTPS_PORT=“443”

Do not forget to include any line, specially the lastest lines. 

1. Reboot the MBL

And that’s all!! Enjoy the Dashboard!!

That’s what I found out. Also what was found out is that /etc/hosts can also ended up getting corrupted and that also caused problems.

Western Digital are aware of this but looking at the length of time it’s taking to release another firmware update, I guess they are having issues identifying and fixing the problem(s).

I also have the same problem, after updating the firmware i can not login to the UI.

Please help

A friend brought to me a 3Tb MBL from USA to Brazil. I plugged on router, I accessed the UI… and the loading process when menu items are clicked was very slow. An alert of firmware upgrade was popping every time I entered on UI. “Well, is an upgrade. Lets do it!”. Downloaded, installed, rebooted and then nothing. UI gone, the storage gone. Unplug the network cable, wait, turnoff and turn on plugged on network. Blue led, “white” led, blink green led… and no UI. Reset pressed for 5 seconds, turnoff… and all the same thing again.

Accessing the \mybooklive\ is ok. Just this.

SSH, by default, is disable. deep breath

Time to get deeper. Time to “telnet  mybooklive  80”.

First request is ok and it was expected.

Sent:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: mybooklive
Connection: close

Received:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:59:25 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:59:26 GMT
ETag: W/"c30c-e1-4a40c24b13a40"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 225
X-Orion-Version: 1.2
Content-Type: text/html
<html>
<head></head>
<body>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
window.location = "/UI";
//-->
</script>
</body>
</html>

Going forward…

Sent:

GET /UI HTTP/1.1

Received:

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 02:00:58 GMT
Content-Length: 229
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>301 Moved Permanently</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Moved Permanently</h1>
<p>The document has moved <a href="http://mybooklive/UI/">here</a>.</p>
</body></html>

Ops! I’m trying to access /UI and it’s saying itself is moved to /UI.

Well, seeing some more suggestions, let try /UI/ssh.

Sent:

GET /UI/ssh HTTP/1.1

Received:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 02:03:40 GMT
Set-Cookie: PHPSESSID=11qhp84lr3qdfp02at3stmgu23; path=/; HttpOnly
Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
Pragma: no-cache
Set-Cookie: CAKEPHP=11qhp84lr3qdfp02at3stmgu23; path=/UI; HttpOnly
X-Orion-Version: 1.2
Content-Length: 1
Content-Type: text/html

I don’t know (and don’t even tried) what is this unique character returned. So, no ssh.

Tony or Bill, 4 month passed from the start of this thread and NO ONE accepted receive a refurbished MBL? If that is a know issue and you can’t reproduce that on your labs, it’s time to try to get, at least, ONE with that problem and give a new MBL (I’m not talking about me! I’m too far!).

I know my hands are tied, may be I’ll use it as only a public shared directory on my network. I’m not sure yet… just thinking about that.

These are the things that happened to me too. I never got a chance to upgrade the firmware. I only got as far as turning off Twonky. It always was very slow using dashboard, until it started timing out. I tried 3 cables, 2 computers, two routers and direct connect. So I called WD got an RMA and was told about 3 days for a replacement on Jan 9 and it’s Feb 9 and I’ve been told another week, maybe.  I asked for a refund and was told we don’t refund drives bought at other retailers, but if the drive was delivered when I was told, it would of been within the 15 days the seller gave me. I read where one fellow got a refund. Are there any others?

I only registered onto this forum today and after having reviewed all the negatives, I’m reluctant to go back with WD.

Purchased my 2TB unit in Dec’10 so now outside the Amazon warranty but still covered by WD 3yr warranty.

WD will only give a refurbished unit; their policy doesn’t allow a new unit to be sent out.

Amazon, however, made an exception to being outside the expiry date, and offered a full refund with the return, or a NEW replacement if they had in stock (which they don’t at the moment of writing).

Additionally, I’m not obligated to buy another from them, so not going with WD anymore (too many reliability issues)

Also, both WD and Amazon will allow data retrieval by a qualified tech prior to returning the unit.

No brainer… You decide.

