Attention Themers FW Version 3.07.14

ipsosReid wrote:

@Bill_S:

On the defence, are you?

What about giving us some real answers.  You know what the problem is, but, you replied with arrogance and disdain.  There is no need for a request to be sent to any specified location, just give us some answers.  Something like: " WD values its current customers and will do everything in its effort to reslove the ‘video_run’ issue.  We made a mistake in not informing the community about  some changes that we’ve made.  And these changes have affected you, our valued customer.  Please be patient while we resolve this issue."  That’s how you treat customers you intend to keep.

I wasn’t trying to defend anything.  I was simply giving an explanation for why I did what I did.  As for the rest of what you’re saying, if it’s an issue with this firmware, please post it in the issue exchange.  Then, we have something we can push over to the product people. 

However, I do apologize for how any of the changes that were made may have messed up the theming on the device.  I personally think that theming adds a lot to this community.  I love what you guys are doing.  It’s inventive, artistic, and provides tremendous value to the product.   So don’t ever think I don’t care, because I do.

3 Likes

Bill_S, Why isn’t theming shown the same respect with regards to developement that it was originally intended to. It was an advertised feature when I purchased my hub and there were downloadable themes directly from the hub itself. It seems as if the process has intentionally been ignored or made more difficult throughout the products lifespan instead of embraced by WD. It doesn’t seem like it would take much effort to accept completed and compatible themes and place them somewhere to be installed directly from the hub thus making the whole thing more available and more easily accessed by your average user. The value it adds to the hub would then be put to better use, wouldn’t you agree? I would also argue that themers who put in hard work should have their requests which seem rather easily implemented considered with a great deal more thought. Just saying.

Not that any of these things are directly in your control so I don’t mean to insinuate that, by the way.

1 Like

@double08 - Thanks much from providing this information regarding the video_run.xml.  This will make a bunch of people with custom themes happy.

I also saw your post regarding how you extracted the latest theme files.  Thank you for the infomation, unfortunately for me this looks to be way over my head (very little linux knowledge).  Hopefully some people more skilled w/ linux can provide the updated theme files as the GPL Code release rar files do not contain anything new from previously releases.

Tinwarble wrote:

@flhthemi,

Yes, that was already an issue, theme xmls don’t have anything to do with how the HUB/SMP operate and that is a FW issue.

Also, as I don’t have any avi’s I can’t say for sure, but it’s been reported that if you press the search button on the remote the “Skip to Desired Time” box will appear.  You can try it out and see if it works.

Confirmed! It DOES work when playing an avi file and .iso DVDs.

Bill_S, Themers and others,

Bill, thank for taking the time to moderate and respond to concerns. Themers, thank you for the work that you do. Other contributors, thank for your input. It can get frustrating from all sides when things get broken or and upgrade is really a downgrade. Changes are made by some coder in the back office coding or having to take orders from a suit who hardly read these posts and hearing our praises, suggestions and complains. I’m one of those senior exec in a suit for a Fortune 100 company by day and a geek by night and weekends. 

One thing I’ve learned over the years is to listen to the internal customers (other employees) and the external customers (people who buy the product). One can’t meet everyone’s desires but strive to go out of the way to please them and you’ll have a winning business for the sustainable future.

Has WDC thought of leveraging the strengths of some of these themers to test out their beta firmwares before releasing the official firmware? These people are passionate about their contributions and work hard to give back to the community and help WDC sell more products.