An alternative to WD Photos?

Ok, in screen shot http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp283/HalloweenJack2/Putty5_zpscac3db9b.jpg

It shows in the /shares/Public/ folder there is a smlink called SharedPictures (no space) which points to /shares/Private/Photos

This is the issue, as mentioned the symlink MUST have a space in it. Remove the symlink and recreate, this time with a space and it should work

Post a new screen shot of a ls -l of the folder again so I can check if it doesnt work

Remember the command to create the smlink correctly is below, i suggest you copy and paste

ln -s /shares/Private/Photos /shares/Public/Shared\ Pictures

Ah that makes sense. I missed a space at that stage.

How do I remove the old smlink?

rm /shares/Public/Shared\ Pictures

Suggest copy paste to avoid typos
Btw, i think when you do a firmware upgrade on the nas you will need to redo the symlinks and samba settings, yet to do this as havent been a new firmware for a bit

Howd it go, huh huh huh??? :slight_smile:

Cool thanks.

Not too worried about the doing it again after firmware. My memory’s terrible but as long as I write down it’s pretty straight forward. As long as I watch out for spaces. :slight_smile:

I’ll have to wait till I get home to try. Probably asbout 8ish.

Looking for to it :slight_smile:

hmmm… error message on that:

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp283/HalloweenJack2/Putty7_zpse40cc79e.jpg

made a mistake before. as the wrong symlink doesn’t have a space it should be

rm /shares/Public/SharedPictures

however its odd you already have a directory with the space in it, you’ll need to get rid of this as well, otherwise you can’t create the symlink.  make sure you remove any content out of the directory first to where you want it.  suggest doing this through windows, then remove the directory in windows.

Hi there,

I fiddled about last night before bed and before reading your last post.

I tried putting the line back to writable = yes

I was looking at FileBrowser on my phone and inside Shared Pictures the symlink showed up. Strangely perhaps, it allowed me to delete it, on the phone.

I tried

ls -l /shares/Public

ls /shares/Public/Shared\ Pictures/*

(I have tried this a few times this image is not after the first attempt)

then

ls -l /shares/Public   again

Here’s what I got:

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp283/HalloweenJack2/Putty8_zpsc68ebe56.jpg

So I don’t know. Does this mean the symlink with no space has gone, it has then entered the new symlink. It’s there but not showing up, but is stopping anotther being added? I’m confused :frowning:

Edit: Oh, and thanks for your tremendous patience :slight_smile:

No, still not right, you get rid of the shared pictures folder, as it can’t creat the symlink, as a directory already exists

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp283/HalloweenJack2/Putty9_zps8260b3a6.jpg

I hadn’t realised we were deleting the folder. I see now. But still doing something wrong :frowning:

Sorry, it’s not showing as empty in windows.

Ok. Please read what i type carefully, read re it several times until you clearly understand it.

The issue is you have most likely created a symlink to your photos folder in the shared pictures, probably because when you entered the command i sent you, the folder already existed. In any case you need to remove the shared pictures folder and recreate the symlink from scratch.

However, this is the important bit. You need to make sure you have a backup/copy of your photos folder if there is anything you want to keep in it. The below shouldn’t delete the folder, just the bogus symlink, however best to be safe.

Ok, copy paste all these commands in, send me screen shot of result. IM ASSUMING YOU HAVE BACKED UP YOU PHOTOS FOLDER BEFORE DOING THIS.

rm /shares/Public/Shared\ Pictures/Photos
rmdir /shares/Public/Shared\ Pictures

I think I see where I’ve been misunderstanding you and the form that symlinks take:

We want to get rid of the Shared Pictures dir and replace it with a symlink file called Shared Pictures.

This symilink points to Private/Photos so when you look at the symlink it opens that folder instead.

Photos folder is already backed up on 2 other drives.

I did have a folder called Photos in Shared Pictures that I got rid of a while back. 

Yep, u got it. You right from here?

I think so. I’ll try tonight.

It’s such a simple solution when I look at it now, no idea how I’ve managed to drag it out for so long :slight_smile:

Still, I might be speaking to soon, I’ll believe it when I see it working in a way. But now I understand what needs to happen, at what level and a few linux commands to check things I’m feeling vaguely confident.

I’ll let you know how it goes, but thanks so much for all you time and effort. I really do appreciate it.

I owe you a pint

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp283/HalloweenJack2/1274472280-imperial-pint-glass1_zps7a632eba.jpg

Yep you do, the thought had crossed my mind on a nice cold beer.

Look me up if your in new zealand :slight_smile:

Howd u go?

Hi there, sorry for long delay, I’ve been a bit tied up with family stuff.

Great! it’s working. I can now share some photos with family and send movs to clients without eveyone having full access to all my photos.

Only annoying thing is that of the 3 groups of people I have sent web access to, none have managed to connect yet. Perhaps even less technically savvy than me :slight_smile:

Oh well, hopefully they’ll get it to work one day.

Thanks so much for all your help :slight_smile:

Cheers

No worries