As all of us I have the same issue, personally I do not accept that a normal user should need to go into details as enabling ssh and fiddling with the Linux system. I have backed up the contents of the drive and since I am in Sweden I will probably be offered a new drive or similar from the store I bought it in. But for me that does not matter since the drive system is so obviously poor and full of problems and WD even not replying in this (their own) forum I decided to buy a totally different NAS and to physically use the old one as a brick. Good luck all of You trying…

By the way does anybody know what type of disk is inside the box? maybe it could be ripped out and put in another NAS with an empty tray.

any word on this, I just noticed the same problem (no UI, remote access dead, smartware not working/detecting the drive) just yesterday after I tried adding the software to a new laptop build out at home. For those that contacted WD, are they shipping replacement units? Can I get replacement unit before I ship back mine so I can copy my data off?

Is there any other way of fixing the issue without sending it back? Thanks.

This maybe a little off topic, as I am unable to access ui nor map the drive and access my files, so my mbl is bricked.

Right now, whats important for me is the data in it, vs having it replaced. My concern really is, if I get the bare hard drive disk off of the casing, would I get any trouble extracting my files in there? Am I going to have any issues with encryption of some sort, if I try to mount the hard drive to my pc directly?

Because if getting the hdd with all my data safe is not possible, my mbl is still under warranty and I would go for replacing the device rather than having nothing at all. Hoping for your kind response. TIA

razorous wrote:

This maybe a little off topic, as I am unable to access ui nor map the drive and access my files, so my mbl is bricked.

Right now, whats important for me is the data in it, vs having it replaced. My concern really is, if I get the bare hard drive disk off of the casing, would I get any trouble extracting my files in there? Am I going to have any issues with encryption of some sort, if I try to mount the hard drive to my pc directly?

Because if getting the hdd with all my data safe is not possible, my mbl is still under warranty and I would go for replacing the device rather than having nothing at all. Hoping for your kind response. TIA

I would get in touch with our Support group and see what they say about this.  I wouldn’t want you to void your warranty if the drive is encrypted.   And maybe they can help.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

scamps wrote:

It to have a similar problem but got there in a different way. I updated my firmware via the Internet when I got my MBL last month. Played with it for several days then did a  factory reset and long format. I set the unit up with the shares, users, name and static IP. The last thing I did was re-apply the firmware via file and bye bye UI. The strange thing is it is not totally gone. If I go http://campscloud/UI I get the “Let us help you” window only. I can go directly to any of the main pages but cannot effect a change. EG http://campscloud/UI/settings/ and I can navigate the tabs and open drop downs. I can add an email address for user notifications but it wont take. I can type a new name for the MBL but can not save it and worst of all I can select enable SSH but it wont enable. I have done several more resets and am back to DHCP but no UI. The MBL is serving data just fine. I running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and I have used several versions of IE, Firefox and Chrome.

I will be calling support this morning.

I have EXACTLY the same problem! Is there any news about how we can correct this?

And furthermore:

I’ve seen here a message saying:

Are you familiar with SSH? If so, move any and all data stored on the drive to the public share and run the following command which will perform a factory restore without deleting data:

/usr/local/sbin/factoryRestore.sh noreformat

Use at your own risk

Where do I feed this command line?

Problem still occurring as of 2/24/2012. These units need to be recalled and pulled off the shelves IMO.

Seems SOMEBODY could have written a firmware repair utility by now. It appears they don’t really care yet.

Also the many linux suggestions here look great, but I think the newer models have no way to access this.

PS. The Capcha on this forum is nearly impossible to read.

Just two hours and mine is exactly the same.  Can’t get to dashboard, drive constantly churning. After extensive reading appears to be no solution.  Back to Amazon.  As last poster stated, these should have been pulled off the shelves.

More like any suspect and dodgy firmware needs to be pulled off W.D.'s web site immediately.

Also, what would be useful is to determine what sort of network the failed MyBook Live’s are working on that caused the faults with the dashboard going faulty.

Maybe I’m tempting fate by writing this, but my MBL is working absolutely fine and dandy and I’ve applied every update. So what’s the trigger that caused the dashboard failures.

Only if SSH is enabled very soon after the MyBook Live is first turned on.

mmichaels1970 wrote:
Also the many linux suggestions here look great, but I think the newer models have no way to access this.