Anyone try Plex yet?

If you keep Plex turned on the Settings home page will tell you if your version is current or if there’s a new version available.  If there’s a new version available, then you can download it and and update your Plex as follows:

Updating Plex.

1.  Download the update for your WD NAS to your computer(a *.bin file).

2.  Open your My Cloud User Interface.

3.  Navigate to the Apps Page.

4.  Select “Add a new App” (the small box with a “+” on the lower left.)

5.  Select “Manually add a new App.”

6.  Navigate to where you downloaded the update file (*.bin).

7.  Select the *.bin update.

8.  Follow instructions from there.

I am running Plex on a DL4100 for 2 days now and it seems to work just fine so far.  Installation and configuring were relatively painless.  It took a bit longer to figure out how to update to the newest version.  I guess that the software bundled with the NAS is an earlier version so that it shouldn’t be a surprise that updating is required as soon as you’ve installed the bundled package.  See my note elsewhere in this thread for an updating protocol.

I have kept the Twonky Server running as well so that both DLNA servers appear as options on my televisions.  I may disable one or the other eventually.  Although, I seem to be liking the Plex server more than the Twonky.  But that may just be first blush.

I bought the Plex Premium option (Plex Pass).  It’s supposed to provide some premium content and options, e.g., free apps for mobile devices.  Will give it a try.

The first problem I encountered was when I attempted to create a Plex “Premium Music Library.”  YOu need an Internet connection to do this (which I have).  But the Plex application could not detect my Internet connection.  I contacted Plex and this is a known issue that they hope to correct in the next version.