BUG v1.01.11 - HDMI->DVI stuck on 480p on WDTV Live

Hah!  Congrats.  :)   Cables can cause all sorts of issues; especially when dealing with high frequencies!

Yep, in the latest version, you can force output of a very specific resolution and refresh rate by going to Settings → Audio/Video → HDMI → Choose your resolution & refresh rate.

So I bought the WD live with great aspirations of watching x.264 formats but got bummed with this stupid HDMI–>DVI issue. Incidentally  I have an Akai DLP which works great with two up converting players both  DVI to HDMI cables and also a HD PVR .

Now I would really like the Network option in the live and would hope for a fix soon . However it really seems unlikely at the moment as I was on the horn with the WD tech and they have no plans for a fix as ‘yet’ (is being very presumptuous) . Basically they didn’t even care –the guy went further to claim that DVI only TVs are getting redundant…(what a dumb **bleep**).

To sum up :-

1. Have slit out edges of the HDMI cable to ensure a snug fit àresult nothing
  2. Tried using the old update firmwareà still nothing
  3. Tried using the new update and forcing the output again à no result
  4. Returned the unit twice and tried it with two different units (separate stores batch #s) à L

Any other suggestions are welcome ( have I missed out anything?) as I don’t want to go to the gen 1 (doesn’t  serve the purpose) and I don’t want to use component (get a green hue on any content that’s played) and obviously not in the market to buy a new TV.

I had the opportunity to test run a modified version of B-rad fw and it SOLVED the hdmi/dvi 480p stuck problem.  I was able to get 720p and 1080p no problem from my hdmi/dvi display.  Just wait for the official release of B-rad as it will address this problem, it should come out hopefully this month.

The problem is that currently, if the resolution you select isn’t listed as a supported resolution in your TV’s EDID, the WDTV Live will fall back to the highest supported resolution that it can output (which is usually 480p when connected to a DVI monitor). The fix is to let the WDTV force these output resolutions and let the TV handle scaling. This fix is planned, but I can’t make any guarantees about when it’ll make it into a firmware update.

Hi,

I also had this problem. But there is neat way to overcome this problem. First look for fonts, where they are smooth. If not its running at 480. So Remove HDMI cable and insert again with your montior turned on. See whether the fonts are now smooth. If so, you getting atleast 720p.

But the thing is WDTV restores to 480, one in ten restart. You need to the unplug & plug again. My Samsung montior acts like this.

Regards,

Prakash.

HPrakash is right OR the pre-released firmware fixes the problem.

Yesterday, I successed to display 720p with my 19" acer monitor (1440x900).

My device: WD HD TV Live.

Firmware: the current pre-released.

TEST I.

1. without connecting to the monitor, turned on my WD HD TV Live.

2. connected the cable (HDMI->DVI) to my monitor

3. turned on the monitor

4. checked the information on the monitor and saw the resolution of 720p.

TEST II.

1. with every device connected to each other, monitor was turned of.

2. turned on the WD HD TV Live.

3. after I thought my WD HD TV Live booted properly, I turned on my monitor.

4. checked the information on the monitor and saw the resolution of 720p.

I think if my monitor highest resolution > or = 1080p , it may be able to display the full hd (1080p).

I returned the WD unit and bought the viewsonic VM70-- its cheaper and the DVI works like a charm ( all the formats are supported as well).