Attaching USB drive causes EX4 to become unresponsive

Has anyone figured this out? I have the exact same problem. The last time I called Customer service, they had no idea what I was talking about. I am using a WD external HDD to back up my WD MYCLOUDEX4 and it just crashes after a few moments.

This shouldn’t be an issue. You would think this would be fixed by now. Step it up WD.

I had to go out and buy a new PR4100 and go through hell to get everything transferred over to it because I just cannot trust the EX4.

Please check this article to determine if the Seagate drive is an UAS device: My Cloud: Not Accessible After Connecting a USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Device

If it indeed is, then unfortunately there is no way to connect it to the NAS.

Get Outlook for iOShttps://aka.ms/o0ukef

1 Like

New to this thread. I have tied everything above with no results. Currently moved the files I want to be on the EX4 to another drive and uploaded via network, got the same results as USB connection, grinding to a halt. Found one image file (jpeg) that is corrupt in some respects. It can be opened with windows fax/image viewer but displays as corrupt when using adobe photoshop. Going to remove any files like this and see if it stabilizes.

Thanks for your response. I am using a western digital passport ultra. It works fine on my new pr4100 however it crashes my ex4. I have 2 different passports, each have the same result.

Thanks for sharing. Please keep us in the loop. I called tech support yesterday and they are unaware of the issue.

I recently attached a 10tb Seagate Backup Plus with integrated USB Hub with an attached 2 TB My Book attached it. Both drives were connected and attached to an old 4TD My Cloud via USB. At first everything seemed to work nicely, was able to access all drives via File Explorer on my PC and view files and folders using the WD MyCloud app. Then The WD MyCloud app stopped e working and I could no longer log in to the MyCloud dashboard. I think the issue started after I had deleted a lot of duplicate pictures. after hours/days it would allow me to log back in. I finally unplugged the 10tb Seagate Backup Plus and went back to attaching just the 2 TB My Book. Things seemed better. Until once again I deleted some images and files on the attached USB drive. I assume the MyCloud drive becomes unresponsive as it is re-indexing the data from the attached drive? Is there a way to have a USB drive connected for sharing files (and manually backing up the MyCloud drive) but not have the MyCloud drive index the attached USB drive? Thanks.

SO - - - if you are using OS3 (this is the OS3 subforum); then you are not using the WD mycloud app, right? That was “turned off” about a year ago.

I ask this because OS3 and OS5 handle external drives slightly differently.
In both cases the new USB drive would be treated as new share.
You can set indexing “cloud functions” on or off per share.
IIRC, OS5 will default to “index off” on that share.
IIRC, OS3 will default to “index on” on that share - - - > which is Horribly annoying if you attach a 10TB drive full of media. (I no longer attach large USB drives to the OS/3 Myclouds)

Incidentally; I did not think you could attach a usb hub to an MyCloud USB port. I thought it was for a single drive ONLY (not a full blown normal PC usb port)